Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 30, 2014, 03:31:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNBETTABLE DRIVERS  (Read 5115 times)
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »

Top 10 of all time Ian Kaufman.
Report to moderator   Logged
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »

At Woodbine I am hard pressed to bet anything which Jason Brewer is driving.

He will turn a confirmed leaver into a confirmed closer and be dead last at the 1/4 pole from the one hole.

Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »

He's undeniably awful, but because of him, Whippet Good always seemed to go off a few points too high.  Of course, god knows what the horse could've done with someone better as a regular driver. 
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »

Real Cormier's job was to lose.  He was very good at it.  I remember following one horse who I thought was ready to pop at a big price.  The horse draws the 8-hole, so the trainer puts up Cormier and we get the expected 8888 around the track.  Next week.

The next week, he draws the 8-hole again.  Once again we get the expected 8888 around the track with Cormier.  Next week.  Next week.

The next week, he draws the 8-hole again.  Now the trainer is getting as impatient and he puts up Chapman.  NO PATIENCE.  I look at the spot and its just impossible.  I know what's going to happen, but I bet anyway.  He goes off 35-1, goes a monster trip and finishes third.  The next week he draws an inside post goes off a big favorite because of his last line and jogs.

WHY COULDN'T THEY WAIT ONE MORE WEEK TO PUT UP CHAPMAN?  WHY?  WHY?  WHY?   bang head
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »

Who was this horse?
APPRENTICE

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »

At Woodbine I am hard pressed to bet anything which Jason Brewer is driving.

He will turn a confirmed leaver into a confirmed closer and be dead last at the 1/4 pole from the one hole.

THANK YOU LORD WE FINALLY AGREE,HE BLOWS

HEY BISCUIT'''WHAT WAS DA NAME OF THE NICE OPEN FILLY BREWER HAD LAST YR OR 2 YRS AGO ,,HE WOOD ALLWAYS FCK UP IN  RACE PLS,

I NEVER WILL BET ,,HIM EVER,.,

Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »

Who was this horse?

I'm thinking it was Jane Volstadt.  Not sure.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »

Hmm.   Ted Taylor had a foal of hers named Jane Again.... a real dog.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »

BIG Ted Taylor fan here.  Made a lot of nice hits with him at Pompano.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2013, 10:08:44 PM »

LOL, don't forget, there was also ED Taylor at Pompano.

Ted was something... Cherokee Fire, Local Time, Brets Triumph... those horses were good for years.
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »

He's undeniably awful, but because of him, Whippet Good always seemed to go off a few points too high.  Of course, god knows what the horse could've done with someone better as a regular driver. 

I can swear by any book you want me to that some trainers simply hate money coming to them.
Jerome B

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »

LOL, don't forget, there was also ED Taylor at Pompano.

Ted was something... Cherokee Fire, Local Time, Brets Triumph... those horses were good for years.

Had a nice 3 year old Bret Over Again who finished 2nd in The Messenger at RR getting locked in the 2 hole until pretty late. Valiant Bret beat him with Fontaine
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »

That goes back.  Valiant Bret owned by the Gray brothers of whatsis, RI.  Battis trained for them a little later on.  Brets Velvet was a nice mammal.

Ted Taylor actually used to LIVE at Black's Raceway Motel in Westbury when he was in NY... can you imagine?  Big American history nut, supposedly.

I still have a win photo somewhere of Brets Triumph "winning" at RR for Arno Mendritzky, though his number came down because he rode up on someone's wheel.  Mendritzky is actually IN THE AIR (albeit slightly) as the win photo is taken. Now  HE was really atrocious.

the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »

That goes back.  Valiant Bret owned by the Gray brothers of whatsis, RI.  Battis trained for them a little later on.  Brets Velvet was a nice mammal.

Ted Taylor actually used to LIVE at Black's Raceway Motel in Westbury when he was in NY... can you imagine?  Big American history nut, supposedly.

I still have a win photo somewhere of Brets Triumph "winning" at RR for Arno Mendritzky, though his number came down because he rode up on someone's wheel.  Mendritzky is actually IN THE AIR (albeit slightly) as the win photo is taken. Now  HE was really atrocious.

If I remember correctly he had a white helmet, unpainted.
At Roosevelt you always knew that bad drivers had unpainted helmets Grin Grin
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »

I remember blue and yellow (gold?) colors; you may well be right about the helmet. 

Loosh had a white helmet, IIRC, though on the front it said LOOSH, and someone hand painted cross-eyes in the two o's.  Cheesy

The first time I saw Roger Hammer's colors, I almost fell down laughing.  But Roger Hammer was no autotoss, whether at Wheeling Downs for a $1200 purse, or in the YR trottin' feature for 20K.
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »

If I remember correctly he had a white helmet, unpainted.
At Roosevelt you always knew that bad drivers had unpainted helmets Grin Grin

Speaking of Roosevelt,
I still have baseball type cards of Joe Marsh Jr., Merritt Dokey, Del Insko and Carmine Abbatiello.

Add to the list of unbettables
Mikey Goldin
Joe Martin
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »

I remember blue and yellow (gold?) colors; you may well be right about the helmet. 

Loosh had a white helmet, IIRC, though on the front it said LOOSH, and someone hand painted cross-eyes in the two o's.  Cheesy

The first time I saw Roger Hammer's colors, I almost fell down laughing.  But Roger Hammer was no autotoss, whether at Wheeling Downs for a $1200 purse, or in the YR trottin' feature for 20K.

Loosh looked like he was playing the fiddle with his whip.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »

Speaking of Roosevelt,
I still have baseball type cards of Joe Marsh Jr., Merritt Dokey, Del Insko and Carmine Abbatiello.

Add to the list of unbettables
Mikey Goldin
Joe Martin
We must have went on same night! I have them too. I have the drivers you named plus Frank Pop, Norman Dauplaise, and a few others Cheesy Cheesy
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »

Loosh looked like he was playing the fiddle with his whip.
For some reason he won more at Yonkers then at R.R. trotter

I trust no one, not even myself~~
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »

The thing that always got me, and still gets me, is how tracks don't enforce a rule to have drivers at least look the part. Many drivers, who will go nameless, at certain tracks I won't mention, wear beat up Reeboks sneakers, have ripped colors, etc....that's just plain unprofessional....
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »

The thing that always got me, and still gets me, is how tracks don't enforce a rule to have drivers at least look the part. Many drivers, who will go nameless, at certain tracks I won't mention, wear beat up Reeboks sneakers, have ripped colors, etc....that's just plain unprofessional....

Are you sure its not that bad picture from Monticello ? laughing guy laughing guy
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »

For some reason he won more at Yonkers then at R.R. trotter
I liked Lucien. I agree Vegas, I think the reason is being on the front end more at Yonkers.
Back then, before they screwed up the track and moved the finish line, if you turned for home in front, the wire came up quick.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »

I stil have the RR cards as well.   Cheesy

Loosh used to twiddle his whip between horses' back legs.  It DID look like he was playing a fiddle.  But he was really doing the old Reggie Evans/Chris Kaman thing.  Hell, it worked.  Somerloc won a squillion cheap 10 claimers for Loosh and Regan with those tactics.  

I once saw Norman Dauplaise hit a horse, I think it was Herobe Streaker, with the whip HANDLE down the backstretch at RR.  I mentioned it in the chart comments... he won anyway, and no one got on his case about it.  I think the chart, with comments, is in Steve Chaplin's second handicapping book, which hopefully someone remembers.  (Or, as seems more likely,  not).
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2013, 10:54:27 PM »

We must have went on same night! I have them too. I have the drivers you named plus Frank Pop, Norman Dauplaise, and a few others Cheesy Cheesy

LOL. I wanted to trade all of my cards except Carmine for a Henri Filion.
Oh Canada

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »

Some of you boys are old...most of these guys I never heard off....still like reading the old stories.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: