Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 20, 2014, 03:49:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Most Under-Rated Horse?  (Read 1182 times)
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 05:01:20 AM »

smarty jones, all 8 wins came at different distances. insane how the horse is hardly ever mentioned, had he not endured such a brutal trip in the belmont the so "called" experts im sure would rank him among the best of all time
Report to moderator   Logged
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »

Pretty good mud sire to boot...
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »

g3, a lot of people blame Jerry Bailey for setting such a brutal pace in the Belmont for Smarty.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:46:08 PM by Mary Ann » Report to moderator   Logged
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »

Smarty Jones a good choice. But I watched his Belmont closely. Neither the trip nor the ride was the problem, he just got gunned down by a horse that could run 1 1/2 miles a little better than he could.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »

I guess we will never know for sure what Bailey's intentions were but here's the controversy:

"The controversy centers on the early challenges to Smarty Jones in the 1 1/2-mile Belmont. With more than a mile to go in the marathon race, Bailey, aboard Eddington, and jockey Alex Solis, atop Rock Hard Ten, appeared to have prematurely moved their horses in an attempt to double up on Smarty Jones.

As soon as Purge started to fade, Rock Hard Ten and Eddington pushed to engage Smarty Jones rather than stalk him until the stretch run, putting pressure on Smarty and compromising their mounts in that pursuit.

Steve Waxman of Versailles, Ky., has been a racing fan for 45 years. The thoroughbred owner and breeder wrote that Bailey's ride was one of "not trying to win." He wrote that Elliott and Edgar Prado, who rode winner Birdstone, were probably the only two riders in the race riding to win. He concluded his letter by suggesting Bailey apologize to the Smarty Jones team.

Bill Brown of Philadelphia wrote that he watched the video replay of the Belmont Stakes five times, and is firmly convinced that Bailey and Solis had extremely "questionable rides."

Watching Bailey attempt to move five-wide aboard Eddington with a mile to go, he wrote, "left me incredulous ... indicating to me that (Bailey) was more interested in trying to get Smarty Jones beaten than to win the race himself."

Peter Thompson of Wellington, Fla., asked why Bailey would not sit behind the contested pace, but instead eliminated any chance his horse had of winning by pressing early.

And Mike Iammarino of Surprise, Ariz., wrote, "I have been a jockey for 17 years and have always had a lot of respect for Jerry Bailey. His ride in the Belmont Stakes, however, on a live contender, was a disgrace to horse racing. Bailey sacrificed himself only to beat Smarty Jones and jockey Stewart Elliott."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2004/jun/14/columnist-ralph-siraco-smarty-jones-fans-cry-foul-/
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »

altho i was a fan of baileys mary ann youre correct i do recall hearing alotta sh1t bout him regarding the race, he was said to have wanted the mount on SJ prior to the TC( lol who wouldnt?) and maybe some of the top circuit guys didnt like the idea of a older guy comin from a lower mid level circuit(phillys money wasnt even half of what it is now) and doing something none of them has been able to accomplish which was win the TC!

i disagree earl, he endured a rough trip and lost some ground early on and got beat what, 1-2 lengths for all of it? he gets a clean trip he wins for fun imo
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: