Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 02:56:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Miller Leaving Hawthorne  (Read 4731 times)
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »

Hawthorne isn't responsible to look out for what's best for the Horsemen, that job belongs to the ITHA.

Quite clearly, a number of owners and trainers who have been posting here at BTW for the past 2 1/2 months disagree with you, but you are essentially correct.

Hawthorne could only make suggestions; as I said about 2 months ago, if Hawthorne tried to mandate anything specifically relating to how horses were handled, moved, worked, or raced, the line of trainers waiting to tell the Hawthorne brass to kiss their asses would have been from Laramie to Cicero Ave.
Report to moderator   Logged
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »

I thought it was Ralph Lauren, you just knew he was in cahoots with Marco Polo.

Has anyone seen the movie Contagion?   I don't know that a plague like this cannot happen again, I fear some day it will.

LOL.

Laurie Garrett wrote a good and scary book about 15 years ago arguing that mankind was about to be knocked on its collective hindquarters by a bunch of infectious diseases (largerly hemorrhagic fevers a la Ebolavirus) that would make the plague seem like a hangnail.  Fortunately, she was wrong.

But malaria continues to kill.   Angry
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »

So, I understand now.  Hawthorne had no responsibility to provide adequate security either, I guess.

Don't kid yourself.  It wasn't until Nov. 16 that suggestions were made on how to properly sanitize the barns and help.  And that was simply because they were put on the spot, and people were speaking up. 
The ITHA has done very little during this virus.

Some horsemen didn't wait for the Nov. 16 suggestions, but used common sense.  Little good that does when you are stabled with individuals that aren't doing the same.

It does go hand and hand HV, Hawthorne DOES provide us with a track for racing, but we provide them with the horses to conduct their business.  It seems for that reason alone, they should have shown more genuine interest and effort in helping the horsemen....EVEN if it was not their direct responsibility. 
You are NEVER going to get all of the horsemen to stand together....but our elected officials should have stepped up to the plate.  I personally watched owners and trainers asking them to do SOMETHING....so it isnt as if no one asked for help.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »

So, I understand now.  Hawthorne had no responsibility to provide adequate security either, I guess.

Reasonable effort to provide security, yes.

Don't kid yourself.  It wasn't until Nov. 16 that suggestions were made on how to properly sanitize the barns and help.  And that was simply because they were put on the spot, and people were speaking up. 

The written record says the information was disseminated at the October 17 meeting, as well as the announcement that was put online regarding that.

Some horsemen didn't wait for the Nov. 16 suggestions, but used common sense.

Other horsemen went to the Oct. 17 meeting.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Chris Szulc

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »

Seems Jim's position has something to do with marketing. This Facebook page popped up in the last few days for Midwest:

http://www.facebook.com/MidwestThoroughbredsInc

Don't know why they need that kind of publicity unless they are venturing into something new...
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »

Seems Jim's position has something to do with marketing. This Facebook page popped up in the last few days for Midwest:

http://www.facebook.com/MidwestThoroughbredsInc

Don't know why they need that kind of publicity unless they are venturing into something new...

I saw that an wondered the same thing.
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »

That is their horse at HAW on the front page.  It has the feel of the West Point page...syndication emphasis?
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2013, 07:37:49 AM »

Truly my sense of loss arising from the epochal Miller departure continues to be a source of existential anguish.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: