Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 07:02:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Most Under-Rated Horse?  (Read 1196 times)
JoeMama

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »

I am going with Criminal Type. He beat Easy Goer, Sunday Silence, Black Tie Affair along with winning two Eclipse Awards in the same year, including HOY. It seems like nobody ever talks about him. He wasn't a Derby horse nor a BC Classic horse, maybe that's why... I don't know.
Report to moderator   Logged
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »

Formal Gold. By far.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »

I'll go with Camagin. She's the only horse I own so by default she is my most underrated.  nyah
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »

Cybele, Leroy Jolley's *other* terrific 2-year-old filly in 1979, when he also had Genuine Risk, who won the '80 Derby.  IIRC, Cybele had better sprint numPerz than GR did.

JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »

Formal Gold. By far.

It is pretty much a tie for me between Formal Gold and Criminal Type. I only mention CT because people never seem to mention him while I do her comments about FG... probably because of Beyer.

With greatness, I guess it comes down to what people value. Number 1, high performance over a long period of time, in other words, consistency. Number 2,  a smaller number of monster performances over a short period of time mixed with losses. It seems that people value consistency and winning streaks.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:34:41 AM by JoeMama » Report to moderator   Logged
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:12 AM »

Alydar and Free House
Exbourne
Drunk fat and good

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:06:35 AM »

Timely Writer...Horse could run..He would have fanned by Java Gold If He didnt breakdown in The Jockey Gold Cup..My 1st painful race memory when I was a kid
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:08:47 AM by Exbourne » Report to moderator   Logged

I drink,I smoke,I gamble.
What a Life!!!
7/29/05.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »

I had Timely Writer when he beat the undefeated but wildly overrated filly Before Dawn in the Champagne in NY; he paid a very generous numPer... despite Alydar's success, you certainly didn't get hurt badly back then betting against Veitch/Calumet, and Before Dawn, by Raise A Cup, was bred to go about 6 furlongs and one inch.   
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »

Miss Woodford.
Epsom Derby

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 11:20:03 PM »

In terms of "famous" runners, I'd lean towards Skip Away. The runner won the Breeders Classic, had a handicap campaign which took him all over the States, in which he usually carried 130 v. his rivals 112, and he's really never mentioned as an all time great. If only he liked that Churchill surface.

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »

I loved Skip Away. So much that I always carry a copy of his lifetime PP's in my handbag and he's the only one I do his for. No lie; I never know when I might start talking about Skip Away. If you've never seen his lifetime PP's, take a gander. So impressive.

http://www1.drf.com/newsletter/skipaway0514.pdf
Livingthedream

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »

The horse that first comes to mind for me is a local horse. "Lord of the Game" made his first lifetime start on 12/31/2004 for a maiden 10K claimer. Very much under rated by his trainer and went on to win his maiden race by 22 length's. was claimed by one of my old time favorites Tom Tomillo out of that race. He went on to win 6 of his next 7 including graded 2 and 3 races and earned $543K in 16 lifetime starts.

I don't know the whole story, but it looks like he was injured in his race in 9/2005 and retired, only to be un-retired in 2009. I would love to know what happened to that horse.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 12:03:57 AM »

Now THAT'S an interesting one:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=6088672&registry=T

Last race at Mountaineer. 
Livingthedream

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:06 AM »

Yep, IMO it is a shame that he was brought back to run at that level. I am really interested in what his issue was that caused him to stop racing in 2005.
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »

Alydar and Free House

Oh yea, loved them both. Free House was as game as they come. That was the last great year for 3 yos. It was jam packed with runners. Captain Bodgit is one who does not get the respect he deserves.
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 01:20:06 AM »

I think Afleet Alex was on the verge of becoming one of the all time greats when he got injured. He had unbelievable acceleration, even going a mile and a half, and would have liked to see him make the classic that year.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »

I like a lot of secondary horses... allowance types and game claimers whose names rarely if ever make the record books.

Very aprorpos for a Chicago board... there was a greass horse named No Neck who raced in New York for years.  Kay Jensen, a Danish guy whose colors were in fact the Dnaish flag, had him as a younger horse... He was a Sir Ivor, and those tended to develop later on.  Jensen was a good trainer, he was pretty patient with him, and No Neck slowly developed into a good if not great grass horse with one special affinity:  he LOVED the Belmont turf course.  Eventually Frank Martin grabbed him out of a high claimer, but of course No Neck just kept on winning; I believe he rang up 11 lifetime Belmont turf wins.  Very game mammal, raced well into his older years, 27 of 95 wins lifetime, just under 300K in earnings.  He is remembered and missed.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 12:09:33 AM »

Some of my favorite local claimer/allowance/overnight stake runners over the last 15 years are:

Stratomatic

Talknow

Flemish Cap

Mr. Big Time

Lil Thomas Too

Spectacular Cat

Pics Legend

These were ALL hard knockers. This list doesn't include some of the horses I've owned because I'd be partial to them.

Chris Szulc

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »

I don't know the whole story, but it looks like he was injured in his race in 9/2005 and retired, only to be un-retired in 2009. I would love to know what happened to that horse.

Great horse and one of the best claims on the Chicago circuit.

Was claimed from the same guy and Rivelli for 5k at Mountaineer in his last race for the purpose of retirement by Maggi Moss. According to this story, he is at WinStar Farm (the breeder):
http://thesecondrace.blogspot.com/2009/09/prominent-owner-maggi-moss-dips-in-to.html
Earlstone

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »

Anyone else remember some of these....
Double Accord
Fredricktown
Flaming Damascus
Earlstone
Bundle Of Iron
Shell Shot
Defrost
Jeremy Jet
Harham's Sizzler
Explosive Darling
Beau Genius
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:00:18 AM by Earlstone » Report to moderator   Logged
Livingthedream

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »

Great horse and one of the best claims on the Chicago circuit.

Was claimed from the same guy and Rivelli for 5k at Mountaineer in his last race for the purpose of retirement by Maggi Moss. According to this story, he is at WinStar Farm (the breeder):
http://thesecondrace.blogspot.com/2009/09/prominent-owner-maggi-moss-dips-in-to.html

Chris, Thanks for the details on Lord Of The Game. It is great to know that he is in a safer environment.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »

Lord of the Game was a great claim and our trainer at that time told us to drop a slip and we passed.  doh

The one thing I did not like about the connections was that they ran him in a starter allowance on grass, 2 weeks after winning the Grade-2 Cornhusker at Prairie Meadows and then followed that race up 2 weeks later again in the Claiming Crown. I thought it was a bad move. The horse was obviously tired in the CC and lost.
Earlstone

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »

Lord of the Game was a great claim and our trainer at that time told us to drop a slip and we passed.  doh

The one thing I did not like about the connections was that they ran him in a starter allowance on grass, 2 weeks after winning the Grade-2 Cornhusker at Prairie Meadows and then followed that race up 2 weeks later again in the Claiming Crown. I thought it was a bad move. The horse was obviously tired in the CC and lost.
I remember that grass race. If my memory is correct, he took a funny/strange step in that one nearing the wire.
Livingthedream

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »

Yes, I agree, looking at the month of April, they ran 3 races in 21 days. You typically don't see a horse run that close together, especially at that level.

Stivo, speaking for myself, I am sure that I would have been kicking myself in the A-- for not dropping a slip. If you don't mind sharing. What did you see that kept you from dropping for him?
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »

Yes, I agree, looking at the month of April, they ran 3 races in 21 days. You typically don't see a horse run that close together, especially at that level.

Stivo, speaking for myself, I am sure that I would have been kicking myself in the A-- for not dropping a slip. If you don't mind sharing. What did you see that kept you from dropping for him?

To be honest, we got lazy. It was New Years Eve and nobody wanted to drive down from our outfit. Who knows, we may have won a two-way shake.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: