Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 19, 2014, 07:00:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Miller Leaving Hawthorne  (Read 4550 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »

I like Miller, but is this really such a tragedy?

Not probably if all you do is watch on TV.
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »

I like Jim. That being said, I believe HAW will somehow survive without him.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »

I really will be interested to find out what he will do at Midwest.A schmoozer or mouthpiece seems up his alley,but what do they need that for?As nice as everyone is here toward him,I do not think Hawthorne will be affected by his departure.They have a great many obstacles to overcome,so maybe he has jumped off that leaky boat in time.As to him training,a great many people are in that position knowing less than he does about the day to day it would seem.All that being said,good luck to him.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

Good Luck to Jim on his new endeavor! I think Hawthorne will survive but the gracious manner in which Jim handled most facets of his many jobs will be surely missed!
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »

we break now for commercial announcements , then  " The Rest of the Story"

(no idea , but suspect it will be interesting )
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »

I'd love to do the pre-race analysis before each race. I wonder who will get that job. Odds maker? Joe Kristufek?

I want this job too!!!

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »

Might be a good job for Crissy Tina

Aww...THANKS for that comment!!

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
bigdog32

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »

good luck  jim
Double Joker

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 09:03:13 PM »

TVG did a nice send off tonight before Hawthorne's 9th!  Best of luck Jim  flag clover
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »

Best of luck Jim.  There is no doubt success will follow Jim wherever he goes.  He is a very classy guy with a good heart.  It's a good combination.
alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 11:54:59 PM »

Doesn't anyone else think that Miller might be stepping aside or being forced out because of the whole virus fiasco? Things certainly weren't handled the way they should have been handled.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »

Considering how much he's been second guessed and accused here, did you ever think it was his choice?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 12:35:45 AM »

I think everyone knows that Jim was following instruction from his employer.  I also think that if he is going to work for Midwest....after he has worked with them this past summer...they were probably romancing him during this whole thing...it may have been the deciding factor for Jim....IMO
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 09:26:54 AM »

Things certainly weren't handled the way they should have been handled.

Pretty easy call after the fact, not to mention cheap.

You have the benefit of seeing what mistakes were made, so please provide for us an outline of how such an outbreak should be handled in the future. Should be a piece of cake, right?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »

It's actually DURING the fact HV. And i think quite a few people have made quite a few very logical suggestions as to what could have been done differently, that Hawthorne itself is now, after live racing, implementing.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

You have the benefit of seeing what mistakes were made, so please provide for us an outline of how such an outbreak should be handled in the future. Should be a piece of cake, right?

They handled it initially just like every other track. Unfortunately some horseman or his help tracked it out of that first barn and infected others.

Illinois has apparently learned some lessons. The State vet has laid down the law at Balmoral to prevent possible infection from horses coming in from Sports Creek (where they, too, isolated the initial barn, but did not stop racing.)

http://www.harnessillinois.com/

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »

I saw Jim yesterday at HAW on his final day.  He was his usual classy self and spent time with everyone who approached to wish him well.  He seemed like he was ready for his new adventure and was equally sad to be leaving HAW.

Since we can't seem to have a thread here without some sort of conspiracy theory, I will add my own....is this the next step in Midwest's take over of Hawthorne?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »

It's actually DURING the fact HV. And i think quite a few people have made quite a few very logical suggestions as to what could have been done differently, that Hawthorne itself is now, after live racing, implementing.

That's just great.

Let's see any of YOU geniuses run your business / barns the way you normally do, have some sort of major disruption or tragedy come down the pipe, then see what you all do to sort of the hundreds of suggestions and ideas (of which a solid 80% will be absolute rubbish), and then implement the correct solutions instantaneously, with no mistakes and no backtracking.

Hawthorne and all involved will undoubtedly learn much from the virus outbreak and develop better procedures should it happen again, God forbid, but...the level, tone, and tenor of the criticism here over the past 2 1/2 months has been mostly misguided at best, and simply cheap shot dirty work at its worst.

Viruses are living organisms, clever little buggers that mutate and adapt far faster than we simple humans can usually figure out its next moves. Eight horses died? We are lucky it wasn't 800, what with the piss poor way most of the backstretch followed the suggested disinfection procedures alone.

Now...my challenge stands: all of you self-appointed geniuses here, who just KNEW every "right" move that should have been made, and when, it's time for you to STEP UP and write a full set of procedures that should be followed by everyone -- the track, barns, vets, grooms, etc., all the way down to the hay truck driver, in the face of a future outbreak.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 12:03:58 PM by HorseVoice » Report to moderator   Logged
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 12:34:02 PM »

The simplest and, at least to me, most logical thing that should have been done was to shut the backside to new shippers.  The virus is going to run its course, why introduce new horses to the population?
alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 12:45:55 PM »

I don't have a plan of how it should have been handled but obviously some thing probably weren't handled the way they should have. Whether Miller handled things the right way or wrong way, it doesn't matter. Would someone else have done things differently, who knows?  But there are at least 4 dead horses and a lot of horsemen probably in a tough situation.  When you have a situation like this people step down or loose their jobs and it doesn't matter what business your in.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »

I'd love to do the pre-race analysis before each race. I wonder who will get that job. Odds maker? Joe Kristufek?
I hope it is Galassi or Kristufek.I always enjoy a nap listening to them. Wink
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »

I don't have a plan of how it should have been handled but obviously some thing probably weren't handled the way they should have.

Sure, it's obvious *now*, but my point -- which you are helping me make -- is that it's easy to call it in from the cheap seats, doubly so if you have no risk of suffering if you are wrong.

This is no different than armchair QB's going back and second guessing the efforts made to deal with Superstorm Sandy, the 9/11 attacks, the Vietnam War, etc...most everyone you ask is convinced that they had all the right ideas, and could have done a better job at managing those situations.

(Then ask those same people what they have ever been in charge of; most haven't had to decide anything much more significant than "Wendy's or Chinese?" for lunch.)
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »

Untold millions died of bubonic plague in the 14th century due wholly and solely to Jim Miller.  head shake
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »

I hope no one thought I was implying when I posted what I thought could have been done that Jim was responsible in any way. I don't think Hawthorne is to blame in any of this.  Their job is to make $$$ and they do that by providing us a platform to race and make $$$.  If they had refused or fought the state or ITHA any change in protocol they could be blamed, but from what I have heard they did everything that was asked. Hawthorne isn't responsible to look out for what's best for the Horsemen, that job belongs to the ITHA.
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »

Untold millions died of bubonic plague in the 14th century due wholly and solely to Jim Miller.  head shake
I thought it was Ralph Lauren, you just knew he was in cahoots with Marco Polo.

Has anyone seen the movie Contagion?   I don't know that a plague like this cannot happen again, I fear some day it will.

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: