Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 05:30:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marquetry has Passed  (Read 523 times)
Mary Ann

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

Just got an e-mail from Michael Blowen at Old Friends:

From Michael..

If I'd written this yesterday, like I was supposed to do, it would be a much happier update.

We lost Marquetry this morning. He was humanely euthanized after injuring himself in a freakish stall accident. We await the results of the necropsy. But that is not, of course, what really matters. Selfishly, I can say that I lost one of by best friends as did anyone who ever had the good fortune to lay eyes on one of the most magnificent Thoroughbreds who ever lived.

I like, to one degree or another, all of our retirees. But I only truly love a few and Marquetry is at the top of the list.  I apologize, in advance, for this sort of self-indulgence but Marquetry was a very, very special friend.

After spending each day in his paddock, directly in front of the house so we could appreciate the view, he'd greet Reymundo at the gate at 4 p.m. sharp. He'd prance up the driveway, walk through the barn door and into his stall where fresh hay, feed and carrots awaited him. If there were not enough carrots, he'd shoot us a look and neigh. He knew what he wanted and when he wanted it but he was never rude. His majesty is difficult to capture in words. But photographs taken by Barbara Livingston, Anne Eberhardt Keogh, Matt Wooley and Rick Capone all provide testimony to his brilliance.

It's funny how these things happen but just the other day, as I was cutting his carrots on the bench in the barn, I looked over at him and thought it would be great if Bobby Frankel could come back for just a few seconds to see how wonderful everything worked out.

But Marquetry was, as we all are, mortal. But for many years he had me fooled. We have, and will, retire many great horses. But none will ever take his place. I can promise you that. Thanks to all of you...our old friends..who are always there when we need you most.

Press Release:

Marquetry, a GR1 winner and top sire, died today at Old Friends, the Thoroughbred Retirement Facility in Georgetown, KY.

The 26-year-old stallion was humanely euthanized after suffering serious injury in a stall accident.  Veterinarians from Hagyard Equine Medical Institute attended to the injured horse, and a full necropsy report is expected in a few days.

Michael Blowen, president and founder of Old Friends, made the announcement this afternoon.

Marquetry, by 1982 Horse of the Year Conquistador Cielo out of the Vice Regent mare Regent's Walk, won 10 of 36 career starts and earned $2,857,886. He was a Grade 1 winner on both dirt and turf, registering victories in the 1991 Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap (G1), 1992 Eddie Read Handicap (G1), and 1993 Meadowlands Cup Handicap (G1).

He is the sire of Breeders' Cup winners and Eclipse sprint champions Artax  (1999) and Squirtle Squirt (2001).

The flashy chestnut retired at age six to Ben. P. Walden Jr.'s Vinery near Midway, KY, but subsequently stood at Stonewall Farms Ocala, Florida division where he was pensioned in 2010 due to declining fertility.

"We have, and will, retire many great horses," said Blowen. "But none will ever take his place."
Report to moderator   Logged
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »

Beautiful tribute to the old boy.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »

In remembering Marquetry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iFmnDMSVlU
Luc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »

Sad news. His last career race was in the Hawthorne Gold Cup in 1993. He got beat a nose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: