Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 26, 2014, 02:54:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The greatest 3yr old season for a filly ever  (Read 905 times)
jdizigg

« on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6kMf6ODGjI

My favorite thouroughbred ever... I doubt we will ever see it again...  Cry
Report to moderator   Logged
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »

ill go elsewhere and just in recent times. howbout rags to riches 3yo season which included beating curlin in the belmont. think rachel ever beat a horse the calibur of curlin?
Ghostjones

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »

I like the music in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kRDFNFIl8
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »

From my perspective, Secretariat would have to have the best 3 year old year (unrestricted)  sarcasm.   

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »

RA did some amazing things as a 3YO. She was awesome. She ran against a bunch of Tomato cans in the filly division and crushed them so she took on the boys. She won the Haskell & Woodward. I would have liked to see her run in the Travers but the connections probably thought it was too far. I also would have loved to see the showdown in Arkansas with Zenyatta, but her Stablemate - Zardana - put the kibosh on that. Liked the horse, not the connections.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »

ill go elsewhere and just in recent times. howbout rags to riches 3yo season which included beating curlin in the belmont. think rachel ever beat a horse the calibur of curlin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xhrOk7jjTI
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »

Ruffian is another challenger to RA.

She earned the nickname "Queen of the Fillies"[citation needed] after being voted the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Two-Year-Old Filly in 1974 and winning the Filly Triple Crown (now called the Triple Tiara) in 1975. Ruffian was undefeated in her first ten races, covering distances from 5.5 furlongs (1.1 km) to 1.5 miles (2.4 km), with an average winning margin of 81⁄3 lengths. She won her maiden race in record time by 15 lengths. She was on the lead at every point of call in every race she ever ran. She set a new stakes record in each of the eight stakes races which she won. She had also equaled two track records. Ruffian's jockey Jacinto Vasquez was asked in an interview if it was hard to get in the lead at the beginning of races. He replied, "No, Ruffian sets her own pace and gets there on her own, even with other jockeys getting their fillies to try and push and knock her."[citation needed] Ruffian won the Sorority Stakes (setting a new stakes record) on a freshly popped splint, which, although not a serious injury, was painful, and enough to take the edge off of most horses

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
TheRedMile

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:52:03 AM »

ZARAKAVA

the undfeated winner of the 2008 arc
timeform rated at 133 1# below curlin and 4# above rachel
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »

Ruffian was in another class.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »

Beldame had a pretty good three-year-old year. You'll have to look it up, but she beat the colts like a drum.
jdizigg

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »

Not even on the same planet as RA as a 3yr old...
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »

Dahlia would rank up there and this was before racing became watered down. She beat the best 3 yo old fillies in Europe, the best older horses (both sexes) in the King George and QE, and then beat the same in the DC International in North America. She stamped herself by dropping 3 grade 1 winners.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:12:22 PM by JoeMama » Report to moderator   Logged
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »

It's a toss up between RA & Ruffian. Ruffian could have accomplished so much more and RA never ran in a Breeders Cup. Just wish...........
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »

Dahlia would rank up there and this was before racing became watered down. She beat the best 3 yo old fillies in Europe, the best older horses (both sexes) in the King George and QE, and then beat the same in the DC International in North America. She stamped herself by dropping 3 grade 1 winners.

I was trying to think of the top Euro fillies, who are more often tested against the best.  Dahlia is a great choice.  In the US, I think I'd take Ruffian over either Zenyatta or RA--and without question at less than 1 1/8 mi.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:45:58 PM by faster horses » Report to moderator   Logged
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 12:07:52 AM »

Thread is for 3YO Fillies. Zenyatta ran one or two times as a 3YO.
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »

Ruffian was in another class.

You're right, but not in the way you think.
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »

Not sure many 3 year old fillies ever beat a better field than Winning Colors in her Derby. That field included Seeking the Gold, Forty Niner, Risen Star, Regal Classic, etc.   Also lost by a lip to Personal Ensign in the Breeders cup that year and destroyed the field in the Santa Anita Derby.
Claiming King

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »

Not sure many 3 year old fillies ever beat a better field than Winning Colors in her Derby. That field included Seeking the Gold, Forty Niner, Risen Star, Regal Classic, etc.   Also lost by a lip to Personal Ensign in the Breeders cup that year and destroyed the field in the Santa Anita Derby.

Agreed. Risen Star was a great, great horse. Very underrated by history despite having a minor prep named for him. I would suggest that he is one of the top five three year olds in the past 25 years.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 09:34:51 PM »

Winning Colors needs to be mentioned. Good call. Her Derby win was spectacular.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »

Winner Colors: SA Derby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLhZy37BAM
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »

Agreed. Risen Star was a great, great horse. Very underrated by history despite having a minor prep named for him. I would suggest that he is one of the top five three year olds in the past 25 years.

Would have been interesting to see if he wins the Preakness if Day doesn't totally ride Forty Niner to screw Winning Colors. Floated her 4 wide first turn and kept her wide and she still put him away. She was done after that race and Lukas had no business putting her in the Belmont. She proved all she had to in defeat.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: