Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 29, 2014, 07:29:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Day at the Races (Arlington Edition)  (Read 813 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:03 AM »

Gosh it was long drive out there! And the driver hit every bump!

Then when we got there, we had to walk a like a couple grueling minutes, or maybe 90 seconds, from the free parking lot to the (east) gate, and the flowers were real nice there spelling out Arlington, but I think they could have been a lot prettier!

After that came the agony of admission, which for us was free because S.O. had got some free tickets somewhere, and from what I understand others were paying $4, but dammit! I think they should have been paying us to attend!

And as for concessions, don't even get me started! I had a very tasty sammich for $8.50 up by Silks, but there was also (allegedly) a special down in the food court of burgers, chimps, and drink for like $5, and then the beer! $6 for a giant glass of craft or microbrew where the Sox charge $7.75 for a smaller glass of Miller. Just outrageous!

And these new machines treated me right all day not screwing up once, and the Mr. D's bar was a great place to watch the Sox thump the Twins and the Mets thump the Scrubs, and the air conditioning worked great, and there was good music on the PA like "Poke Salad Annie" and "Roadrunner" and CSN and "96 Tears", and all the restrooms were clean and so on, and the TV's were nice and clear. And I even won money on the day, despite the fact that I can't handicap my way out of a paper bag as you have all been told by various forum experts.

But dammit it was too hot and windy outside, and the polytrack stunk, and I couldn't see 1.5 seconds of the races because of the Little Woods, and AP just really needs to drop everything else they're doing and "do something" about that plus how long and bumpy the drive to get there was also!
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
orioles

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »

Still $8.00 this year ?,,  Is AP the highest addmission in the country , The only tracks worth $8.00 are Del Mar and Saratoga and Keeneland , What are their current prices.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »

I think the So Cal tracks are all up around $8, at least clubhouse. Another track you might not think would be expensive but is, is Emerald Downs ($7).

Saratoga and Keeneland still down around $5. (?)

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »

Tampa Bay Downs - free weekdays, $2 weekends.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »

They should raise their prices. They have at least two races on the orad to the Kentucky Derby, proving without a doubt they're a better and more meaningful track than AP.

(Which, come to think of it, the national horsemen have made them in recent years anyhow.)

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »

Smart boys and girls running Tampa. They get good crowds and surprisingly decent handle considering the low purses and the Ness/Midwest 3-5s.
farquarks

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »

Still $8.00 this year ?,,  Is AP the highest addmission in the country , The only tracks worth $8.00 are Del Mar and Saratoga and Keeneland , What are their current prices.

Santa Anita has a $5 non preferred parking charge for all cars (AP is free) with an equivalent or longer trek to the track, and an $8.50 clubhouse admission ($5 Grandstand). Far fewer free seats but a terrific view of the mountains. Of the non Racinos, I think AP's admission/parking charges are equivalent to the others.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »

Of the non Racinos, I think AP's admission/parking charges are equivalent to the others.

The only non-racinos/cardrooms that come close to AP are the So. Cal. tracks and Emerald.

The NYRA tracks are cheaper. (Belmont free parking plus $3 general, $5 clubhouse). The Kentucky tracks are cheaper (Keeneland $5). The Texas tracks are cheaper (Lone Star $5).

NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »

$5 to walk into Saratoga on Travers day. What does it cost to get into Arlington on Million day?
arlingtonmatt

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »

$5 to walk into Saratoga on Travers day. What does it cost to get into Arlington on Million day?
$20 for 2013
farquarks

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »

The only non-racinos/cardrooms that come close to AP are the So. Cal. tracks and Emerald.

The NYRA tracks are cheaper. (Belmont free parking plus $3 general, $5 clubhouse). The Kentucky tracks are cheaper (Keeneland $5). The Texas tracks are cheaper (Lone Star $5).

Here's a thought - don't go. Oh that's right, you don't. There are no other "entertainment" venues in the Chicago area that cost 8$ for a day's activities. 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »

Here's a thought - don't go. Oh that's right, you don't.

Here's a thought - get the stick out of your butt. You said Arlington was the same as other non-racino tracks. My post was in regard to that. Outside of So Cal, it is the highest in the U.S., and it's not even "major league".

There are no other "entertainment" venues in the Chicago area that cost 8$ for a day's activities.

Sure there are. You can buy great seats at the Kane County Cougars for $4. Admission at the Oriental Institute Museum down at UC is free, w/suggested donation. A day at the beach starts at free. On and on and on.

NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:32:57 PM »

$20 for 2013

thanks for the info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: