Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 20, 2014, 03:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim Miller Leaving Hawthorne  (Read 4560 times)
sodgod

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »

Read today in the daily herald that sun. will be his last day working @ Haw.  Article says he is going to work for Midwest T-Breds.  Perhaps Jim will be their next 30% trainer.  Good luck to Jim.  Continued bad news for Hawthorne.  They are so  screw.

Sod
Report to moderator   Logged
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »

Sad news. Maybe better for Jim? Hopefully he left on his terms. Great guy! I had fun doing the Jim Vs. with him and he always took time to talk to us when we were in the paddock before races with our horses.
Chris Szulc

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »

If true, I don't know how Hawthorne will survive without him. He does TOO much for any one person there (and that is a huge compliment to Jim).
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »

That's great news.......
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »

Who's next Peter Galassi? Wonder if this is a bad omen for the tracks getting slots. Seems to me Jim would be sitting on a nice mgt. position and a raise in pay if slots were right around the corner?Huh??
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »

I don't know if this is a statement about the likelihood of slots or just the realization that there is limited upside in any family business if you have the wrong last name.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 01:27:23 PM »

Read today in the daily herald that sun. will be his last day working @ Haw.  Article says he is going to work for Midwest T-Breds.  Perhaps Jim will be their next 30% trainer.  Good luck to Jim.  Continued bad news for Hawthorne.  They are so  screw.

Sod
Did not read the article.In what capacity will he be working for Midwest?
Chris Szulc

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »

Here is the DRF article; the position isn't quite defined.

Good for Jim. Really will be interesting to see how Hawthorne copes here on out.

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-assistant-gm-miller-leaving-work-midwest-thoroughbreds
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »

Here is the DRF article; the position isn't quite defined.

Good for Jim. Really will be interesting to see how Hawthorne copes here on out.

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-assistant-gm-miller-leaving-work-midwest-thoroughbreds

This is a major blow for Hawthorne, following on the rough fall season they have had.  The article says they are not sure how is job will be filled, whether they get somebody else or absorb his duties among the existing staff.  Good luck on that one!

This news brings up some interesting questions.  Did Jim just get burned out by the many responsibilities of his job, added to the stress of this season?  Is his position with Midwest such a lucrative option that he could not pass on it?  While Jim certainly knows track operations, public relations, handicapping, and has been a horse owner, how does all this translate to the huge national racing operation of Midwest?  To my knowledge, he has not been a hands-on caretaker or trainer of horses or experienced in the breeding end of the business.  Does he have a bloodstock background?  How do they use him?  Are they a syndicate that needs a PR man to find other owners or create an image?

I could definitely see him going to another track, but this move I do not understand.  Maybe he developed some kind of rapport with Midwest over the summer when they leased Hawthorne's facilities which led to this new connection.  Could he help redefine Midwest into an even more super operation?

One thing I know is that he should have way less stress in this job and be a lot more appreciated.  I wish him the best and will miss him.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:28:53 PM by APCD Dan » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »

This news brings up some interesting questions.  Did Jim just get burned out by the many responsibilities of his job, added to the stress of this season?  Is his position with Midwest such a lucrative option that he could not pass on it?

Jim's been in basically the same job for a number of years, and as another poster pointed out, if your name's not Carey there's only so far you're going there. Or maybe he's just burned out by the constant criticism from 1,000 peanut galleries on every single niggling issue. Not to mention if the tracks get slots there's a lot of new slots tracks that decide they need to bring in a "gaming man" to run things, and push the racing people aside. Who knows?

It's Jim's decision for whatever reason, and Midwest Thoroughbreds, so best of luck to both of them and thanks much to Jim for all he's done for all of us.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »

I'd love to do the pre-race analysis before each race. I wonder who will get that job. Odds maker? Joe Kristufek?
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »

Joe would be a great choice,
Racing needs younger faces and JK is very personable.

Best of Luck to Jim Miller
Dr. Mel

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »

One thing I don't like about Midwest is that the farmers get lots of headaches from purchasers because Midwest has exclusive rights to Hay, straw and feed coming from those farms. Then if you go around their back, they have lawyers on your back.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »

One thing I don't like about Midwest is that the farmers get lots of headaches from purchasers because Midwest has exclusive rights to Hay, straw and feed coming from those farms. Then if you go around their back, they have lawyers on your back.

Why would anyone try to "go around the back" of an exclusive supplier deal they had signed, anyhow? Are these farmer not trustworthy business people?

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »

Joe would be a great choice,
Racing needs younger faces and JK is very personable.

Best of Luck to Jim Miller

Jim isn't that old. As a matter of fact, he's only a few years older than me. I'm 37.
Chris Szulc

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »

Jim does a lot for Hawthorne and it's funny seeing him having the title as only ASSISTANT General Manager, with Tim Carey having President AND General Manager. Jim, although he is a front-lines guy, seems to do most of the work.

Like beobob said, it's a family business and there's not much room after the level he attained...only more work...

The less time spent at the workplace probably will be good for Jim as he does have young kids to care for, so this will probably give him more time at home. I imagine it will be better pay-wise too.

Hawthorne....yikes, if they don't get someone as capable as him (or MULTIPLE people are probably needed to fill his position) that place will start creeping downhill.

I like the idea of bringing in a fan or full-time track-goer with some media experience to do the pre-race show. And maybe start paying Joe K to do the Morning line. What is Jessica Pacheco up to? No longer on GP feed, maybe HAW can pick her up.
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »

I'm guessing whoever does the prerace analysis will be doing it dirt cheap. imho
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »

Jim isn't that old. As a matter of fact, he's only a few years older than me. I'm 37.

I didnt say Jim was old, I meant racing overall needs young fresh faces
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »

Maybe Midwest is wheeling and dealing for a Track ?
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 01:14:04 AM »

I didnt say Jim was old, I meant racing overall needs young fresh faces

thumbs up
onthebit1

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 08:01:56 AM »

Going to really miss Jim. He has always been a staunch supporter of the ILEHC and of TB aftercare in general. A truly good soul. Best wishes to Jim in all he does.   
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »

My guess is he will be doing the general managing (office stuff) of midwests operations.  He will not be involved with training or breeding as many posters here have more experience at that end of the game.  As for Jessica coming to Hawthorne -  bang head  lets get real!!!!!
User1015

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »

Jim Miller is a good man. Wishing him all the best in his new position.
ggenie

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »

Might be a good job for Crissy Tina
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »

I like Miller, but is this really such a tragedy?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: