Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 20, 2014, 08:20:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think D. Wayne Lukas looks live so far for the Derby?  (Read 1315 times)
journalstuff

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »

Won 2 early Derby prep races but do you think they look like viable horses moving forward (Will Take Charge and Oxbow)??
Report to moderator   Logged
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »

Yes. I bet both his winners this weekend. Oxbow has the look of a War Emblem type. All or nothing on the front end. He can run all day. As for Will Take Charge, he has tremendous upside. He's well bred and can get dramatically better as the year goes on.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:42 AM »

No.
D-Wayne so old, nothing he sends out looks live.
Even in his prime, he was always great to bet against in the Derby.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »

No.

Nothing he sends out looks live? Glad I didn't listen to you. I hammered both his horses this weekend as they got ZERO play. No way these horse should have been 9-2 and 12-1. Oxbow was lone speed. Will Take Charge is Royally bred. He has a ton of upside. If he gets patient with these two and spots them right, I'd be shocked if they didn't earn a spot in the Derby.
Table Gambler
If you mess with the BULL you will get the HORNS!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

Two nice talented 3 yearolds who don't have a prayer in his hands. He will run both of them into the ground. JMO, you wont find either of these horses after the triple crown if they are still running? crossedfingers
SandyLoam

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

"Spots them right." That is THE big if.
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »

i did not know lucas trained OXBOW..

oxbow looks real live, he has curlin like action , a real nice colt...very lean and strong and fast. his perforamnce in the lecomte , despite that  track, was one of the top 3 of any of the colts on the trail ever in a a stakes race this year 2012-2013. it was a top class effort. very nice..i look for OXBOW to run through the fairgrounds stakes race path to the derby picking up the points he needs in that venue. the only thing that can defeat oxbow would be the 5th furlong, and seems like he has plenty of run as it is now.

lucas may have a good derby colt , if he can keep it healthy and happy, not something he has been know for in the recent past.

Certified Derbytologist
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »

Lukas too old - Not if the right horse comes along.  He has probably forgotten more than most of the young guns will ever know.  Remember he taught Pletcher everything he knows as he was an assistant to Lukas!
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »

Must explain Pletcher's "brilliant" record in the Triple Crown races.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

Pull Will Take Charge out of the Derby contention ...He bowed a tendon in the Smarty Jones yesterday. Seems the track has been horrifically cuppy and loose and the new track man is having difficulty learning how to manage it. As of Saturday there were three slab fractures and yesterday there were three bowed tendons  thumbs down
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »

No.

In his prime, he won 4 Derbies (plus 5 Preaknesses and 4 Belmonts), so I don't think that's necessarily true.  I also don't think he's too old, because lots of great trainers have produced very late in their careers.  However, he no longer has the mojo or the horses or whatever, and it's been sad watching him enter no-chance long shots in big races, trying to get back to where he once was.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »

Pull Will Take Charge out of the Derby contention ...He bowed a tendon in the Smarty Jones yesterday. Seems the track has been horrifically cuppy and loose and the new track man is having difficulty learning how to manage it. As of Saturday there were three slab fractures and yesterday there were three bowed tendons  thumbs down

Can you Verify? This story came out at 4:30 today. He's (Will Take Charge) heading to the Rebel.

http://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-after-sweeping-smarty-jones-and-lecomte-lukas-making-plans-round-2
journalstuff

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »

Lukas could surprise you these days
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »

Just about anybody can surprise you if they land the right/big horse!
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »

Can you Verify? This story came out at 4:30 today. He's (Will Take Charge) heading to the Rebel.

http://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-after-sweeping-smarty-jones-and-lecomte-lukas-making-plans-round-2

My friend is Ices assistant. He said that there were three horses on Sunday that bowed a tendon due to the loose surface at Oaklawn. One was in the earlier races. The other horse they had in the fifth was an extreme bow and the horse had to be vanned off. He said the horse that won the Smarty had bowed too but to what degree was uncertain. Could have been from the stumble while being pulled up that is mentioned in the above article. Lukas is not above trying to race a horse with an infirmity (Azeri) especially if it gives him a chance in the limelight. We are prepping some horses for Oaklawn and I keep in constant contact with him on how the track surface is being handled. Our horses like a much firmer footing so we arent getting in a big hurry to get down there. I hope that my friend was misinformed and WTC continues on with training. He also said BA was full of mucus and didnt handle the surface well at all.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »

According to today's edition of Thoroughbred Daily News, Lucas says Oxbow is OK.  Of course, one never really knows.

sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »

Sporthorse,

Does oaklawn have a training track of just the main track?  Why the new track super?  I know they have had some cancellations in the past due to weather but IMO perhaps they are opening the place up too early.  Lots of ice storms down there this time of year.

Sod
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »

Sporthorse,

Does oaklawn have a training track of just the main track?  Why the new track super?  I know they have had some cancellations in the past due to weather but IMO perhaps they are opening the place up too early.  Lots of ice storms down there this time of year.

Sod

Oaklawn doesn't have a training track just the main track. I don't know why the super was replaced but I do know that he is the guy who used to maintain the track at FP.
   I agree Sod. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot starting so early. Oaklawn never opened until the second Friday in February by then you had about three weeks of bad weather and then out came the apple blossoms! So beautiful! The trainers were disgruntled at the fact that one of the biggest preps for the Derby was only two weeks out and they wanted more.  The dates were pushed back to accommodate them. Plus consider there can be NO chemicals off any kind used on the track but water as all the run off goes into Lake Hamilton. My friend says this guy acts like he is scared to use the water trucks on the track but I think the ornery January weather is playing just as big a role.
The Commander

If you come at the King. You best not miss.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

Did anyone catch the firster, BOUSTIERRE that closed from dead last on the final turn to win a two turn,  MSW at OaK Lawn for The Coach last week. Paid $44 and looked awesome.
Epsom Derby

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 11:40:54 PM »

Hall of Famer, and he has already had a career comeback, but once Padua left, he was done with Group 1's. (Please don't mention the maiden winning the fake Breeder's race).
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »

Plus consider there can be NO chemicals off any kind used on the track but water as all the run off goes into Lake Hamilton.

Hot Springs has a municipal sewer system. There is no runoff from Oaklawn to Lake Hamilton. The water is treated it is directed to Lake Catherine.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »

My friend is Ices assistant. He said that there were three horses on Sunday that bowed a tendon due to the loose surface at Oaklawn. One was in the earlier races. The other horse they had in the fifth was an extreme bow and the horse had to be vanned off. He said the horse that won the Smarty had bowed too but to what degree was uncertain. Could have been from the stumble while being pulled up that is mentioned in the above article. Lukas is not above trying to race a horse with an infirmity (Azeri) especially if it gives him a chance in the limelight. We are prepping some horses for Oaklawn and I keep in constant contact with him on how the track surface is being handled. Our horses like a much firmer footing so we arent getting in a big hurry to get down there. I hope that my friend was misinformed and WTC continues on with training. He also said BA was full of mucus and didnt handle the surface well at all.

He's going to the Southwest: http://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-will-take-charge-headed-southwest
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »

i did not know lucas trained OXBOW..

oxbow looks real live, he has curlin like action , a real nice colt...very lean and strong and fast. his perforamnce in the lecomte , despite that  track, was one of the top 3 of any of the colts on the trail ever in a a stakes race this year 2012-2013. it was a top class effort. very nice..i look for OXBOW to run through the fairgrounds stakes race path to the derby picking up the points he needs in that venue. the only thing that can defeat oxbow would be the 5th furlong, and seems like he has plenty of run as it is now.

lucas may have a good derby colt , if he can keep it healthy and happy, not something he has been know for in the recent past.

i wrote this months ago..after j stuff inquired as to lucas and his prospects.

Certified Derbytologist
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »

Won 2 early Derby prep races but do you think they look like viable horses moving forward (Will Take Charge and Oxbow)??

i dunno jstuff whadda think ?

Certified Derbytologist
journalstuff

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »

Now Oxbow wins 2nd leg in the Preakness
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »

Nothing he sends out looks live? Glad I didn't listen to you. I hammered both his horses this weekend as they got ZERO play. No way these horse should have been 9-2 and 12-1. Oxbow was lone speed. Will Take Charge is Royally bred. He has a ton of upside. If he gets patient with these two and spots them right, I'd be shocked if they didn't earn a spot in the Derby.

Looks like both made the Derby.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: