Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 05:47:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNBETTABLE DRIVERS  (Read 6233 times)
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »

Are you sure its not that bad picture from Monticello ? laughing guy laughing guy
Yeah right!  laughing guy Monticello the picture on tv that looks like a never ending solar eclipse
I go down to rail a lot...ripped colors, dirty, it's terrible...but there are many other tracks worse than that. I guess there is no valet to wash silks Grin
Report to moderator   Logged
Racepony

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »

Black's Raceway Motel!!!!!
Holy crap...... What a flashback.

I remember after the RR cards on Friday and Saturday nights, you could always go to someone's room at blacks and get into a serious dice game or pinochle game.

And there were  always the unsavory track girls that would saddle up to whom ever had the most blow or cashed the biggest ticket at the track.

Thanks for the memories !!!!
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »

Some of you boys are old...most of these guys I never heard off....still like reading the old stories.
laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »

I remember after the RR cards on Friday and Saturday nights, you could always go to someone's room at blacks and get into a serious dice game or pinochle game.

And there were  always the unsavory track girls that would saddle up to whom ever had the most blow or cashed the biggest ticket at the track.

Up until a few years ago the Blacks raceway motel (with a different name now) had that same metal aluminum siding on it laughing guy laughing guy
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »

I know many stories about that place, all are funny and none are printable; most involve old friends.

A Sunday School it wasn't.

The motel is still there, though I think it's the Pines or some such now.  
Oh Canada

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »

I heard to boys would meet at Gam Wahs to cut up the money on some big scores....thats stuff that would make a good movie.
Racepony

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »

I saw Carmine Abitello and William Popfinger ( i think) get into a huge brawl in the parking lot. As they were getting ready to square off, Jimmy Mahron starts taking action on who was going to win the fight.

It was about 5 am in the morning and the sun was coming up. The cops came and broke it up before it started. Popfinger lived right around the block, and he was bombed, so the cops gave him a ride home.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »

The Island Inn had the higher class druggies and track lizards sarcasm

I trust no one, not even myself~~
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »

I saw Carmine Abitello and William Popfinger ( i think) get into a huge brawl in the parking lot. As they were getting ready to square off, Jimmy Mahron starts taking action on who was going to win the fight.

It was about 5 am in the morning and the sun was coming up. The cops came and broke it up before it started. Popfinger lived right around the block, and he was bombed, so the cops gave him a ride home.
Two guys with big egos~~~

clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »

Yeah right!  laughing guy Monticello the picture on tv that looks like a never ending solar eclipse
I go down to rail a lot...ripped colors, dirty, it's terrible...but there are many other tracks worse than that. I guess there is no valet to wash silks Grin

The last time I went to the rail Herve Filion spit at me. I was lucky it went wide right. its too dangerous.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »

Wha?  Both Popfingers lived in Garden City. 
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »

Wha?  Both Popfingers lived in Garden City. 
I know Frank did~~don't know where the movie star with the big ego lived thumbs up

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »

Credit where credit is due, Billy was a good-looking guy.  Frank was... cadaverous.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »

Credit where credit is due, Billy was a good-looking guy.  Frank was... cadaverous.
Frank had a weird sense of humor~~you had to know him to love him thumbs up

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »

The thing I remember most about him was his NZ horse Nadala... ran headlong into a telephone pole, split the pole and walked away like nothing had happened. That story was all over the backstretch in about 6 seconds... 1979.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »

For some reason he won more at Yonkers then at R.R. trotter

I can't verify what you say is true, but I assume you are correct because of Loosh's down the road driving style.  The stretch was a lot shorter at YR.  Plus, the tighter turns at RR made it more difficult for drivers to keep their front runners from drifting in the stretch.  You wanted to be third on the rail at RR because you usually got out.  Third on the rail at YR was the death seat.
HHTremor

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »

GEORGE SADOVSKY and SOLLIE JOSLOFF.

I used to work for George Sadovsky when he and Rick Plano went to Hollywood Park back in 1981.

LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »

Loved Hollywood Park back in the day
JLB

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2013, 05:10:24 PM »

Ken Heeney to George Sadovsky was an auto-toss. George looked like he was ready to split his yellow/green silks, while sitting in the bike.
I have to disagree with, I believe Yimmy, ONLY about his recollection of Wheeling Downs. While I never saw a harness race there (was there once years later for the dogs), it was on a Winter circuit with Georgetown (Del.) Raceway at a time when Liberty Bell did not start its meet till February or March. Having been an avid reader of the weekly harness mags back then, and having visited Georgetown twice in, I believe, 1971, I don't believe purses at those two tracks EVER exceeded $ 500, whether it was for (literally) a $ 500 claimer, or an Open Pace. And for years after that, Harrington Raceway's purse for the Open was never above $ 1500.

Hinsdale fans will remember Bobby Kane, who was either a hunchback or had bad scoliosis, winning numerous races. I remember him smirking one night coming out of the winner's circle, having put over a longshot. I seem to recall he was drowned one day, and wondering whether it was an accident or not.
TheRedMile

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »

Wirtz~~Ivanhoe Stables out of Chicago?
Always jogged with Pitch Fork & Coco~

governor skipper / ivanhoes stables
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »

governor skipper / ivanhoes stables
Most of the horses they sent to N.Y.went to Bucky Norris with Joe Marsh doing the driving trotter

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »

I used to work for George Sadovsky when he and Rick Plano went to Hollywood Park back in 1981.

Interesting, though just a little after my time.  I remember him from the 70's... wasn't he a pumpkin farmer or some such?  I think his son was the track vet at Monti.  George had some decent Down Under horses... I remember a nice one named Golden Dreamer.

As for Ivanhoe, I seem to remember Chappy doing most of the driving for Bucky Norris on those things.
HHTremor

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »

Interesting, though just a little after my time.  I remember him from the 70's... wasn't he a pumpkin farmer or some such?  I think his son was the track vet at Monti.  George had some decent Down Under horses... I remember a nice one named Golden Dreamer......

You are correct. George was a farmer and his son was a track vet in NY. A little after we arrived in Cali, George had to go back east due to his diabetes getting worse. He ended up losing his foot, leg and his life due to infection. I believe his son had the horses shipped to Lou Mettinis. The two better horses names were Stutz (free-legged) Sugar Valley JJ. I believe Lou raced them at Yonkers.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »

...and now he's gone, too.  Went over to the t-breds before he passed on. Sad
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

I have to disagree with, I believe Yimmy, ONLY about his recollection of Wheeling Downs. While I never saw a harness race there (was there once years later for the dogs), it was on a Winter circuit with Georgetown (Del.) Raceway at a time when Liberty Bell did not start its meet till February or March. Having been an avid reader of the weekly harness mags back then, and having visited Georgetown twice in, I believe, 1971, I don't believe purses at those two tracks EVER exceeded $ 500, whether it was for (literally) a $ 500 claimer, or an Open Pace. And for years after that, Harrington Raceway's purse for the Open was never above $ 1500.

I checked back on this a bit, since it interested me, and more importantly, since I wanted to check the extent of my CRS.  I dug up an old YR program, and I see that on 1/20/75, Linden Star, coming from the fairs for Harry Harvey, won some low conditioned race at Wheeling, for a purse of $900, in the underwhelming time of 2:11.3, at 1-5.  You did not often get WD shippers at Yonkers, much less winning ones, but Linden Star did indeed win his next P-M start at Yonkers, $8.20 in the Hopeful Series.  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: