Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 30, 2014, 01:21:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Sulkies be listed as Change of Equipment  (Read 933 times)
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »

When the Joe King Signature Sulky (Modified Sulky) was introduced at the conclusion of the Yonkers meet and into the Roosevelt meet at the tail end of 1975 the OTB bettors screamed bloody murder because the tracks refused to list which sulky would be used in the program or on the OTB entry list. At that time the contrast between the King and Nassau modified bikes and the traditional Jerald and Houghton wooden bikes was huge.
Report to moderator   Logged
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:15 AM »

Of course its an equipment change and should be listed.  How come they can chart bridle changes and not sulky changes?

The Meadowlands does a good job with sulky stats in the program, but that does not go far enough.  They announce the sulky when the horse post parades, but not the sulky the horse used the race before -- and that is all that matters -- the change.
hungry

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »

when the M1 announcer announces the sulkies, i shrug my shoulders and say "what good does this do me, i dont have time to note all the sulkies from previous weeks"

All i care about is if its a CHANGE. Meadowlands should do the leg work for the fans and list sulky changes, tell us if its a change or not.

Is anyone from the M1 reading this or listening?Huh??
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »

Of course its an equipment change and should be listed.  How come they can chart bridle changes and not sulky changes?

I said the same thing.  As for the comment that it is useless in handicapping, I totally disagree.  I find shoe changes, murphy blinds, hopple length & bridle changes useful but not as useful as a bike change.

And it depends on the trainer too.  One of the easiest ways to stiff a horse is put him in a bike that he doesn't fit or slap on a piece of equipment (could be a shadow roll or martingale or a jawbreaker bit) that annoys him.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
cecil127
the cat batting the VIP mouse!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:22 AM »

Psycho Dad and hungry both hit the nail on the head....

hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it....
Herve Filion
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »

If a horse has a UFO hooked to him one week with a top notch driver and races well, the next week the horse has a an old Tel Star and a top notch driver, should you then expect they same performance as the week before. Then what should you expect with an average driver using the old Tel Star. I think the older sulky will hinder both drivers. And that hindrance would be magnified if everyone else was using a UFO or similar modern sulky.   

Good questions.  The point is that we should have the information available so we can make our own decisions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: