Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 07:43:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOF Says NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2534 times)
APPRENTICE

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »

FRANK THOMAS,,EVEN THOUGH HE WAS APRICKKWAS THE BEST PLAYER.OF THE ERA,,,.

BEST CLEAN PLAYER,,ABSOLUTE HALL OF FAMER
Report to moderator   Logged
APPRENTICE

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »

BEST GAME I EVER SAW RYNO  PLAY WAS WHEN HE HIT  I BELIEV E 3 HOMERS ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON,,AGAINST STLOUIS,,

ANY BODY REMEBR THAT GAME..

I THINK THAT WAS HIZ DEFINING HALL OF FAME GAME
jdizigg

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »

BEST GAME I EVER SAW RYNO  PLAY WAS WHEN HE HIT  I BELIEV E 3 HOMERS ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON,,AGAINST STLOUIS,,

ANY BODY REMEBR THAT GAME..

I THINK THAT WAS HIZ DEFINING HALL OF FAME GAME

I do...He had some big games against the Stros too... My all time favorite player will never be another like him  bowing bowing bowing
APPRENTICE

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »

BRADY FCKIN ANDERSON,,HITTIN HOMERS AT 50 A YEAR GIMME A BREAK,

I LIKE TO SLAP HIZ SIDE BURNS.

JUST SAYIN

FAYE VINCENT RUINED BASEBALL,,HE WANTED TO SEE MORE SCORIN,,JUST MY OPINION
Yonkers1

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »

God Bless the writers the baseball HOF, it is supposed to be tough to get into. The less they allow in the better it is. It's 90 minutes from me and I may go this year
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »

Why isn't Gil Hodges in the HOF? screwy

I trust no one, not even myself~~
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »

Not a yankee fan but Jeter's 3000 hit game was the best performance I ever saw.
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

Biggio will get in...they're just making him wait a year. It's a big deal to be a "first ballot" guy, I guess. What I'm curious to see next year is if Greg Maddux is the first unanamous choice EVER. Think about that....Ruth, Mays, Aaron,Ted Williams, Ripken, to name a few were NOT unanamous selections....how is that possible? While today's outcome doesnt surprise me in the least, at some point, those blowhards that forced this into a story no one really cared about in 98' or any other time for that matter, are going to have to come to the realization that the era was the era. As many people have said all day, the league and the teams havent given back any money form all the rush the HR chase made. It was such a horribly reported story...and here's why. Steroids are for recovery. They made it sound like if you took roids you'd automatically hit 50 hr's....ummm not really. My favorite thing....pitchers...not only who used, but those who take a cortisone shot in their elbow....anybody want to guess what cortisone is? you guessed it, a STEROID. Now, much like with horse racing, if you're going to call the guys cheat who clearly do, dont ask me or the rest of the fans to believe the league or the writer's really have the best interests of the game in mind. Over the next 3-5 years I believe those guys will be in. They're already talking about the distinction between the person, integrity, and what actually happened on the field. that's what matters.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »

The druggies may get in some time down the road.  Hopefully not in my lifetime.  Yes I know Clemens and Bonds were good enough without drugs -- but they cheated.  YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!  Bomb

Biggio is a hall of famer as is Piazza.  They will both get in.  Maybe not next year as Maddux will probably go in first ballot.

From earlier comments, Mazeroski was more than a one-hit wonder.

Good to see Edgar Martinez way down the list.  One of the best hitters in the game, he was not a baseball player -- he was a DH.  Frank Thomas was a DH late in his career, but did enough while playing first base to be an HOF.   If they let DHs in, they should let pinch hitters in like Smokey Burgess and Julio Franco.

Maybe they should have a special wing for dh (i.e., part timers) in the HOF.  In the basement -- behind a brick wall -- with no way in or out.

Bottom line -- the writers done good.
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »

There are guys on record who wont vote for a guy the first time.
Because they don't want them to be unanimous.

Ruth was part of the first ever group.

Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Mathewson, Johnson.
That class will never be topped.

Cobb actually was on a higher percentage than Ruth even.
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »

The druggies may get in some time down the road.  Hopefully not in my lifetime.  Yes I know Clemens and Bonds were good enough without drugs -- but they cheated.  YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!  Bomb

Biggio is a hall of famer as is Piazza.  They will both get in.  Maybe not next year as Maddux will probably go in first ballot.

From earlier comments, Mazeroski was more than a one-hit wonder.

Good to see Edgar Martinez way down the list.  One of the best hitters in the game, he was not a baseball player -- he was a DH.  Frank Thomas was a DH late in his career, but did enough while playing first base to be an HOF.   If they let DHs in, they should let pinch hitters in like Smokey Burgess and Julio Franco.

Maybe they should have a special wing for dh (i.e., part timers) in the HOF.  In the basement -- behind a brick wall -- with no way in or out.

Bottom line -- the writers done good.

Why knock a dh when you mention Biggio who looked pretty *** like as well as Piazza who was all offense and average at best defensively?
Jerome B

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »

Joe Di Maggio did not get in until his 4th time eligible. Hodges should be in. Maddux will be tough to keep out next year but certainly will not be unanimous. More than a few writers will not vote anyone in on the first ballot. Heard them say it this week. Doesnt matter what you accomplised.

Jack Morris career ERA was close to 4.00 There are many pitchers comparable to him that are not in. Mickey Lolich comes to mind.
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »

What about that good player that hit .091?
Jerome B

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »

What about that good player that hit .091?

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

Should have been in long ago. A travisty
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »

Why knock a dh when you mention Biggio who looked pretty *** like as well as Piazza who was all offense and average at best defensively?

DHs are not baseball players.  The HOF should be for baseball players.

I can no more prove that Biggio and Piazza did not use illegal substances any more than I can prove that Sosa and Brady Anderson did.  Everybody who played in the era is under suspicion, and we can only form our opinions based on observations.

Piazza was a better than average defensive catcher.  His weakness was throwing out base stealers.
Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »

Agree 100% . But nobody with 3000 hits has ever failed to get in. Im not so sure he wasnt on the juice either.  His buddy Bagwell certainly was. Take a look at before and after  pictures of Jeff. They are scary

I guess techically.........you're right.

Pete Rose had over 4,000.
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »

Piazza was a better than average defensive catcher.  His weakness was throwing out base stealers.

Not true. He called a bad game and was bad at blocking balls etc etc.

He is the only player I think ever who couldn't learn to play first base.
They tried and it was a joke.

If he was average defensively. with his stats at the catcher position he would have won t least 3 MVPs. Maybe more.
jdizigg

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »

Heres what i dont understand, If you seen Jim Thome in 1989 he was as thin as a rail.....Then he goes thru his whole career basically as big as an ox and nobody questions him  Huh Huh  I think its easy to see who did and who didnt...
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »

We disagree on his defensive skills.  The records of the pitchers he caught would tend to make my argument stronger.

As for catchers who successfully switched to first base, how many can you name that successfully did so trying for the first time at age 35?

Piazza twice led the league in Range Factor for a catcher and once led the league in fielding percentage.  None of those stats make him an all time great defensive catcher, but they do prove that people underrate his defensive abilities.
Jerome B

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »

I guess techically.........you're right.

Pete Rose had over 4,000.

Pete Rose is not eligible . Hes never been on the ballot. He CANT get in .He put himself on the suspended list and lied forever and remains on that list.

But yes he had more than 3000 hits....and didnt cheat either.
Jerome B

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »

Heres what i dont understand, If you seen Jim Thome in 1989 he was as thin as a rail.....Then he goes thru his whole career basically as big as an ox and nobody questions him  Huh Huh  I think its easy to see who did and who didnt...

For some reason Thome gets a pass because hes a really nice guy as opposed to miserable creeps like Bonds and Clemens.

How about Bret Boone who's numbers went through the roof after he suddenly bulked up big time ? Or Greg Vaughan ? Or Luis Gonzalez who hit 57 homers in 2001 and was  never over 31 in any of his other 16 seasons.

Many more as well. Funny thing about Thome is that he will get in with no problem because hes not under suspicion. I have no idea why that is.
EYEcanSEEitNOW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »

JD makes a good point bout Thome... The guy was much smaller in the beginning of his career than he is now.. And Biggio, in my opinion, is a hall of famer... But then, when we talk about guys like Biggio, what about guys like Mark Grace for the hall..? A ton of gold gloves and led the league in doubles in the 90s.. May have even led in hits and batting average as well but I'm not sure??  Only thing Grace didn't have was home run power

Maddux.. A true wonder in his own right.. Looked like he coulda been your freshman math teacher out there spotting the ball with pin point accuracy for 15 years or so.. An amazing pitcher to say the least!

-EYE
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »

We disagree on his defensive skills.  The records of the pitchers he caught would tend to make my argument stronger.

As for catchers who successfully switched to first base, how many can you name that successfully did so trying for the first time at age 35?

Piazza twice led the league in Range Factor for a catcher and once led the league in fielding percentage.  None of those stats make him an all time great defensive catcher, but they do prove that people underrate his defensive abilities.

Defensive stats. Particularly for catchers are subject to wild abnormalities.

Many many players move to first base when they can no longer play another position.

Johnny Bench even moved to third and played about 150 games at first in his career.
Yaztremski moved to first from left.
At the end of his career. Rose played first.

David Ortiz can play first in a pinch.
Its not tough.
You move guys who cant field any position to first.

If you've seen moneyball Hatteburg moving to first from catcher is a big part of it.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
IMO the public perception of him being a historicaly poor defensive catcher is accurate.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »

Like you say, we agree to disagree.  I base my opoinion from watching him catch 1,000 games.  I never felt short changed.
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »

Like you say, we agree to disagree.  I base my opoinion from watching him catch 1,000 games.  I never felt short changed.

Mets fan?

I didn't get that luxury. I have watched 1000 Ryan Howard games though and know how over rated he is in every aspect.
While alot of fans still think hes great and a HOFer.
I don't think he even gets to 400 homers. But fans tend to over value players on their favorite teams.

But I have spent alot of time talking to people whose job it is to know baseball. I also saw him quite a bit with my own eyes.

To me catcher is a defensive postion though and really shouldn't be looked at for offense anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: