Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 21, 2014, 03:09:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passing Lane: A Good Thing or A Disaster  (Read 2110 times)
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »

If it's such a great idea why doesn't the "mecca" of harness racing have it?

No Room with the banked turns. laughing guy laughing guy
Report to moderator   Logged
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »

Regarding drivers who pull out in the stretch instead of waiting for the passing lane.

Many horses will not race their best on the inside.  Horses are trained from their earliest experience to pass on the outside.

Inside or outside is not an issue for many horses, but it is a BIG issue for many others.
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 02:00:26 PM »

Regarding drivers who pull out in the stretch instead of waiting for the passing lane.

Many horses will not race their best on the inside.  Horses are trained from their earliest experience to pass on the outside.

Inside or outside is not an issue for many horses, but it is a BIG issue for many others.

If you are empty and bull out of the pocket and go backwards it looks a little fishy doesn't it?
dinkadoo

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »

Passing Lane made racing into an 1/8th mile dash off the gate on small tracks including 5/8ths tracks

Gun - settle - retake - sit sit sit till the lane.

I remember the days as a kid at Lebanon, when a horse would pull out of the two hole or the favorite would park everyone ...

Problem is --- if a track would take it out --- I would think that their handle would go down, people are used to it as a handciapping necessity.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »

Question for those who hate the passing lane:

What do you think of the 3-point shot in basketball?
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »

I don't know one half miler that you could say is flourishing because of the passing lane although I don't mind it. On the mile though,I feel drivers tend to sit and hope for the best. I've won as much as I lost with the passing lane but it takes a away from middle race movement for certain.

Check out the handles on 1/2 mile tracks - May, YR, Nfld - and compare them to Mea, Pcd...

Yes, I believe that if they did not have passing lanes on the 1/2, it would be that much more chalky.  I don't see where it takes away from movement on the 1/2, outside of YR which has this huge stretch, longer than any(?) 5/8's.

And even with the passing lane, the place to be is still up top with a one length head start.

'Courtesy' on the track is what Gural is fighting.  It is the 'courtesy tuck' that ruined racing at the Meadowlands.  Things have improved dramatically since Gural read the drivers the riot act on that courtesy.

Now its time to do the same to drivers who purposely get off the rail to let a horse through.

This courtesy is not a bad thing.  The front runner is presumed dead so that's not a factor & it allows a driver who drove properly (2 hole) an opportunity to reap the reward.  The courtesy tuck (a regular thing here at PPK) is a different story.  That involves a driver who may not have enough horse to get the top, a chance for a freebie, a slower pace & a completely different race.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »

I dont think there was anything more frustrating than having a horse loaded with pace/trot in the pocket with nowhere to go. That was an occurance at Roosevelt and Yonkers many times each night (especially with a hubrail). IMO, if you ask a driver where they would want to be if given a choice, they would WANT to be in the pocket, so if they are good enough to get there, why should they be penalized by being boxed to death in the stretch?
I think the passing lane gives more horses a chance, opens things up for some big prices many times. As a poster said earlier, I would take a passing lane all day, over what drivers do at the Meadowlands, where they drift and allow horses to come up the inside. Thats a "courtesy" I dont like seeing, and it happens often.
Jerome B

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »

There are very few benefits to a passing lane, except allowing drivers to be unaggressive. It was simply a dumb idea. Strategy has gone out the window.

How it has lasted this long boggles the mind. It should be abolished ASAP. It makes very little sense and continues to reward the bettors with boring race after boring race. It has eliminated all thinking and strategy

Harness racings dumbest idea in a very long time. Eliminate it and it will bring life back into the game on smaller tracks, which are now impossible to watch

thumbs down

jdizigg

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »

There are very few benefits to a passing lane, except allowing drivers to be unaggressive. It was simply a dumb idea. Strategy has gone out the window.

How it has lasted this long boggles the mind. It should be abolished ASAP. It makes very little sense and continues to reward the bettors with boring race after boring race. It has eliminated all thinking and strategy

Harness racings dumbest idea in a very long time. Eliminate it and it will bring life back into the game on smaller tracks, which are now impossible to watch

thumbs down

Disagree 100 percent... Great idea helps bettors tremendously... Less conveniant built in excuse for drivers as well...
burton

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »

Check out the handles on 1/2 mile tracks - May, YR, Nfld - and compare them to Mea, Pcd...

Yes, I believe that if they did not have passing lanes on the 1/2, it would be that much more chalky.  I don't see where it takes away from movement on the 1/2, outside of YR which has this huge stretch, longer than any(?) 5/8's.

And even with the passing lane, the place to be is still up top with a one length head start.

absolutely right Dolfan.
Thay fans really speak with their wagering dollars.
LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »

Dr. Herbert a local Oak Brook based md .
Have heard stories that Ira Smolin tells people he patented it
 dunno dunno
Anybody find any truth in Ira story
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »

Dr. Herbert a local Oak Brook based md .
Have heard stories that Ira Smolin tells people he patented it
 dunno dunno
Anybody find any truth in Ira story

Heard another guy from Il bragging he invented it. thumbs up
Jerome B

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »

Disagree 100 percent... Great idea helps bettors tremendously... Less conveniant built in excuse for drivers as well...

What are the built in excuses ?
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 02:54:43 AM »

thumbs down

Unless you catch the one day every decade where the closers win, Delaware is the only 1/2 mile track I've seen in the last few years with no passing lane.  Speed & post position are totally dominant as is chalk.  Pocket horse often stays locked in until too late.

That's better racing to you?

Folks, putting aside all the *** & moaning, Maywood actually has the best 1/2 mile track racing.  There is less of a handicap for outside draws & closers due to 3 big things: The roving, early untimed start, the angled gate & the passing lane.  Every 1/2 mile track should have these features.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Robat

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:42 AM »

If it's such a great idea why doesn't the "mecca" of harness racing have it?

No passing lanes at any of Gural`s tracks.

I agree with him... Do away with them and get back to racing horses..   If you have the favorite, or any other horse, loaded with pace and locked in, you should have pulled when you could...
My horses have probably win more races because of it but I still hate it..
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 07:34:57 AM »

I agree with him... Do away with them and get back to racing horses..   If you have the favorite, or any other horse, loaded with pace and locked in, you should have pulled when you could...

thumbs up beer
Jerome B

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »

Well stated sir
IRA

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »

The.  Open stretch was invented on a napkin 17. Years ago by dr.richard herbert and Ira smolin..I took the idea to maywood. I AM IN LAS VEGAS RIGHT NOW WITH DOCTER HERBRT WORKING ON OUR LATEST DEAL. IT WILL BE OUT IN MARCH.   trophy trophy . Bal. And maywood got the open stretchfor free for letting us put it in first.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »

To me, the passing lane minimizes chalk to an extent. It gives more horses a shot.
Whether I win or lose up the passing lane I won't complain about it.
Actually, if someone said to me I can quit work and do racetrack doubleheaders every day, I would do that the rest of my life....the game isn't perfect....but when I am driving to a racetrack, I am singing in the car I am so happy....
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »

The.  Open stretch was invented on a napkin 17. Years ago by dr.richard herbert and Ira smolin..I took the idea to maywood. I AM IN LAS VEGAS RIGHT NOW WITH DOCTER HERBRT WORKING ON OUR LATEST DEAL. IT WILL BE OUT IN MARCH.   trophy trophy . Bal. And maywood got the open stretchfor free for letting us put it in first.
Ira, many of us love the passing lane so much, possibly you can discuss implementation of a double passing lane at every North American track. trophy trophy trotter trotter
IRA

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »

We are working with big gaming companys and i cant talk about it till march. We have many patents that might help racing.  I personally liked open stretch on. Half milers only.
IRA

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »

We have two other versions of open stretch that use lazers and create a totat diff race concept.but nobody well spend the money to try it cause h. Racing is dead compared to slots
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:30:34 AM by IRA » Report to moderator   Logged
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »

We are working with big gaming companys and i cant talk about it till march. We have many patents that might help racing.  I personally liked open stretch on. Half milers only.
Thanks Ira!. Please provide us updates when available thumbs up thumbs up
IRA

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »

If this one hits ill be reading what the haters say from my boat in fla.  laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy beer
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »

We have two other versions of open stretch that use lazers and create a totat diff race concept.but nobody well spend the money to try it cause h. Racing is dead compared to slots

Can you create a passing lane that fans can drive in to fill the tracks?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: