Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 26, 2014, 02:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banned Drivers, where are they now?  (Read 3679 times)
burton

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »

Morrill was 5th on the 3rd choice at 7/2 ~~Brennen was 8th & Parker was 7th trotter
Brennan finished 8th.
In the article it says he followed the trainers instructions.
Never heard a trainer tell a driver to finish last.
He should have been tossed for good.
Report to moderator   Logged
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »

Brennan finished 8th.
In the article it says he followed the trainers instructions.
Never heard a trainer tell a driver to finish last.
He should have been tossed for good.
Like Brennen was going to let a Freehold trainer tell him how to drive sarcasm

I trust no one, not even myself~~
salzburg

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »

richard w o j o c i a
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »

He was suspended for cough syrup at one time. He was an addict.
The first time they called him in,he lied about talking to any one before the race~~The second time he was called in he changed his story and said Henri talked to him before the race~~USTA wanted to suspend him,not Freehold.

Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »

Like Brennen was going to let a Freehold trainer tell him how to drive sarcasm
I don't remember the name of the horse but it was Joey K's horse and he had no speed and the 8 post. He was coming off of a couple of wins though. I had one racing with Joe that day and came late and went directly to the paddock so I had not heard what happened. Joe didn't seem upset or anything.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

richard w o j o c i a
He was banned.... but has been back for many years at CalEx
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »

So if they werent banned, why did all of them fall off the face of the Earth?
After that incident, I never saw Leo Bauer again...unless he's with Hoffa?...

Henri was driving Gene Drolet’s 4/5 shot, Pan Am Sam, in that race. The horse finished out and due to a perceived lack of effort on Henri’s part, plus a surprising triple payoff, plus the fact that a select group of bettors cashed for more than 100K on the race, Henri got 90 days. The following month the suspension was upgraded to a license revocation.
Bauer won the race with 18/1 shot, Falcons Mann. The triple paid $192. He testified against Filion and avoided a suspension, although they got him for lying to the judges immediately after the race.

The six others got 30 days. All but Bresnahan went to court and got their suspensions blocked. The following month Marohn and Randall were cleared while Mile Lachance, Rene Poulin and Joe Marsh Jr. had their suspensions upheld. Marohn gave testimony that was damaging to Filion.

Ten years later, in April, 1997, Henri was thrown while driving Bye Bye Angus at the Hippodrome. He died four days later.

Bauer drove in more than 900 races in 1987. The race in question was in November of that year, so those drives preceded it. He had fewer than 200 drives during the next four years. He drove in six races in 1991 and that was it.
jrpesq

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »

can someone refresh my memeory about the Brennan, Howard parker and (Morrill??) fishy race.
Can't remember the exact details.

Freehold a few years ago
Parker's chauffer had $200 exacta box on winning combo  $200 straight triple
track cashed the exacta but not the triple   claiming the race was fixed
Chauffer took Freehold to COUrt  my dad, Ralph J Pocaro handled the case
Judge ordered Freehold to cash the ticket even though NJRC had not investigated the race yet
Track refused
Sheriff went into the money counting room and took the cash about $10K, to pay the tickets
Freehold went nut
Went back to the Judge to request reconsideration
Judge denied Motion and made Freehold pay my father attorney's fees for the hearing

Meadowlands then banned the chauffer from coming to the track to bet
Parker got his license back and did not need a chauffer any more

Brennan, Morrill and Parker had short suspensions at Freehold  but were welcomed back later on
salzburg

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »

and with this last comment, why was wojo banned-- the way i remember. he bet his own horse!! had to modify, cause the horse lost--
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:38:27 PM by salzburg » Report to moderator   Logged
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »

Freehold a few years ago
Judge ordered Freehold to cash the ticket even though NJRC had not investigated the race yet
Track refused
Sheriff went into the money counting room and took the cash about $10K, to pay the tickets
Freehold went nut
Judge denied Motion and made Freehold pay my father attorney's fees for the hearing

Brennan, Morrill and Parker had short suspensions at Freehold  but were welcomed back later on

What does it mean "Parker did not need a chauffeur anymore" mean?
FVRedhot

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »

Harry J Haught (was the funniest with his celebrations)

As in Fast Track Bid Haught?  Did not know he had enough drives/horses to get banned.
dinkadoo

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »

Freehold a few years ago
Track refused

Hell I am shocked that Freehold would have that much money in the Tri pool even if a few years ago ..... they handle that kinda money ?
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »

Was a SATurday Card I bet? Don't forget, there was no Chester and a few others then thumbs up
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »

and with this last comment, why was wojo banned-- the way i remember. he bet his own horse!! had to modify, cause the horse lost--
They had him on tape talking on the track to Billy Bresnahan who was a rat at the time. Wojo told Billy to just follow me. I don't remember what was bet.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »

Freehold a few years ago
Parker's chauffer had $200 exacta box on winning combo  $200 straight triple
track cashed the exacta but not the triple   claiming the race was fixed
Chauffer took Freehold to COUrt  my dad, Ralph J Pocaro handled the case
Track refused
Freehold went nut

Brennan, Morrill and Parker had short suspensions at Freehold  but were welcomed back later on

Think it was $24,000. Tri paid $92.50—8-1, 2-1, 7-1. Brennan last @ 2-1; Parker 7th @ 7-1; and Morrill 5th @ 7-2?

Chauffeur played his lucky numbers and cashed for $24,000.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:41:58 PM by Slim Russ » Report to moderator   Logged
Steve G

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »

richard w o j o c i a

driving at cal ex now, and use to drive at rockingham.
danny patch

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 09:44:58 AM »

He was suspended for cough syrup at one time. He was an addict.
Leo always seemed to be in the wrong place at the right time. Really a decent driver(little nervous at times) but had a live set of hands.People may not remember his controversial race at Fairmount Park back in the 80's but it was a fixed race that everyone but Leo was in on, he was third when the trainer failed to tell him that he was suppose to be off the board the shit hit the fan.I personally think He got fed up with all the scumbags and pursued another career.
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »

driving at cal ex now, and use to drive at rockingham.
When you see him drive now he's nothing. The time away between his suspension and getting back in CA. took a toll. In his prime he was a very, very talented driver. He could win races anywhere. He always liked to gamble heavy. He could pull $1,000 out of his locker in a moment.
   One time I was with a few people at Tombolino's between cards of a Tuesday doubleheader and Wojo was sitting alone at a table. We asked him to join us and he declined. When we asked him why he would rather be alone he said that he had no friends just aquaintances.
jrpesq

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »

What does it mean "Parker did not need a chauffeur anymore" mean?

Parker's drivers license was suspended  so he had to have a chauffer drive him from his residence to the track at Freehold, then to the Meadowlands or home again
Once he was suspended from Freehold, he didn't need the chauffer anymore
and then he got his drivers license back once his suspension at Freehold was over

so  he didn't need the chauffer anymore !!   
carl baldwin

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »

BOOM BOOM
I heard he jogs horses for trainer Perry Smith.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »

In 1959 management at Yonkers refused stall space to the original Green Hornet, Harold Story. They refused to say why and had no recent suspension or infraction to point to. The catch was that Story, as well as Frank Safford, who was also denied stalls, could still drive in stakes races for other owners. Overnights were forbidden, however.

Story was also banned from Saratoga for ten years during the 70s. Track management never gave a reason and it became kind of a bad joke. After being reinstated in 1980, Story was Horseman of the Year at the track three or four times. Those were the days when he had Scenic Regal.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »

The story of the Story story is that Story whipped another driver who sat alongside him in a race and would not let him get out.

No idea if the Story story is true but I heard the story from multiple sources.

So that's the story, Richie.  dunno
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

The story of the Story story is that Story whipped another driver who sat alongside him in a race and would not let him get out.

No idea if the Story story is true but I heard the story from multiple sources.

So that's the story, Richie.  dunno

That happened in the 70s at Yonkers. It was the other way around. One night Harold showed Ken McNutt some space on the inside, then closed it when McNutt had his horse most of the way through. They locked wheels and Harold held his ground. McNutt had a fit and whipped Story across the back. Story’s horse held on by a nose. Harold wound up with a big welt on his back.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »

That happened in the 70s at Yonkers. It was the other way around. One night Harold showed Ken McNutt some space on the inside, then closed it when McNutt had his horse most of the way through. They locked wheels and Harold held his ground. McNutt had a fit and whipped Story across the back. Story’s horse held on by a nose. Harold wound up with a big welt on his back.
McNutt wasn't some one to piss off~

Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »

Once again, I cannot verify the accuracy of the story I heard, but I can verify that the story I heard pre-dates the 70s.  It was not the McNutt incident.

But your story did remind me of a race that I did see at Roosevelt.  Carmine Abbatiello had the lead and Eddie Cobb was right behind him as they entered the stretch -- and nobody else was close.  Carmine bears off the rail, and Cobb shoots up the inside.  But there was not enough room for his sulky.  And there was Cobb, flat back with a ton of horse and totally locked in while the rest of the field was far back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: