Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 02:14:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian Sears at Yonkers Article  (Read 790 times)
burton

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »

Pretty good article below.
He is kicking butt at Yonkers.
Winning at a 27% clip.
George Brennan is at 17%.
No contest here.
But most knew this would happen.

Sears is on a roll at the Hilltop
Thursday, February 07, 2013 - by Ken Weingartner, Harness Racing Communications

Freehold, NJ --- Brian Sears is making himself feel at home at Yonkers Raceway.
So far this year, Sears is winning at a 27.3-percent clip at the New York oval and sits atop the driver standings with 47 victories and $595,240 in purses. His horses’ earnings rank No. 3 in all of North America this season and the win total is seventh best.

“Things are going well, no doubt about it,” Sears said. “You have to get the opportunities, and sometimes you get on a little roll, but I’m not going to keep up that pace. But it’s certainly nice to get off to a good start.”

Brian Sears is off to a great start at Yonkers in 2013.
Sears finished third in wins at Yonkers in 2012 despite racing there on a limited basis. He also finished fourth at Meadowlands Racetrack, where he was the leading driver six times previously in his career. He decided to drive more regularly at Yonkers this year because of opportunities -- Yonkers is racing five days a week compared to the Meadowlands’ three.

“I struggled with the decision, but (Yonkers) is close to home and I know I’ll have a place to work regularly without having to run all over to get drives,” Sears said. “It’s a good group of people to race for and drive with.”

Sears, who has won 8,137 races lifetime, ranks No. 6 in harness racing history in purses, with $136 million. He has won 23 Breeders Crown events, good for fourth place all time, and captured many of the sport’s top stakes races, including the Hambletonian, Hambletonian Oaks, Kentucky Futurity, Meadowlands Pace and North America Cup.

He also was the regular driver of Horse of the Year winners Muscle Hill (2009) and Rocknroll Hanover (2005).

Last year, Sears saw his streak of seasons with at least $10 million in purses come to an end at eight, which is tied for the most in history (with David Miller and Ron Pierce). Sears missed reaching $10 million by less than $68,000.

“I never was too worried about streaks,” said Sears, who was voted Driver of the Year in 2009 by the U.S. Harness Writers Association. “I’m just happy being able to make a living doing something I love. I feel very fortunate. I’m very blessed to be able to do what I’m doing.”

Brian Sears and Arch Madness were second in the 2012 Elitlopp.
One of Sears’ special moments last year came when he traveled to Sweden to drive Arch Madness in the prestigious Elitlopp. Although the duo finished second to Commander Crowe, it was memorable.

“It was a great experience and a relatively successful trip,” Sears said. “I’m really glad I did that. It’s one of those experiences that I don’t have to look back on to realize how special it was. I knew it was special when it was happening.”

As for this year, Sears has one goal: To make as many people as possible feel happy.

“I just enjoy my job and performing at a high level,” Sears said. “As long as I’m doing my job to the best of my ability, I feel good. But what is really the best feeling is bringing a horse back to the winner’s circle and seeing someone happy. Whether it’s a Breeders Crown or $15,000 claimer, I enjoy putting a smile on someone’s face.”

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:15:12 PM by burton » Report to moderator   Logged
burton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »

Bump for those who might have missed it yesterday and are bored in the snowstorm tonight.
Report to moderator   Logged
jks best

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »

Yonkers Top 5 Drivers
From 01/01/2013 thru 02/06/2013
------------Pct Strts 1st 2nd 3rd UDRS Purses
Sears Brian 27.3 172 47 29 20     .406   595,240
Kakaley Matt 23.1 160 37 16 24  .337   492,350
Brennan George 17.2 198 34 38 29 .327 551,790
Bartlett Jason 10.7 177 19 25 17 .218   362,785
Stratton Jordan 9.3 151 14 13 30 .207  261,950

Purses are almost equal & GB has had 1 Gilbert Garcia-Herrera drive. Most saw this coming? LOL. Lets see the stats ina few months. Brennan lost many drives that Sears gained. That is because he opted off to drive for GGH. Some of us knew this but apparently not Burton.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »

Yonkers Top 5 Drivers
From 01/01/2013 thru 02/06/2013
------------Pct Strts 1st 2nd 3rd UDRS Purses
Sears Brian 27.3 172 47 29 20     .406   595,240
Kakaley Matt 23.1 160 37 16 24  .337   492,350
Brennan George 17.2 198 34 38 29 .327 551,790
Bartlett Jason 10.7 177 19 25 17 .218   362,785
Stratton Jordan 9.3 151 14 13 30 .207  261,950

Purses are almost equal & GB has had 1 Gilbert Garcia-Herrera drive. Most saw this coming? LOL. Lets see the stats ina few months. Brennan lost many drives that Sears gained. That is because he opted off to drive for GGH. Some of us knew this but apparently not Burton.
I guess you knew Brennan would be third behind Kakaley at this point?
jks best

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »

Only if i knew Burke was going to imitate Pena. I did not give much thought to it. Driving titles are not won in January.
TheRedMile

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »

looks like sears made the right move !
burton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »

won three more races Thursday night!!!
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

Sears can win from anywhere on the track with any horse.  Brennan is just a shade below Sears.  This was always my opinion but both remain in the top 4 in North America, along with Tetrick & Gingras.  You cannot go wrong with driving any of those guys in any race.

I assume Kakaley will go to PCD when they reopen but he has clearly demonstrated that he will be a force for many, many years.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »

Sears can win from anywhere on the track with any horse.  Brennan is just a shade below Sears.  This was always my opinion but both remain in the top 4 in North America, along with Tetrick & Gingras.  You cannot go wrong with driving any of those guys in any race.

I assume Kakaley will go to PCD when they reopen but he has clearly demonstrated that he will be a force for many, many years.
kakaley most likely will be a forece.
He's ahead of Brennan in the standings.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:52 PM »

kakaley most likely will be a forece.
He's ahead of Brennan in the standings.

My understanding is Matt has a house near Pcd.  Competition is not as fierce there - he was 2nd behind Nap last year, compared to battling Sears, Brennan & Bartlett but I guess he'll do/go wherever Burke wants.  I don't think he'll stay ahead of Brennan for long.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: