Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 08:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing says stop betting on horses online  (Read 1041 times)
NYRA 792

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130115/news/701159567/
Report to moderator   Logged
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:14 PM »

They don't have much to do at 100 West Randolph Street!
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »

Three guys I play basketball with have tsp and xpress accounts.  They dont know about this nonsense and I havent told them.  They play horses only because its online.  They dont go on forums or read the form.  They use the free pps and play santa anita or late night australia for action. Tvg and everyone are warning people who dont even know they are "lawbreakers".  75% play horses online for action.  Any money added to handle is a gift to horse racing.  Earl is correct, they have nothing to do and are bored.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:08 AM »

Three guys I play basketball with have tsp and xpress accounts.  They dont know about this nonsense and I havent told them.  They play horses only because its online.  They dont go on forums or read the form.  They use the free pps and play santa anita or late night australia for action. Tvg and everyone are warning people who dont even know they are "lawbreakers".  75% play horses online for action.  Any money added to handle is a gift to horse racing.  Earl is correct, they have nothing to do and are bored.

The IRB doesn't really give a crap about this issue, because they know the law will eventually get renewed. Anything they say is just observing the formalities.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »

i thought the responsibility of the racing board to do everything possible to insure that bill doesn't expire?  Guess it is more important to protect racing interests to approve Levy as the popcorn and soda vendor at Arlington...
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »

i thought the responsibility of the racing board to do everything possible to insure that bill doesn't expire?

I don't think legislation is the responsibility of the Board.

Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »

But apparently lack of legislation is?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »

But apparently lack of legislation is?

Their job is to administer whatever racing law is in effect. Right now, ADW is not legal, so they've notified the licenees that it's not, and turned the issue over to the enforcement arm of the government.

Which, of course, means nothing will get done, because Lisa M. did nothing at all about ADW prior to the ADW enabling legislation, so in effect we're right back to where we were before Illinois ever got an ADW law.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:54:28 AM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »

Looking after the matters that effect their jurisdiction (the race tracks, the owners, breeders, workers, people of the state, etc.) is their responsibility.  That means if a piece of legislation that brings over $5,000 in tax revenue to the state daillt is due to expire, they should get off their asses and leave the Thompson shrine and insure the renewal is at least dealt with and not let it go quietly into the night.

I guess I give them too much credit...they are hand picked by Quinn after all....
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »

Looking after the matters that effect their jurisdiction (the race tracks, the owners, breeders, workers, people of the state, etc.) is their responsibility.  That means if a piece of legislation that brings over $5,000 in tax revenue to the state daillt is due to expire, they should get off their asses and leave the Thompson shrine and insure the renewal is at least dealt with and not let it go quietly into the night.

I guess I give them too much credit...they are hand picked by Quinn after all....

Sorry, but I don't think so. Here's from their website:

"The Board is responsible for enforcement of the statute governing horse racing in Illinois known as the Illinois Horse Racing Act."

They are regulatory commissioners, NOT lobbyists. They cannot be lobbyists and continue to do their job in impartial manner. What if one racing faction wants a bill and another doesn't, or not everyone agrees on language, or Huh

Plus, personally, my new conspiracy theory is that there are forces in that legislature trying to hold ADW hostage in order to get racing to agree to relinquish its claim on that 10th boat money, and from what I saw out of AP on this issue, they're on board while others are not, and what position does the IRB take there, when it means $80 million to the State vs handout to horsemen?

Here's the official "about the IRB".

http://www2.illinois.gov/irb/Pages/AbouttheIRB.aspx

Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think so. Here's from their website:

"The Board is responsible for enforcement of the statute governing horse racing in Illinois known as the Illinois Horse Racing Act."

Plus, personally, my new conspiracy theory is that there are forces in that legislature trying to hold ADW hostage in order to get racing to agree to relinquish its claim on that 10th boat money, and from what I saw out of AP on this issue, they're on board while others are not, and what position does the IRB take there, when it means $80 million to the State vs handout to horsemen?

Hate to beat a dead horse, but if the IRB's job was to enforce the act, then why didn't it sue the state when it was violating the statute regarding the funding of recapture?
As for your conspiracy theory, it may be true. I wouldn't put anything past the criminals and buffoons in the state legislature.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:00:06 PM by Earl Sande » Report to moderator   Logged
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

I wouldn't put anything past the criminals and buffoons in the state legislature.

I don't know many buffoons or criminals that would appreciate that analogy.  You should consider apologizing to them.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »

Hate to beat a dead horse, but if the IRB's job was to enforce the act, then why didn't it sue the state when it was violating the statute regarding the funding of recapture?

They don't sue anyone themselves, they simply turn these things over to their lawyer(s), the Attorney General ... Lisa Madigan.

And besides, I don't think it against Illinois law (or Federal law) for the House to simply not fund some law or another that's been passed. Look at the pension fund for example.

Ghostjones

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »

Twinspires caved, just got an email from them. Starting tomorrow no more wagers through them.

Nothing from Xpressbet .....yet
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »

Plus, personally, my new conspiracy theory is that there are forces in that legislature trying to hold ADW hostage in order to get racing to agree to relinquish its claim on that 10th boat money, 

Pretty sure that rises above the level of conspiracy theory.
tapetea

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:51 AM »

Just makes ya  head shake
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

Pretty sure that rises above the level of conspiracy theory.
That is one reason all this slots talk is useless.Since Illinois has yet to address its massive debt and pension problem,can one really believe that when money is available it will not be taken for other purposes?Horse racing is way down on the priority list as is agriculture.Everything in Illinois politics is geared toward feeding the bloated,omnivorous beast that is Chicago.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »

They don't sue anyone themselves, they simply turn these things over to their lawyer(s), the Attorney General ... Lisa Madigan.

And besides, I don't think it against Illinois law (or Federal law) for the House to simply not fund some law or another that's been passed. Look at the pension fund for example.
Sorry,meant above reply to go under this qoute.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:54:14 AM by nmslim » Report to moderator   Logged
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 01:09:49 PM »

I was informed today that the ADW bill will be attached to the overall gaming bill this legislative session....in other words, ADW is dead.....
Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »

Xpressbet caved in today:

We regret to inform you that the Illinois Racing Board has requested that all online wagering providers cease accepting wagers from residents of Illinois. Effective Friday, January 18, our Illinois customers will not be permitted to wager at Xpressbet.com until further notice.

We apologize for the inconvenience this presents and will keep you updated on any progress towards a resolution. We look forward to once again serving your account wagering needs once this situation has been resolved.

Your account will remain active and you will have full access to live video, Pro Shop products, race information, race replays, free daily picks, as well as deposits, withdrawals, and account information.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: