Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 21, 2014, 09:11:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High overcheck.  (Read 1991 times)
Mr Lahey

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »

I have a 3 yr old filly that I have to check real high, so high I have to have somebody push her head way up in the air while I check her. If I don't check her that high she'll break. Everything else looks great. Not lame or sore at all. Goes on the gate like a champ. If I could let her down a little maybe she'd be a little faster. Been in 52 and a piece. Thought about trying a choke plate but she doesn't seem to be choking down. Any ideas? Straight overcheck, shadow roll, blind.
Report to moderator   Logged
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »

something is bad wrong!!and i bet i can help  but need to know more info....does she hog in the check?? have you had her wolfe teeth removed  is she cross firing???  i have been in this for 40 yrs and never never heard of such a thing
Mr Lahey

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:05:27 AM »

Had her teeth floated and pulled. Doesn't hog. Never cross fires at all. Very good gaited. I did try a choke plate just out of curiosity because I can't figure it out but she didn't like it at all and it really didn't make a difference.
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »

Still missing alot of info to even attempt a guess....track surface? Where in the mile does she run if you drop the check a hole or two?  Right away, or during a brush?  A turn? Done during racing only, or during training miles as well?  What type of shoes, toe lenghts,and angles?  Assuming she IS good gaited, then these numbers should be pretty standard.  Alot of times a high head will put them out in front of themselves as opposed to going a full stride towards the rear shins (swy denny asked about the crossfiring...)  Really gotta see video or in person to get close to a good guess here....
  Are you training this filly yourself?

Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

First thing I would try if she WAS good gaited, would be to put the head down where it appears comfortable, and take up the hobbles a hole or so...this is assuming she doesnt need, say, a Crit Davis or some such riggin....and the shoes/feet are correct for surface and conformation/gait.  That high of a head could make her rank, and/or tire her out real quick.

J. Mannix

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »

I WOOD TRY A SHADDOW ROWL FURST,,,MAYBE EVEN A SCREEN,,,SHE GOTSA BE SEAING SUMTHIN,,,DONT SOUND LIKE ITS ANY
KINDA FISICAL PROBLUM TWO ME,,,  dunno GUD LUCK
Mr Lahey

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »

Thanks for the help so far. She has a shadow roll and blind bridle. I had her scoped last week and she was supposedly bitten by a beetle of some sort so I have her on SMZ tabs but this isn't the problem. Well maybe it is but she's had this check problem since starting with her. She is rank. A real Beetch in the paddock but I like em that way. She's been racing at Pompano, Tioga, Toga, Vernon and Batavia. She breaks at the gate and stays that way and only during race. She gallops when jogging most of the time, it's a slow gallop but a gallup nonetheless. I may have understated the push, when I say you have to push her head up I have said "No push it up, higher, higher, push on it."  I'm going to try the Crit Davis. The really weird thing is she doesn't pull at all. Never has. Jogging and training it's 2 fingers even galloping. Sorry it took me so long and I appreciate the help. You guys know how much free time we have and I was at the Del Oh sale last week so I'm trying to catch up. If you want to see a race pm me and I'll give you a link or 3 or the info so you can watch a few. Again I really appreciate it. Last week she was sick, 2nd over half the mile and still got a check against the boys so if I can get her helped just a little she could be a really good raceway horse.
ThePaceMaker

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »

As a non-horseman I must say your guys thorough knowledge of horses is pretty remarkable, the ability to diagnose something over the Internet= very impressive, good luck!
danny patch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:27:10 AM »

If she isn't hogging down into the check you might try replacing the current overcheck with a mini-bit, it will get her head up without pissing her off. Just a thought.
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »

i have been around this bisiness for 40+ years  and never seen a mini bit used as an overcheck...except for the last few years
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: