Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 21, 2014, 10:24:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An idea for Hawthorne  (Read 975 times)
APCD Dan

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »

Since Hawthorne still has a somewhat captive base of horses, why don't they petition the IRB to let them run live racing on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays during their dark time period which is coming up for Hawthorne.  Even horses that have left have no place to go.  I believe live racing does not officially start until Feb. 15.  So start running weekends when Arlington's dark days are done.  This would give both the horsemen and the track some revenue to keep going during this layoff time.

I know there are problems of logistics and other things I have not thought about.  This winter has been cold (not deep cold) but dry.  Maybe they could get all the extra days in.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:43:17 AM by APCD Dan » Report to moderator   Logged
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »

not sure how valid it is but i was told before the end of 2012 they tried to get permission to start early this year and were basically laughed at
Report to moderator   Logged
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »

It is a good idea because everyone is stranded.

SIXRULER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »

It is a good idea because everyone is stranded.

Stranded ? All are free to go to any farm or training facility that will allow them.I'm sure there are many right here in IL.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:50 PM »

Racing board is too busy trying to shut down ADW to consider such a scheme.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

Sixruler,
That isn't exactly true.  For instance, I can't just put a horse on a trailer and send it to an owners farm in KY. (which we have been trying to do for days now) the State vet, STILL has to seal the trailer and it has to be unsealed in the same way in KY.  if the seal is broken, the horse is returned to Hawthorne.  One of the problems with that is, Dr. Dawn is not immediately available as it is her off season.
Just because Hawthorne/Dept. of Ag has lifted the quarantine, doesn't mean surrounding states and beyond are on that bandwagon.  They have openly acknowledged that they are not satisfied enough to allow Illinois horses into their environments.
So, we are still pretty stranded.

honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »

Sixruler,
That isn't exactly true.  For instance, I can't just put a horse on a trailer and send it to an owners farm in KY. (which we have been trying to do for days now)

I thought shipping horses off the Haw backside would be considered irresponsible.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »

She needs surgery !!!  Has needed surgery for 2 months.  Her owner, Dr. Helga Duffy, a vet, and private farm owner is trying to get her taken care of, finally. 

And more questions, (digs), comments ?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »

She needs surgery !!!  Has needed surgery for 2 months.  Her owner, Dr. Helga Duffy, a vet, and private farm owner is trying to get her taken care of, finally.  

And more questions, (digs), comments ?

Isn't the clinic closest by Haw accepting Hawthorne horses?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:36:35 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

runninfool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »

Our group has a slightly different situation..

We decided it was time to retire one of our racemares and begin her career as a broodmare.  Unfortunately, we can not ship directly to farms in KY, as Kentucky requires we sit at an IL farm for 30 days upon leaving the Thorne, and then file the appropriate papers with KY AG and ensure all the health requirements are met.  Once approved, we can ship to the farm in KY.  I don't expect any issues.  However, we haven't finalized a stallion as of yet. 

Over the next 30 days, we'll find out if any of the KY stallion farms will do as the racetracks have done and deny us...hopefully, this won't happen.   It's an unfortunate situation that all the horsemen are in whether or not we're racing or breeding.... 

SIXRULER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 07:57:29 PM »

Sixruler,
That isn't exactly true.  For instance, I can't just put a horse on a trailer and send it to an owners farm in KY. (which we have been trying to do for days now) the State vet, STILL has to seal the trailer and it has to be unsealed in the same way in KY.  if the seal is broken, the horse is returned to Hawthorne.  One of the problems with that is, Dr. Dawn is not immediately available as it is her off season.
Just because Hawthorne/Dept. of Ag has lifted the quarantine, doesn't mean surrounding states and beyond are on that bandwagon.  They have openly acknowledged that they are not satisfied enough to allow Illinois horses into their environments.
So, we are still pretty stranded.

I do see what a difficult situation this has caused for both horse and horsemen.
I was only thinking that anyone who wanted  could ship out of Hawthorne to any farm in Illinois for rest or otherwise and this would be the most desireable situation for what most posters have been asking for .I hope things get better for all involved.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »

Thank you Six, I wasn't attacking you.  I hope you know that.  It all looks pretty when notifications are posted about this and that, but they usually don't list the fine print so to speak.  Just to be clear though, HAWTHORNE has lifted the quarantine.  But really, that's about it.  There isn't any reason to know how difficult it really is unless you have to ship.  Sad

Running, you bring another element of the financial pain and stress ths situation has caused.  I know it is difficult and hopefully you are able to find a farm willing to take the mare you are trying to do right by.....hopefully it works out that KY accepts your mare.  Please understand if they don't.  The devastation a virus like this could cause the KY breeding program is beyond imagination.  I can confidently say that mostly everyone in here, feels for you and your group.

And last, but by far, least....

The "clinic" in IL was not capable of performing the necessary procedure that our horse requires.  And, even had they been, our client has a RIGHT to the BEST medical procedures available to them and should have the right to choose who would perform those procedures.  As does EVERYONE.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »

Running, have you been able to secure a spot on an IL farm to send your additional quarantine ?
SIXRULER

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 08:50:02 PM »

Running,

Take a look at US Ranger.
runninfool

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »

Sorry,  got hung up in traffic home...

Equiforce, Yes, we have a spot at our trainer's farm.  I feel fortunate that our trainer has the capability to set up a quarantine barn on their property so all are safe!!!   And I completely agree with you...we've all witnessed the  financial drains , but more importantly the the personal tragedies that have come with this virus...losing a horse is gut wrenching...so our group is well aware of the possibility that we may not be able to breed our mare this year.  Hopefully, it won't come to that...We want to approach this with caution and consideration!

Just like your surgery situation, there are a variety of nuances the EHV-1 virus has caused the horsemen at Hawthorne...there's a whole lot of gray areas! I just wanted to expand on your point that it's not simply a black and white issue.   

Six - we'll take a look at US Ranger!  We were considering Orientate, and if we could get a a discount - Majesticperfection.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »

And last, but by far, least....

The "clinic" in IL was not capable of performing the necessary procedure that our horse requires.  And, even had they been, our client has a RIGHT to the BEST medical procedures available to them and should have the right to choose who would perform those procedures.  As does EVERYONE.

So then, in this case, it seems the needs of one horse and the desires of one owner would make shipping a horse off the Haw backside at this time acceptable, an action you previously characterized as irresponsible ... presumably for other horsemen. Am I reading that correctly?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: