Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 18, 2014, 05:07:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Silence VS. Easy Goer  (Read 405 times)
journalstuff

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »

Am watching an HRTV edition of Inside Information about Sunday Silence VS. Easy Goer.

Who do you think in your opinion was much the best with the campaign during 1989?

Here were there major wins:

Easy Goer: Swale, Gotham, Wood Memorial, Belmont Stakes, Whitney Handicap, Travers, Woodward and Jockey Club Gold Cup

Sunday Silence: San Felipe, Santa Anita Derby, Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, Super Derby and Breeders Cup Classic
Report to moderator   Logged
444orr

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »

Sunday Silence beat Easy Goer 3 out of 4....I know the NY guys will go with Easy Goer ....Sunday Silence takes it.
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »

Not sure if either was much the best. At a mile and a half, I would say Easy Goer was much the best, but at shorter distances, I would say Sunday Silence was better. Easy Goer was more of a sustained effort horse... I guess you could say grinder while Sunday Silence was more push button. Many blame pat Day for Easy Goer's losses. I am not qualified enough to comment on riding. Easy Goer had a very short stud career but he threw top-notch runners while Sunday Silence went to Japan which might not be the same as North America but he was probably their best sire ever with the great Deep Impact on his list. Two of the all-time greats.
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:18:04 AM »

Sunday Silence was handier, he was quicker to the spot he needed to be in....but as far as better? If Pat Day moved a little sooner in the BC Classic and ran by SS by 2 lengths at the wire, we wouldnt be having this debate.....but its one of an all time great rivalries for sure.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »

Wasn't Day criticized for rushing Easy Goer up at the half-mile pole in the Preakness and getting beat?  If so, that may explain his delay in pushing the button in the Breeders Cup Classic in Florida later that year. 

A lot of handicappers gave Day the moniker  Pat "wait-all" Day after that race.

As for who was better I cannot say. They were BOTH champions, of different habits.  But I tend to lean toward horses who have not only a high-gear, but the ability to carry their speed a long way.  As a kid in the 70's, it was deep closers who seemed more exciting. 

The more you bet...the more you win
runninfool

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »

I agree with hungry...Sunday Silence was a much more agile horse than Easy Goer...If you watch the triple crown races, it looks as though Easy Goer always lost ground going into the turns (especially the far turn) and had to re-group and make sustained runs down the stretch (Derby/Preakness).  In the Belmont, he had more sweeping turns that allowed that lumbering frame to move more fluidly!  He had the same kind of issue in the BC Classic...lost ground on the turn, whereas Sunday Silence moved easily throughout.  From reading the different racing mags, Easy Goer was not very sound either, which could have affected his movement around the turns!

Additionally, in every race they competed, the break cost Easy Goer, as Sunday Silence moved away quickly and was always 2-3 lengths ahead going into the clubhouse turns.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: