Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 08:01:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best All Time Harness Announcer !!!!!  (Read 5485 times)
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »

IMO,,,,,SALIVE PRE POMPANO,,,,,,,SAM MCKEE THE BEST RIGHT NOW,,,,,,AND LETS NO FORGET JOE RICCI,,,,,,HOW THAT GUY DOESNT HAVE A GIG IS AMAZING,,,,,,,HOWARD OIL AND JIMMY B FROM POCONO ARE THE WORST
Report to moderator   Logged
LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »

Larry Ledderman
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »

Lederman is fantastic...
I actually liked Gene Hart down at Brandywine.
Howard Oil? Are you kidding?
Boring calls, monotone voice, and bad races to call. Not for me..
Jack was very good, got sloppy late in his career...
I also liked the guy at Cal Expo years ago, Joe Alto. Accurate caller. "It's Crunch Time!!"
I think what makes me like the guy is how he loved racing. Called races in and around Roosevelt Raceway, acting like a kid imitating Vin Scully calling a baseball game. Fact he got a racetrack gig and lasted as long as he has, shows he loves the game. After all he calls races for 8 people a day. I like that most about him!
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »

IMO,,,,,SALIVE PRE POMPANO,,,,,,,SAM MCKEE THE BEST RIGHT NOW,,,,,,AND LETS NO FORGET JOE RICCI,,,,,,HOW THAT GUY DOESNT HAVE A GIG IS AMAZING,,,,,,,HOWARD OIL AND JIMMY B FROM POCONO ARE THE WORST
Joe Ricci is up there !!!
Witherite

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »

In what ways you think?

Trevor changed racecalling in this country in the most significant way when he arrived in '83, IMO . . . in South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, where races are widely broadcast on radio, racecallers had to give more words to how a horse was travelling (commencing a rally, unable to advance any more, going just evenly, buried with run, etc.), as opposed to the comparatively basic chart-call type descriptions found in the States.

So we MUST recall that harness races in this country were by and large broadcast ONLY to people on-track prior to OTB in '81, but by that point, the calls were not as "Down-Under" radio friendly as many even lacked margins--and still do.  When simulcasting went full-bore in the mid '90s, the need for more detailed description increased as yet more of the audience migrated off-track, and in the harness game, the likes of Scott Ehrlich saw the need for this and incorporated trip notes into his racecalls, much like Trevor, Wrona, and Geller (best racecaller right now, by the way) had done for some time.

The context is ever-changing.
J. Mannix

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 11:27:08 AM »

Trevor changed racecalling in this country in the most significant way when he arrived in '83, IMO . . . in South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, where races are widely broadcast on radio, racecallers had to give more words to how a horse was travelling (commencing a rally, unable to advance any more, going just evenly, buried with run, etc.), as opposed to the comparatively basic chart-call type descriptions found in the States.

So we MUST recall that harness races in this country were by and large broadcast ONLY to people on-track prior to OTB in '81, but by that point, the calls were not as "Down-Under" radio friendly as many even lacked margins--and still do.  When simulcasting went full-bore in the mid '90s, the need for more detailed description increased as yet more of the audience migrated off-track, and in the harness game, the likes of Scott Ehrlich saw the need for this and incorporated trip notes into his racecalls, much like Trevor, Wrona, and Geller (best racecaller right now, by the way) had done for some time.

I DISAGREE WIT YA KID,,,AND SCOTT EHRLICHS NICKNAME "THE MOUTH" FITS HIM PURRFICT,,,HE SUCKS,,,YOURRE TRYING TO

MAKE THIS INTO SOME KINNA SCIANCE,,,IT AINT,,,ITS CALL DA FCKING HORSES WEN THEY GO AROUND IN DA CIRCIL,,,SUM GUYS

ARE NATURALS,,,AN SUM AINT,,,MANY GUYS IN DA 60S AN 70S ARE BETTER THEN ANYWON YOU MENTUNNED,,,,AN YOU WERNT

EVEN THOUGHT OF THEN,,,I LIKE YOU,,,YOU SEEM LIKE A GUD KID,,,,AND A GUD CALLER,,,,BUTT WE LIKE WAT WE LIKE,,,
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »

Trevor changed racecalling in this country in the most significant way when he arrived in '83, IMO . . . in South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, where races are widely broadcast on radio, racecallers had to give more words to how a horse was travelling (commencing a rally, unable to advance any more, going just evenly, buried with run, etc.), as opposed to the comparatively basic chaotically type descriptions found in the States.

So we MUST recall that harness races in this country were by and large broadcast ONLY to people offtrack prior to OTB in '81, but by that point, the calls were not as "Downwind" radio friendly as many even lacked cognisant still do. When simulcasting went Fillmore in the mid '90s, the need for more detailed description increased as yet more of the audience migrated offtrack, and in the harness game, the likes of Scott Ehrlich saw the need for this and incorporated trip notes into his racecalls, much like Trevor, Rona, and Geller (best racecaller right now, by the way) had done for some time.

The context is overhanging.
That's a clear consice explanation, and very accurate !!
You rank up there with the best ones !!!
 thumbs up
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »

I DISAGREE WIT YA KID,,,AND SCOTT EHRLICHS NICKNAME "THE MOUTH" FITS HIM PURRFICT,,,HE SUCKS,,,YOURRE TRYING TO

MAKE THIS INTO SOME KINNA SCIANCE,,,IT AINT,,,ITS CALL DA FCKING HORSES WEN THEY GO AROUND IN DA CIRCIL,,,SUM GUYS

ARE NATURALS,,,AN SUM AINT,,,MANY GUYS IN DA 60S AN 70S ARE BETTER THEN ANYWON YOU MENTUNNED,,,,AN YOU WERNT

EVEN THOUGHT OF THEN,,,I LIKE YOU,,,YOU SEEM LIKE A GUD KID,,,,AND A GUD CALLER,,,,BUTT WE LIKE WAT WE LIKE,,,

Some got it- some don't thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Oh Yeah  Mannix

Those SPX nights in the grandstand-  nothing like it RIP
J. Mannix

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »

Some got it- some don't thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Oh Yeah  Mannix

Those SPX nights in the grandstand-  nothing like it RIP
IM VERY SHOCKKED,,,NO WON,,,EVEN MENTUNNED,,,PHIL GOEROFF,,,A FCKING LEGEND,,,,  bowing
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »

You are a very good race caller, getting better every day.
I don't have to tell you, that unfortunately you are in a game where 60-80% of the people listening to you are losing money. I personally like fact you provide additional information during a race, I guess it's just people having different opinions. HNY beer
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »

always thought PG was better at the t breds  but he was solid

Here they come spinning out of the turn trotter trotter trotter trotter
J. Mannix

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

always thought PG was better at the t breds  but he was solid

Here they come spinning out of the turn trotter trotter trotter trotter
I MENT FOR DA TOROBREDS,,,BUTT HE DID A GRATE JOB AT HAWTORNE TOO,,,NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT,,,

IN CHI,,,LEVINE WAS DA BEST,,,HARNESS,,,FUNNY,,,DESCIPPTIVE,,,ACCURATE,,,OH I MISS THOSE DAYZ,,,
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »

I thought the guy who called the races in the movie The Sting had a future laughing guy laughing guy
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »

Wake me when the race is over Thanks!

clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

The problem with some of these announcers is they don't just announce/call the race. We have 20 minutes of chit chat at most tracks before the race. I don't need the announcer to tell me the horse on the lead raced in a higher class in his last start. I read the program and the people on the pre race show discussed it. This information is annoying and the betting windows are already closed too. Just call the race, please. Howard Oil and the loud and obnoxious guy from Pocono Downs do this constantly.
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »

The problem with some of these announcers is they don't just announce/call the race. We have 20 minutes of chit chat at most tracks before the race. I don't need the announcer to tell me the horse on the lead raced in a higher class in his last start. I read the program and the people on the pre race show discussed it. This information is annoying and the betting windows are already closed too. Just call the race, please. Howard Oil and the loud and obnoxious guy from Pocono Downs do this constantly.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up  AND SO DO ERLICH & WITHERITE
king151

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

How did none of you mention Tom Durkin ? IMO the best I ever heard T-Breds or Harness .
Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »

King, I have to agree with you, he was the best.
VicD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

The guy at Chester/Philly is OK..
I don't go to bet races to listen to the race caller, he is wallpaper to me. I don't need to hear the call anyway, I know what I'm looking for..
For me, a good racecaller gives the call as he sees it and sort of stays out of the way.
Lederman is funny but doesn't get in the way of the race..
The guy at Cal Expo who was from Chicago annoys me. Not sure why, but he adds nothing for me..
I do like the guy at Keeneland, Curt Becker (?)..
Very accurate and tells you what is happening with no extra nonsense...
It's like any other job; Not easy, and some are much better than others.
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »

How did none of you mention Tom Durkin ? IMO the best I ever heard T-Breds or Harness .

Now that you mentioned it, I'm not a tbred guy but I always loved to listen to Marshall Cassidys calls. He was phenomenal.
clubhouse

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up  AND SO DO ERLICH & WITHERITE

What tracks are these guys from ?
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

Jack Lee !!!!
 thumbs up

One of the best -- who became one of the worst
popcorn pennyless

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »

What tracks are these guys from ?

Cheater Downs & Cal Golfball
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »

Larry Ledderman

As good as Lederman is calling races at Freehold, they seemed to allow him more leeway when he called them at Garden State Park.  He was an absolute riot.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »

I thought the guy who called the races in the movie The Sting had a future laughing guy laughing guy
...as Uncle Martin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: