Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 21, 2014, 07:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banned Drivers, where are they now?  (Read 4166 times)
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

Once again, I cannot verify the accuracy of the story I heard, but I can verify that the story I heard pre-dates the 70s.  It was not the McNutt incident.

But your story did remind me of a race that I did see at Roosevelt.  Carmine Abbatiello had the lead and Eddie Cobb was right behind him as they entered the stretch -- and nobody else was close.  Carmine bears off the rail, and Cobb shoots up the inside.  But there was not enough room for his sulky.  And there was Cobb, flat back with a ton of horse and totally locked in while the rest of the field was far back.
Abbatiello always came off the rail in the stretch and would leave enough room for the horse but not the sulky~~~The horse sitting the trip would get locked in,C.A.knew what he was doing,controlling the race from the front end! trotter
Report to moderator   Logged

I trust no one, not even myself~~
JLB

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

Apropos of nothing, amateur driver Norman Woolworth told the story of driving at the old Foxboro. He was sitting inside contemplating a move, when Frank Safford came up on the outside and growled "Now, Five and Dime, just stay where you are, and no one will get hurt". The Woolworth store heir took that smart advice and stayed exactly where he was.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »

Abbatiello always came off the rail in the stretch and would leave enough room for the horse but not the sulky~~~The horse sitting the trip would get locked in,C.A.knew what he was doing,controlling the race from the front end! trotter

Carmine was always in control and always had an obnoxious answer for anyone who questioned him.  He was also awarded a $50(?) win ticket by every owner he drove for, according to several I've spoken to.  Nobody like Carmine.

A little Abbatiello trivia:
1 - Brother Anthony was the 1st to claim a horse for $100,000.  Do you remember the horse?
2 - Do you remember which horse they used to refer to as "Carmine's horse", even though I don't think he owned or even trained him?

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »

Carmine was always in control and always had an obnoxious answer for anyone who questioned him.  He was also awarded a $50(?) win ticket by every owner he drove for, according to several I've spoken to.  Nobody like Carmine.

1 - Brother Anthony was the 1st to claim a horse for $100,000.  Do you remember the horse?
2 - Do you remember which horse they used to refer to as "Carmine's horse", even though I don't think he owned or even trained him?
He never got a $50,00 ticket from me~~maybe that's why he took him self off the next week!

clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »

The Red Man was the greatest.  He was a late change on a weekday program at Freehold and a little old lady asked me when we were on line waiting to bet, who is C Abbatiello ? I told her he would be on the lead and that she should bet his horse. She yelled at me that Herve had a horse in the race too. Red Man on the engine to the tune of $10.00. Quick opener, snail 1/2, came home in a minute.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »

Carmine was the type of person that when you first met him you didn't like him, but after you got to know him you hated him!

clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »

Carmine was the type of person that when you first met him you didn't like him, but after you got to know him you hated him!

I heard that from alot of people except Morty Finder.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »

I heard that from alot of people except Morty Finder.
Don't start with that guy laughing guy

clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »

Don't start with that guy laughing guy

I was friends with his friend Natey, the guy that ran George and Sids jewish deli in Brooklyn. Loved that place. thumbs up
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »

I was friends with his friend Natey, the guy that ran George and Sids jewish deli in Brooklyn. Loved that place. thumbs up
Guy use to be on top floor of R.R.betting out of a suitcase dollar

clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »

Guy use to be on top floor of R.R.betting out of a suitcase dollar

Those guys were not shy when they went to the windows.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »

Carmine and Anthony were racing pretty straight for a long time until the team of Gilmour and Webster (aka, Webmour) started directing traffic and doing most of the cashing.  This led the Abbatiello brothers back to their evil ways.

As a gambler in those days you HAD TO KNOW that when Webster and Gilmour were in the same race, you always bet the shorter price.  When the Abbatiellos were in together, you always bet the longer price.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »

But still no answers to my 2 (easy) trivia questions?  I'm surprised at this group.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
JLB

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »

OK, Dolfan, is Taurus Romeo the answer to the claimed horse?
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »

Mr. AAA
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »

OK, Dolfan, is Taurus Romeo the answer to the claimed horse?

thumbs up thumbs up

Jim Irsay will send you 85 $100 bills!

Mr. AAA

thumbs down thumbs down I believe Carmine trained that one.  As I said it was not Carmine owned or trained but he was still referred to as "Carmine's Horse", which was probably named that by Stan Bergstein or Spencer Ross.

JLB

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »

Can't wait for the hundreds, Dolfan. For bonus points, was Taurus Romeo claimed FROM Bill Faucher?
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:57 PM »

Don't remember the outgoing trainer/connections.  dunno

Did Irsay send you that money?  laughing guy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/23/jim-irsay-8500-twitter-reward/1859557/

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlYxSsdJFQ&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »

Surprised he could get 3 people that would want to drink with him!
 The prlck could drive that's for sure!

Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »

Here's a Carmine related trivia question. Who came after Marion Tolson?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: