Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 20, 2014, 12:00:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passing Lane: A Good Thing or A Disaster  (Read 1914 times)
Jerome B

« on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »

Destroys the strategy of racing. Junk it immediately. Didnt work out as planned. A bad idea from day one.Wont save the game, but you'll have a lot better racing while its still here.  Didnt serve the purpose it was meant to. Bad idea
Report to moderator   Logged
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »

Guy who invented it was a dope. thumbs up
Jerome B

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »

Guy who invented it was a dope. thumbs up

Agree 100% ----was developed at Maywood in late 80's. Screwed up racing since that day. Awful idea    bang head bang head bang head
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:22 AM »

Great idea -- when it gets me a win.

Bad idea -- when it costs me a race.

Gun to the head 'make a decision or die' -- I give it a heads up.  Drivers still have to make decisions when they are in the two - or three hole.  Will the first over horse clear?

At the Meadowlands, where there is no passing lane, drivers on front running stoppers frequently move over to let the guy in the two-hole through.  Hate that.
jdizigg

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »

Love the open stretch helps good handicappers.  Terrible to be loaded with pace with no where to go... HATE TRACKS that dont have it...
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »

Should call it the Whistlestopper Lane thumbs up
Louie Weedelbaum

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »

Bd idea.  Watch replays of half mile racing from the 70's and you will see quite a bit more movement.
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »

Too many guys don't use it when they should. I would keep it.
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »

Too many guys don't use it when they should. I would keep it.

How many times do you see a guy in the pocket knowing he has no horse and pulling out allowing the guy in the 3 hole to win the race. Happens at Dover over and over. A licensed drivers know what he is sitting on or should be driving a scooter thumbs up
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »

How many times do you see a guy in the pocket knowing he has no horse and pulling out allowing the guy in the 3 hole to win the race. Happens at Dover over and over. A licensed drivers know what he is sitting on or should be driving a scooter thumbs up

I see this more times than not and even if the guy has some power left, why give the guy behind you a chance to get clear.
You need to order alot of scooters. laughing guy laughing guy
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »

I see this more times than not and even if the guy has some power left, why give the guy behind you a chance to get clear.
You need to order alot of scooters. laughing guy laughing guy

The guys who pull the pocket and finish off the board should be given days without a doubt. If you are that bad then you should not be on the grounds and in my eyes they are fixing a race.
Goodfella

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »

Worst thing ever especially on the mile. thumbs down

It's not too late to change the road you're on.
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »

The guys who pull the pocket and finish off the board should be given days without a doubt. If you are that bad then you should not be on the grounds and in my eyes they are fixing a race.

Watch the replay of the 1st race from Monticello, Tuesday, Jan. 15th.  The pocket horse not only pulls but has to go wide because the 1st over horse is still there fighting for the lead. He would have won going away, instead loses 4-5 steps and gets straight wat too late.
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »

Watch the replay of the 1st race from Monticello, Tuesday, Jan. 15th.  The pocket horse not only pulls but has to go wide because the 1st over horse is still there fighting for the lead. He would have won going away, instead loses 4-5 steps and gets straight wat too late.

Drivers should get 5 days for that
burton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »

and that's the fault of the open stretch?
IRA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »

I may be a dope .but im not trying to borrow money from Rocco !! bang head
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 01:35:15 PM »

Saved 1/2 mile track racing, IMO.  Definitely belongs on every 1/2, definitely does not belong on mile tracks.  5/8's it's a little murky.  Places like Mea they wait & wait but on the other hand at PCD they're always moving at a good clip.  PPK has no passing lane & you rarely see horses "loaded" with no place to go from the pocket.

Tracks could tell their drivers that they cannot take up a spot in the passing lane if there is clearance to the outside, which would give 3rd down a better chance but that would encourage more waiting.

At the Meadowlands, where there is no passing lane, drivers on front running stoppers frequently move over to let the guy in the two-hole through.  Hate that.

This is an unwritten rule of common courtesy between the better drivers.  As one top driver once told me "you've run your race, now get out of the way".

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »

Saved 1/2 mile track racing, IMO.  Definitely belongs on every 1/2, definitely does not belong on mile tracks.  5/8's it's a little murky.  Places like Mea they wait & wait but on the other hand at PCD they're always moving at a good clip.  PPK has no passing lane & you rarely see horses "loaded" with no place to go from the pocket.

Tracks could tell their drivers that they cannot take up a spot in the passing lane if there is clearance to the outside, which would give 3rd down a better chance but that would encourage more waiting.

This is an unwritten rule of common courtesy between the better drivers.  As one top driver once told me "you've run your race, now get out of the way".

It has ruined 1/2 mile racing in my opinion as there is no more tactical strategy as you get in the pocket and hope to get out in the stretch. YONKERS IS THE WORST FOR THE FRAUD LANE
Illinois sucks

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »

If it has ruined racing or it is such a bad idea, why is the passing lane still around 30 years later. 
Goodfella

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »

I don't know one half miler that you could say is flourishing because of the passing lane although I don't mind it. On the mile though,I feel drivers tend to sit and hope for the best. I've won as much as I lost with the passing lane but it takes a away from middle race movement for certain.

burton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »

If it has ruined racing or it is such a bad idea, why is the passing lane still around 30 years later. 
Who would have thought?
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »

So Roger Huston call yell "IN THE LIGHTNING LANE" maroon maroon maroon maroon
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »

and that's the fault of the open stretch?

NO. I like the open stretch. I just wanted Kevin Switzer Jr to use it.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »

'Courtesy' on the track is what Gural is fighting.  It is the 'courtesy tuck' that ruined racing at the Meadowlands.  Things have improved dramatically since Gural read the drivers the riot act on that courtesy.

Now its time to do the same to drivers who purposely get off the rail to let a horse through.
Goodfella

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »

If it's such a great idea why doesn't the "mecca" of harness racing have it?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: