Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 21, 2014, 07:13:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody remember?  (Read 694 times)
jimk

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

Does anyone remember a teller at Arlington, making about $50,000. worth of wagers in one day and not being able to cover? He just kept getting in deeper and deeper trying to cash big and cover these losses. This happened in either in  the seventies or eighties. He was caught at the end of the day when his drawer was  short huge.
Report to moderator   Logged
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »

Does anyone remember a teller at Arlington, making about $50,000. worth of wagers in one day and not being able to cover? He just kept getting in deeper and deeper trying to cash big and cover these losses. This happened in either in  the seventies or eighties. He was caught at the end of the day when his drawer was  short huge.

There was a 21 year old girl at Delaware Park who's drawer ended up around 60k in the hole at the end of the day, despite the new safeguards that are supposed to alert the money room to make a pick up when the drawer has over X amount of money in it. She claimed her boyfriend made a $500 bet and wouldnt pay her and she began chasing.....When they reviewed the drawer they found out she was over 90,000 stuck at one point but she played a .10 super at Turfway Park all/all/all/all in a 14 horse field and ended up taking down the whole pool which was like 54k for a dime......She ended up losing another 20k back trying to get the rest of the money back when they finally went to her window.....

Another time at Delaware there were 5 2 year olds (all firsters) set to go when the two outside horse ended up kicking and getting injured and scratched......The track never canceled show betting because the field was loaded and they just sprung the gate after they announced the scratches.....A guy who was a teller (who I knew very well) was able to get out like 87k to show on a horse in the 45 seconds maybe that you had to bet......They came to his window before they made the race official and when he didnt have the cash in his drawer they fired him and took the tickets.....I know they didnt cancel the tickets before making the race official so Im not sure who ended up with the $4350 profit (which obviously was a minus pool the track had to pay most of) but somebody did.

This shit happens more than you think, but the tracks very rarely ever publicize it, turns out the girl who was stuck 60k was the daughter of a woman who had done the same thing about 5 years before at Delaware but only for about 20k. She didnt have to go to jail but pays Delaware like 240 a month in restitution, which means she will be paying for 20 years or so.

SHOWTIME!!!
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

The event at Arlington happened when the mutual clerks would only print out 2-5-10-50- or 100 tickets.  This guy had a window right at the finish line on the first floor, and he just kept chasing it.  That was the $50.00 window then, when $50.00 was a good sized bet.  I remember the track was abuzz that day, because AP actually brought in Arlington Heights Police to haul him away.  I think it was around 1976, but could be wrong.

OFO
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »

I also remember a story about a teller (either at Aqueduct or an OTB in NY) that could memorize the serial numbers of tickets she sold and anytime somebody made a decent bet on a bomb she would hand them the tickets and manually cancel them, she finally got busted when an 80-1 shot hit or thereabouts and the ticket came up as canceled

SHOWTIME!!!
TheRedMile

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

The event at Arlington happened when the mutual clerks would only print out 2-5-10-50- or 100 tickets.  This guy had a window right at the finish line on the first floor, and he just kept chasing it.  That was the $50.00 window then, when $50.00 was a good sized bet.  I remember the track was abuzz that day, because AP actually brought in Arlington Heights Police to haul him away.  I think it was around 1976, but could be wrong.

OFO

the story i read about an arlington teller was he left the track after the races and they found him in his basement hiding out
he kept betting chalk near the end trying to get even
Big C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »

b]

How about the teller at Maywood park who was punching tickets

while the race was being run, There was a malfunction of his tote

and he was able to punch out tickets. If he didn't get greedy, he

might have got away with a nice scam. Anyone else remember?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: