Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 08:32:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutrow denied a 3rd time by NY Supreme Court  (Read 1974 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »

Sentencing has always seemed like a subjective science to me. I just know it's not good to be the one who is being made an example to deter others, whether it was a witch hunt or not. 

A good reason not to act like a brazen scofflaw, then, it would seem.
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 11:59:20 PM »

A good reason not to act like a brazen scofflaw, then, it would seem.

Because if you act like a brazen scofflaw, you will be singled out for excessive and unfair punishment, in order to "make an example" of you. 

There it is, at last. Bravo!  trophy  That wasn't so hard, was it?

(You can only hide your true feelings for so long, Terry. I know you know damn well that 10 years is simply ridiculous for Dutrow's latest transgressions. You just can't admit it, because it puts you in a trick box.)
Epsom Derby

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:20 AM »

Just for the record, I think Dutrow is guilty. I still want reimbursement for the Big Brown Kentucky Derby.....but I think it also must be stated what a joke the NYS Racing and Wagering Board is:

Chairman John Sabini, a former NY State Senator, soon to be former Chairman, was appointed by lame duck Gov. David Patterson, after Sabini had no chance to win re-election to the NY State Senate after a DWI. Patterson hooked up a downstate, soon to be EX- NYS Senator, with a cushy $125K a year gig as Chairman of NYS Racing and Wagering Board. Good work if you can get it....... especially if you know nothing about horse racing.......

Point being, I don't think this is all about Dutrow. Call it a conspiracy theory, whatever, but more is involved here. What, I don't know. Gotta love politics!!!!!!!
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 12:16:43 AM »

I know you know damn well that 10 years is simply ridiculous for Dutrow's latest transgressions.

Nobody said it was only for the latest transgressions. It is because, according to the NYSRWB, Dutrow is a "person whose conduct at racetracks in New York State and elsewhere has been improper, obnoxious, unbecoming, and detrimental to the best interests of racing."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/75524/dutrow-vows-to-keep-fighting-in-federal-court

It's because of issues like this one last year:
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2012/02/28/west-virginia-stewards-force-scratch-of-dutrow-i-want-revenge.aspx

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »

Because if you act like a brazen scofflaw, you will be singled out for excessive and unfair punishment, in order to "make an example" of you. 

No, it's not excessive. It is "sit up and take notice", however.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »

No, it's not excessive. It is "sit up and take notice", however.

Antics with semantics.

You only sit up and take notice when the penalty exceeds what is thought to be ordinary and fair. It's either a fair penalty, or it ain't.

If Dutrow got 9 months or a year...even two years...there would be nothing to discuss, nor appeal.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

Open a DRF any day of the week (esp. for the east coast tracks), and count up the number of horses that ship out from trainer "Smith" in one state, run under trainer "Jones" name in another for one race (where "Smith" isn't licensed), then ship right back home and back under Smith's care.

What, Dutrow's brother bearded a horse for him? *This* is what ails racing? Really?

If anything, this incident being used to support the excessive suspension bolsters my case for this whole thing being a witch hunt.

What other "conduct unbecoming racing" did Dutrow engage in, feeding his horses unlicensed carrots and mints? Come on.  head shake
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »

Open a DRF any day of the week (esp. for the east coast tracks), and count up the number of horses that ship out from trainer "Smith" in one state, run under trainer "Jones" name in another for one race (where "Smith" isn't licensed), then ship right back home and back under Smith's care.

What, Dutrow's brother bearded a horse for him? *This* is what ails racing? Really?

If anything, this incident being used to support the excessive suspension bolsters my case for this whole thing being a witch hunt.

What other "conduct unbecoming racing" did Dutrow engage in, feeding his horses unlicensed carrots and mints? Come on.  head shake

That does not happen in Derby prep stakes races.

You are referring to situations where a horse is actually transferred into someone else's care for a single race. It doesn't happen because the original trainer cannot get licensed in a new state.

With I Want Revenge, Richard entered the horse in Tony's name, Tony had nothing to do with it. The racing office followed up because they knew there were issues.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »

Antics with semantics.

No, it's not.

You only sit up and take notice when the penalty exceeds what is thought to be ordinary and fair.

Ordinary and fair are two totally separate issues. For instance, judges often hand out stiff sentences as a warning to others to take notice, but there's nothing unfair about it. Nothing unfair in this instance, either.

If Dutrow got 9 months or a year...even two years...there would be nothing to discuss, nor appeal.

And he would be going about his business as usual, ignoring and flouting the rules like he is above them, and screwing up and getting caught, and giving all of racing a worse black eye, like the "most infractions of any major trainer" scofflaw he acted before this. But he isn't. They finally got his attention. And apparently the attention of everyone else, too.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »

Dutrow's 10 years supposedly started today, but he vows to fight on, claiming to have "new evidence". His lawyers did not file for a Federal injunction.

http://www.drf.com/news/dutrow-begin-suspension-thursday

Meanwhile, journalist Bill Finley feels, "I think this is a case of the system working perfectly and regulators hitting the bulls eye. "

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/8846790/dutrow-case-got-right

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »

Dutrow's 10 years supposedly started today, but he vows to fight on, claiming to have "new evidence". His lawyers did not file for a Federal injunction.

http://www.drf.com/news/dutrow-begin-suspension-thursday

Meanwhile, journalist Bill Finley feels, "I think this is a case of the system working perfectly and regulators hitting the bulls eye. "

His horses have all been transferred to other barns on Thursday.  Some 42 of them in NY have been switched to Wesley Ward, a Dutrow friend.  Six went to trainer Rudy Rodriguiz.  The ones in Florida have been sent to Michelle Nevin, a former assistant and girlfriend of Dutrow, who just passed her training license test on Wednesday.  All this according to the DRF.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:52:14 PM by APCD Dan » Report to moderator   Logged
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »

Finley has made bold proclamations before.

Bold, but meaningless and ill-informed.

Here is what is Finley wrote over a year ago, when the 10 year suspension was announced:

"Over the years, Dutrow became a poster child, a symbol of a trainer who allegedly and continually broke the rules and seemed to get away with anything and everything. He remains a symbol, but this time for the beginning of a new, tougher era in thoroughbred racing, a symbol that regulators are finally getting serious about cleaning up the game."

Source: http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/7096211/dutrow-ruling-sends-message

Uh huh. Nobody of importance since. Couple of hayseeds in the bayou, and one guy in the fake sport of harness racing.

"Bulls eye"...or bullshit? Where are the rest of the cheaters that the regulators are "finally getting serious" about, Mr. Finley?

I expect a little more objectivity from the press (even when labeled "opinion" or "commentary") than this barely-concealed exercise in grave dancing.  thumbs down 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:51 AM »

Finley has made bold proclamations before.

Bold, but meaningless and ill-informed.

Well, naturally.  Roll Eyes

And while he's earned his journalistic way into the national spotlight for his opinions, you and your version of "the real killer" are ... well, here.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2013, 11:06:45 AM »

And while he's earned his journalistic way into the national spotlight for his opinions...

Please.   head shake

So has Bill O'Reilly and Plush Flameball. Your point is...?

Meanwhile, I could eat a can of alphabet soup and then shit a better column about the Dutrow case than anything an overly biased Mr. Finley has written.

Grave dancing is grave dancing, whether it comes from you, or someone in the "national spotlight". It ain't journalism.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »

Please.   head shake

So has Bill O'Reilly and Plush Flameball. Your point is...?

That their opinion is much more widely read and influential than yours.

Meanwhile, I could eat a can of alphabet soup and then shit a better column about the Dutrow case

Of course you could. It goes without saying.  Roll Eyes  

than anything an overly biased Mr. Finley has written.

Oh, of course, of course, that too goes without saying ... because his opinion is different than yours, he's "overly biased". But you aren't.

Grave dancing is grave dancing, whether it comes from you, or someone in the "national spotlight". It ain't journalism.

Well, strictly speaking, this piece probably isn't journalism, as it is mostly opinion.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:15:52 AM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: