Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 26, 2014, 04:46:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cicero Grimes  (Read 1209 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »

I think Mel once owned this good local horse?

At any rate, I'd always just assumed Cicero Grimes was merely the name of the character from the classic 1967 Paul Newman movie "Hombre", until last night I was watching an old 1958 b&w Gunsmoke episode titled "Joe Phy". There was a character in it named Cicero Grimes, a character a far cry from the Hombre one. So that got me wondering where that name really came from because Gunsmoke always was pretty liberal about stealing actual western character names, and I found out this interesting fact: Cicero Grimes was the name of an actual outlaw (not much like Hombre, either), one of a trio of famous 1882 Arizona train (?) robbers. They got caught and his two accomplices (who had killed people in the course of the robbery) were hanged by a mob. Cicero made an impassioned plea on his own behalf, and a local lawyer went on about him for near two hours. At the end of the story he was awaiting trial.

Every day you learn something new from horse racing!  thumbs up

Kind of hard to read (use + liberally), but it's the "Arizona Express Robbery" story down in the 2nd column.

http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper%2010/New%20York%20NY%20Evening%20Post/New%20York%20NY%20Evening%20Post%201882%20Grayscale/New%20York%20NY%20Evening%20Post%201882%20Grayscale%20-%200848.pdf

And PS, another thing that Gunsmoke got me wondering, how many times over the 20 years did Matt officially get shot in the left shoulder? The thing must have been nothing but bone fragments floating around loose by the time he retired.
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »

Good stuff Terry. Yes, Mel owned the horse and he also named the horse after the character from the movie Hombre. Richard Boone was the actor. We also owned a horse named Ricky Roma, named after Al Pacino's character in Glen Gary Glen Ross. Unfortunately, he broke down in his debut race. He might have been a good one as he was training well and had the lead in the race.

Here is a classic race from Cicero Grimes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQutW75G2Vc

brianwspencer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

That was a blast from the past -- was just thinking about Stratematic the other day, too!
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »

I galloped and breezed him.  He was one of my ALL TIME FAV.'s. we have so many pics of him.  I remember Mel telling us the story of his name the New Years Eve we spent up there.  Great memories.
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:02:49 AM »

He was salty and one I always liked to watch run. I think the race posted above is the one that grabbed me.
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »

I galloped and breezed him.  He was one of my ALL TIME FAV.'s. we have so many pics of him.  I remember Mel telling us the story of his name the New Years Eve we spent up there.  Great memories.

No one ever did a better job getting him ready to run than you did.  Wink  bowing
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »

This was and is my favorite horse, and I still own him having retired him to a farm near me. My grandchildren love him and look forward to our visits to the farm so they can give him carrots. He is my favorite not because he won 10 races for me, but because of the heart he displayed with all the physical issues he had to deal with before he ever ran a race. I bought him for $3,700 at the Florida 2 year olds in training sale. When the vet examined him they found a bone spur/chip in his ankle and I could have voided the sale. I decided to keep him anyway because he impressed me on the track and it was the smallest amount of money I ever spent on a horse period. While in training at Arlington getting him ready for his first race he collapsed walking to the track. He was diagnosed with EPM and we were not sure he would ever make it to the race track. We treated him for his EPM (very expensive) and got him to the track. I did this every year I owned him because the symptoms kept reoccurring. He trained well and ran 2nd in his debut and broke his Maiden in his second race. Despite having these physical issues that had to be dealt with on a constant basis he overcame them and won 10 races for me in spite of long regular layoffs. I finally lost him to a claim and claimed him back for $3,000 less. I gave him a little break and won the very next race. I ran him 2 more times and his ankle was getting worse so I decided to retire him instead of risking having him break down.
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »

Terry, I was always aware of both Cicero Grimes, Gunsmoke (loved the series) and Hombre (one of my two favorite westerns ever). I named him after the Hombre character. Never new there was a real outlaw with that name, learned something new today.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »

I'll never forget this race. I really thought we had a chance to win this race going in. Too bad the winner got a 106 BSF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHoy2FYRZI
thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »

I'll never forget this race. I really thought we had a chance to win this race going in. Too bad the winner got a 106 BSF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHoy2FYRZI

Stivo, did I read those fractions right? Good lord those horses were flying!!! Thanks for sharing, Give Cicero a carrot for me next time you see him. And it is awesome to have you back on the forum  beer
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »

Thanks Mel.  I am so happy to hear he is near you.  You always said he would be and you followed through.  Sooo many people don't.  Would love for you to email a pic from your next visit with him. 

And the Canterbury video is CRAZY.  HE never gave up !
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »

Stivo, did I read those fractions right? Good lord those horses were flying!!! Thanks for sharing, Give Cicero a carrot for me next time you see him. And it is awesome to have you back on the forum  beer

It was 95 degrees and the strip was hard & fast. It was the only track record that fell that day however.
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »

How caring of you to make a home for him in his retirement. Saw the replay from Shakopee... gritty and never packed his bags. That is how I remember him.  Bred for speed up and down and nothing fancy. Good story.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:21:12 PM by JoeMama » Report to moderator   Logged
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 11:22:44 PM »

Very Caring Joe.  And it's not limited to Cicero G.  A.k.a. Cis cis Cicero...
One of the most caring families I have ever known.  His niece is actually taking care of Rosie Homeisters little girl while she rides....Just good, good people !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: