Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 01:04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One great owner from Suffolk, Virginia  (Read 742 times)
Juicejunkies

Ignore Button Below↓↓↓

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »

I don't recall the last time I seen his name on a program as either a breeder or owner but Fermer Perry was one of the sports best owners.

Fermer was a lumberjack and called the small town of Suffolk, Virginia home.   I have never been to Virginia but I am guessing that little town has changed alot since the 70's when Fermer plied his trade and promoted the sport of harness racing.

Fermer won 2 jugs, one with Herve(Nansemond, 1971) and the later with Stanley Dancer(Keystone Ore, 1976) at the reigns.   

Nansemond beat Albatross in 1971.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm8ZCWcdsPE
Report to moderator   Logged
Jerome B

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »

GREAT SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ARTICLE ON NANSEMOND.
Doing His Jig With The Jug
Herve Filion danced off with pacing's most esteemed trophy after driving Nansemond to an improbable victory over the mighty Albatross!

By William F. Reed [/b]

Nancemond was a full brother to the great pacer Isle Of Wight and I believe Nancy Isle was a full sister. Im missing someone in that family
Juicejunkies

Ignore Button Below↓↓↓

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »

Nancemond was a full brother to the great pacer Isle Of Wight and I believe Nancy Isle was a full sister. Im missing someone in that family

WE NEED A HISTORIAN.
Jerome B

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »

Im guessing that Isle Of Wight was named for Isle Of Wight County in Virginia as opposed to the tourist resort located  near the UK. Im fairly sure Perry owned that horse as well. Herve drove most of Fermer Perry's  stock back then, but of course Stanley won the Jug with Keystone Ore

Quite an accomplishment for Perry to have taken home those 2 Jugs in his lifetime---a lumberjack from Suffolk, Va. You never know. But anytime you can get your hands on  The Jug,(Or Jugs) well what can one say ?
Juicejunkies

Ignore Button Below↓↓↓

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »

Im guessing that Isle Of Wight was named for Isle Of Wight County in Virginia as opposed to the tourist resort located  near the UK. Im fairly sure Perry owned that horse as well. Herve drove most of Fermer Perry's  stock back then, but of course Stanley won the Jug with Keystone Ore

Quite an accomplishment for Perry to have taken home those 2 Jugs in his lifetime---a lumberjack from Suffolk, Va. You never know. But anytime you can get your hands on  The Jug,(Or Jugs) well what can one say ?

IN THOSE YEARS IT WAS A BIG DEAL AND CARRIED A TON OF WEIGHT.

NOW IT IS JUST ANOTHER RACE, THOUGH STILL THE BIGGEST LIVE CROWD DRAW IN THE GAME.

SOMEHOW RACING NEEDS TO FIND A WAY TO DRAW PERMANENT FANS FROM THAT LITTLE FAIR WITH SUCH DEEP ROOTS.
Jerome B

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »

Excellent Sports Illustrtated account of the Nansenond -Albatross Jug battle and Fermer Perry's big day

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085368/index.htm
Jerome B

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »

Nansemond was sired by Tar Heel who also happened to sire a tremendous pacer Laverne Hanocver who was campaigned by Billy Haughton.  thumbs up
Juicejunkies

Ignore Button Below↓↓↓

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:27 AM »

Keystone Ore and Stanley Dancer, Horse of the Year, 1976, Owned in part by Fermer, Perry.   A quality owner from Suffolk, VA

This photo preserved at a guy I respect for his work scanning and updating his database on harness racing.

http://www.mi-harness.net   This is Wilderness's site.   Thank-you Don for all your hard work.

Bump.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:01:09 AM by jrstark » Report to moderator   Logged
Orb

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 06:03:27 AM »

I wonder if Chuck Perry is a descendant, I know he is from that area, very good horseman and driver also.
Jay Haverty

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »

I am one of Fermer Perry's great nephews. Chuck Perry is also one of Fermer's great nephews and is still raising harness racers.  The farm, Happy Valley Stock Farm, was one of my favorite places to visit as a kid, horses everywhere! That farm was originally purchased by our great grandmother and where my grandmother, Fermer and their siblings were all raised, was sold outside of the family a few years ago. Most of Fermer and Louise's grandchildren and great grandchildren are still in or close to Suffolk Va.  Robert Perry was also active in horse racing but today Chuck is the only person active in any horse racing capacity.
NJGUY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »

Jay, Did Bob Meyers also train for him ?  I also remember going to Freehold back in the 70's and I think they raced a horse
named Todlew's Hot Toddy.  I used to play that horse all the time !!!
NJGUY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »

Jay, Sorry I was wrong.  As soon as I posted that question I remembered it was another owner from VA. named Ashton Lewis I don't
know if you ever heard of him.  Sorry about that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: