Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 01, 2014, 05:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Illinois Residents in Top 3 at NHC  (Read 2092 times)
amtino06

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:25:31 AM »

The contest is only halfway through, but Jim Benes and David Gutfreund hold the 2nd and 3rd spots in the NHC in Vegas. I'm sure Hawthorne is pulling for Benes as that was his qualifying site. Good luck to him!                                                                                       http://www.drf.com/news/national-handicapping-championship-grose-opens-huge-lead-after-first-day
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:31:40 AM by amtino06 » Report to moderator   Logged
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »

That's "The Maven".  Haven't heard about him for years.  People on here would dog him out.  Saying his father bankrolled his horse playing.  I view that more as his father believes in him. If he wins the 2 mil he could pay him back and people will start giving him national props.
Report to moderator   Logged
Ready2Rumble4686

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »

The leader is from Wentzville. Mo. Im assuming he frequents Fairmount maybe?
orioles

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »

Jim Benes Wins
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »

Jim Benes Wins

Great news! Congratulations to him, and to Hawthorne!

And I don't think I have ever seen him carrying around sheets of any kind.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
amtino06

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »

I think it's awesome an Illinois guy won! According to this article from last year he's strictly a Chicago horse player outside of tourneys.

http://www.barntowire.com/2012/HAWnotes121018.html
tapetea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:39:57 PM »

Great news! Congratulations to him, and to Hawthorne!

Not even the Illinois Sports News, also known as The Green Sheet  Wink
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »

Kudos to mr. Benes.  Not many illinois track only pros out there.  And nice to see he beat all those guys with computer programs by using the drf newspaper version.  Brisnet always tries to get to these guys saying they used them.   Maybe drf will use him for ads since he quoted them?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:05:58 AM »

Some Sheets users do all of their handicapping at home, or view them on an iPad (or some other PDA)...so, your unwarranted anti-Sheets sidewinder missed (again).  doh 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »

Some Sheets users do all of their handicapping at home, or view them on an iPad (or some other PDA)...so, your unwarranted anti-Sheets sidewinder missed (again).  doh 

Except in this case I don't think I'm wrong. Jim is not a sheets guy.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »

Except in this case I don't think I'm wrong. Jim is not a sheets guy.

Maybe, maybe not. I think you are guessing. Jim is a very nice guy, but he's not very chatty -- all business during the wagering day. He occasionally stops in the Platinum room after the live card is over.

The point is, making assumptions about which handicapping tools or products people use by peeking over their shoulder at the track is prone to error (especially *paper* products -- my son puts the Form and the Sheets on his iPhone).

I called The Professor out on this very same erroneous assumption years ago when he was extolling the virtues of his newsletter while slamming track attendees who had little else other than a track program in front of them. You don't know.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

Maybe, maybe not. I think you are guessing.

Unless he has changed course in the past year, no.

The point is, making assumptions about which handicapping tools or products people use by peeking over their shoulder at the track is prone to error

There's no "peeking over the shoulder" involved. Jim's been a regular on the 3rd floor for a long time, far more than "occasionally stopping by the Platinum room". Everyone encounters him, and sometimes speaks with him.

We also have the additional evidence that "neither sheets service is braying about 'it was a sheets winner!' on their forum."

STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »

No matter the information, you have to know how to process it. In my opinion, Replays and trip notes are a great way to pick winners these days. Time consuming though.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »

That's "The Maven".  Haven't heard about him for years.  People on here would dog him out.  Saying his father bankrolled his horse playing.  I view that more as his father believes in him. If he wins the 2 mil he could pay him back and people will start giving him national props.

Wasn't the "Maven" on a Sportsmans Park replay show back in 2002?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

No matter the information, you have to know how to process it.

There's the heart of the matter. Everyone can handicap reasonably well with whatever tools they choose to employ. It's the decisions you make as a bettor that count.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »

Jim's been a regular on the 3rd floor...

Is this still true? How many times have you been to Hawthorne in the past year?

Even if it's a good guess, I still say you are guessing. ThoroGraph has picked up quite a few new users in the past two years while you have been away from the track. (Or is it more? You DO know about dime supers, right?  Grin )

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »

Is this still true? How many times have you been to Hawthorne in the past year?

doh

Friggin' genius you are. There is a reason I wrote "Unless he has changed course in the past year, no."

With ADW, I don't go nearly as much as I used to. However, the times I did go this Fall, there was Jim, wandering the 3rd floor as usual. I do admit I didn't keep moment to moment track of him.

Even if it's a good guess, I still say you are guessing.

It's an observation over many years.

ThoroGraph has picked up quite a few new users in the past two years

Oh yeah, any winner of a contest just HAS to be a TG user. It's just IMPOSSIBLE it could be otherwise, because that money rightfully belongs to TG users. And even if a guy is not known to be a TG user, he just MUST be a closet TG user to keep the narrative going.

screwy

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »

Oh yeah, any winner of a contest just HAS to be a TG user. It's just IMPOSSIBLE it could be otherwise, because that money rightfully belongs to TG users. And even if a guy is not known to be a TG user, he just MUST be a closet TG user to keep the narrative going.

Take your meds, Terry.

I never got close to any of what you suggest in your histrionic outburst above...simply pointing out that you have been away and can't be absolute sure that Jim (or anybody else you "know") is not using this or that. Plenty can change in a year. You don't know.     
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »

Wasn't the "Maven" on a Sportsmans Park replay show back in 2002?
I remember him on Kristufeks show back around that time.   I was on a plane going to the BC in 2003 and sat right behind him, he borrowed my form during the flight.

We spoke about the Classic race and I told him that there was too much speed in Medaglio D'oro and Congaree.   After I mentioned the blistering pace I saw coming, he said two words to me  "Pleasantly Perfect".     

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »

Take your meds, Terry.

never got close to any of what you suggest in your histrionic outburst above

Dude ... you're the one who went all histrionic over the mere suggestion that some major contest winner isn't using the sheets.

...simply pointing out that you have been away and can't be absolute sure that Jim (or anybody else you "know") is not using this or that. Plenty can change in a year. You don't know.

Plenty can, but in this case I sincerely doubt it. 

But we'll find out, I am sure.

mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »

Let's just all agree he did a great job taking down the $2,000,000 (I believe). I would love to have a shot at it, but I never do well in the qualifying tournaments.   dunno
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »

Yes, he did a terrific job.  I believe the prize was $750,000.  He loves to watch replays and make his own speed figures.  Also claims to be a professional handicapper does that mean he's unemployeed, retired, or has a wife that pays the bills?  He's a lot better capper than me and most if he can pay the bills playing the Chicago race circuit!
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »

Dude ... you're the one who went all histrionic over the mere suggestion that some major contest winner isn't using the sheets.

No, you are merely assuming things that I neither wrote nor inferred. 

My point was (and continues to be) that you can't assume what handicapping tools people use simply based on what they might or might not be "carrying around" (as you put it) at any given moment.

Why, if Equiforce had made a similar "observation only"-based assumption in the quarantine threads, you would have called her out on it -- and rightfully so.
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  Not that he won, but that he claims he's a professional illinois only horseplayer.  Anyone who can play clm5000n1y's at hawthorne and arlington polygarbage only. and say that is their only income, deserves mega props.  Because those fake pros who get paid to give out one winner a year are not pros.  This guy seems to be the real deal.
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 02:19:27 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  Not that he won, but that he claims he's a professional illinois only horseplayer.  Anyone who can play clm5000n1y's at hawthorne and arlington polygarbage only. and say that is their only income, deserves mega props.  Because those fake pros who get paid to give out one winner a year are not pros.  This guy seems to be the real deal.
Yes and did you notice that he is not BTW nattering all day about how great a handicapper he is.   

It takes a good deal of time and work to stay up on racing anywhere.   I give him all the credit to be able to come out ahead.      You are correct, most handicappers on TV or in print ever show you what they do over time (profit and loss wise).   

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: