Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 22, 2014, 07:09:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O.T. RIGHT TO WORK!  (Read 1795 times)
TheRedMile

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »

They talk about forcing guys to sign a union deal before work can begin.  If you can honestly say that in a time of disaster and emergency that you think putting union brotherhood BEFORE the basic needs of children and elderly then you are just not human.

like i said read the other link you provided

gov christie himself is on record as saying the charges you list above as false
Report to moderator   Logged
Louie Weedelbaum

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »

Damn those independent fact checkers.

What is independent to a biased individual like you is actually non-mainstream to normal people.
Louie Weedelbaum

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »

I never said anything about NJ, learn to comprehend I said ask the people of LONG ISLAND!!!!  Long Island is in New York in case you don't know..  The other link I posted has been discussed in NJ but I have no idea what went on but it was reported so something happened but as usual there will be three sides to the story.

I heard the other day about a beef with paychecks now for these crews.

Let me know when you want to address the Long Island situation, you won't because it makes it you look foolish.
Louie Weedelbaum

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »

The crews from Alabama that were NOT turned away were union crews BTW.
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »

Drug smoking idiot republiCONS are all that live here.

Similar to the 13 "crackhead-stoned-drunk" union members that Chrysler was forced to take back yesterday. You must support this decision so you are in favor of doing drugs even though you repeatedly call people here idiots and crackheads. It is okay to put peoples lives in danger if you have a union card and support Democrats. Think they would be back to work if they were non-union?
Louie Weedelbaum

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »

Similar to the 13 "crackhead-stoned-drunk" union members that Chrysler was forced to take back yesterday. You must support this decision so you are in favor of doing drugs even though you repeatedly call people here idiots and crackheads. It is okay to put peoples lives in danger if you have a union card and support Democrats. Think they would be back to work if they were non-union?

You are trying to discuss something logically with an il-logical person.  It won't work.
Louie Weedelbaum

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »

More on the power issues from the 5 towns times, a local newspaper on Long Island serving the 5 towns area which includes Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Hewlett, Woodmere and Inwood, but I guess they lie too.  The only people telling the truth are people who didn't live through the devestation I guess.

Next you'll be telling me that Chris Mathews was right for saying "thank god we had this storm" I mean what are a few dozen lives compared to his vitriol???  People died in this storm just for your information.

http://5tjt.com/?p=13950
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »

Another news item, dated Nov. 5, shooting down the "turned away" rumors, this one from CNBC:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49699566/NonUnion_Help_Not_Rejected_After_Storm_Utility_Co

Another story from New Jersey that also refutes the story they were turned away:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/non-union_utility_crew_from_al.html

It all seems to trace back to this hillbilly TV WAFF station in Alabama.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
TheRedMile

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »

having been to new yawk multiple times and visting belmont i am quite sure i know where long island is
so a story happens in new jersey that you have no idea about but you brush that off as " usual there will be 3 sides to the story " how convenient for you
you have yet to provide any link where being out of power for weeks was because of this so called union situation
it took the crews a few days to even arrive from out of state
you like to bash the union for the long island situation yet you make no mention of the ny gov's failure to act as chrisite did

unions mostly exist because of bad mgmt decisions which employess band togther

I never said anything about NJ, learn to comprehend I said ask the people of LONG ISLAND!!!!  Long Island is in New York in case you don't know..  The other link I posted has been discussed in NJ but I have no idea what went on but it was reported so something happened but as usual there will be three sides to the story.

I heard the other day about a beef with paychecks now for these crews.

Let me know when you want to address the Long Island situation, you won't because it makes it you look foolish.
TheRedMile

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »

you were not there and do not have all the facts
there is always the possibilty even in a non union shop they may have returned if procedures for discipline were not followed

chryler for yrs put millions at risk but putting out cars that were not safe yet mgmt shipped them
we were then forced to bail them out
newjackcity

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »

Are any of the main debaters in this issue presently or previously members of any union ?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »

And this Newsday story here says the real balking was done by utility providers in Florida holding up their crews over a piece of paper that said their workers should get the prevailing wages for NJ. Maybe they wanted to send their crews up there to work for the NJ wages but pay them the Florida wages and pocket the difference?

Key passage indicating that the Florida utility guys were full of shit:

"Barry Moline, executive director of the Florida Municipal Electric Association, said Long Island could have received 125 additional workers from utilities across Florida as soon as two days after the storm if a dispute about the letters had been resolved sooner.
"To have this contract thrust upon these organizations on short notice is an affront . . ." Moline said. "We said [to IBEW local], 'Why are you doing this?' They said, 'We want them [imported workers] to get a taste of the union so that when they go back home, they want the union.' "

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

RIGHHHHHHT. The union actually said that.

http://newyork.newsday.com/columnists/carrie-mason-draffen/fla-utility-union-delayed-crews-for-lipa-1.4205898?qr=1

TheRedMile

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »

your very 1st post in this thread says power restoration was delayed for more than a week maybe even 2 weeks because of the union issue

the very link you provide below says that issue was resolved " the weekend after sandy hit "

now either you lack comprehension skills yourself or were just plain lying in your first post   enjoy

More on the power issues from the 5 towns times, a local newspaper on Long Island serving the 5 towns area which includes Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Hewlett, Woodmere and Inwood, but I guess they lie too.  The only people telling the truth are people who didn't live through the devestation I guess.

Next you'll be telling me that Chris Mathews was right for saying "thank god we had this storm" I mean what are a few dozen lives compared to his vitriol???  People died in this storm just for your information.

http://5tjt.com/?p=13950
TheRedMile

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:47 AM »

Are any of the main debaters in this issue presently or previously members of any union ?

no i am not a member of any union
i spent the first 10 yrs working as a union member and served as a shop steward
the next 24 yrs i spent in mgmt in a union shop
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »

8 yrs machinist union
newjackcity

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »

no i am not a member of any union
i spent the first 10 yrs working as a union member and served as a shop steward
the next 24 yrs i spent in mgmt in a union shop
Thank you...Just curious as to all in this discussion...
Not that it makes their opinions right or wrong.  Just that, unless one has either been in or is presently in one, can they truly see the inherent benefits and of course the detriments.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »

I grew up in a union family and have had, and still have, family members working union jobs.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »

Just that, unless one has either been in or is presently in one, can they truly see the inherent benefits and of course the detriments.

They have both. They aren't all good, and they're not all bad like some of these FOX News slurpers would have you believe.

The Labor Movement (and subsequent living wages) in the US in the 20th century is what elevated millions of people into the ranks of the middle class and created the great consumer economy we have today. But they have their excesses, and in some cases they've outlived t6heir usefulness.

I've lived and worked in right-to-work states before. They aren't the end of the world. Just tend to pay people lower wages to the working-class union kind of guy. Good for business owners trying to become billionaires; bad for the schlub worker trying to support his family.   

Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 10:47:08 AM »

you were not there and do not have all the facts
there is always the possibilty even in a non union shop they may have returned if procedures for discipline were not followed

chryler for yrs put millions at risk but putting out cars that were not safe yet mgmt shipped them
we were then forced to bail them out

So management made the cars? Did the union refuse to build unsafe cars? Didn't we bail out GM too? Were their cars unsafe? The GM bailout is being reviewed and in danger of being reversed by the way.

No I do not have all the facts either just like you don't on the union involvement in Sandy. We are all subject to what we read and view and that is often the opinion of the publication or station doing the reporting. All I know is there were 13 guys drinking and drugging during their break. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that is not acceptable?  
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »

Getting a kick out of how much you all can avoid the "800 lb gorilla"....the philoshophy of ownership or labor. Much like the difference between Fox and MSNBC, the simple truth lies somewhere in between. If companies didnt feel the need to make EVERY SINGLE PENNY possible, there wouldnt be a need for unions or their combined protections. Niatross was correct earlier in his statement of union worker "protection" isnt the issue, non union workers benefitting from CBA's bargained for creating a base line of economics for labor....Wal mart...the most obvious example of everything, shows all that is great about consumerism, and all thats awful about management wanting everything. The difference isnt whether those who argue FOR labor want companies to make money....they just shouldnt think one person in a board room should receive a bonus as large or larger to the ENTIRE workforce. It's just assinign on any level to believe that. But then again, I come from a staunch UAW area where in my youth, 90% of the QC was union. (Sidenote, of course many of those who were on strike in the 70's and 80's are now at the top of the payscale and rail AGAINST everything that got them there).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:20:16 PM by Mel from Moline » Report to moderator   Logged

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
TheRedMile

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »

of course mgmt has a hand in any product being made imo at least 50%
who oks the designs of any product ?
who buys the matrerials ?
who sets prices ?
who hires the labor ?
do you really think no automaker knew ahead of time of a defect which led to a recall ahead of time ?
do you think apple had no clue of the prob with it's 1st iphone ahead of time ?
which way is cheaper ? ship the orders on time avoid costly delays and fix the problems after the fact or hold back billions in sales and have no cash flow ?

i never claimed to have all the facts in the sandy union issue but i was not one who posted here that it caused more than a week delay and maybe cost lives
i took issue with the person who made that ridiculous claim and then he himself ended up posting a link which indeed refuted   his original post
yet somehow he questioned my comprehension skillset
i used to work at a place where the only person capable of running a certain piece of equipment  was an alcoholic   mgmt allowed him to operate the machinery when they were in a pinch even went as far to pick him up and take him home
what sign does that send to other employees ?
i have no clue what went on with the 13 members you speak of but if mgmt allowed this in the past they are also to blame

So management made the cars? Did the union refuse to build unsafe cars? Didn't we bail out GM too? Were their cars unsafe? The GM bailout is being reviewed and in danger of being reversed by the way.

No I do not have all the facts either just like you don't on the union involvement in Sandy. We are all subject to what we read and view and that is often the opinion of the publication or station doing the reporting. All I know is there were 13 guys drinking and drugging during their break. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that is not acceptable?  
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »

Getting a kick out of how much you all can avoid the "800 lb gorilla"....the philoshophy of ownership or labor. Much like the difference between Fox and MSNBC, the simple truth lies somewhere in between. If companies didnt feel the need to make EVERY SINGLE PENNY possible, there wouldnt be a need for unions or their combined protections.

That's precisely correct. Go back and read the accounts of how George Pullman ran his business and treated his employees in the 1800's while he made his fortune. Or read Sinclair's "The Jungle". That's what life was like in the U.S. before unions ... a lot like all the horror stories you read today about the sweat shops in Asia.

Illinois sucks

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »

The Union talk pro's and con's can be found on both sides.  Also raised in a Union house hold and have many family and friends holding those jobs.  Also a wife that is a High School Counselor.  Living in Illinois unions have been a hot topic over the past year why because politicians on both sides of the party for 15-20 years have over spent their budget while forgetting to fund their pension system.  Under funded to the tune of 100 BILLION dollars the state is by far the worst of 50.  The Governor now in desperate mode to change the pension system is that right or wrong?  People are living longer these days with college professors drawing yearly pensions of 150k to 350k in some cases is that fair to state tax payers.  Unions were put to issue in Wisconsin and know Michigan.  Maybe they have seen what can go wrong with a state like Illinois.  Pennsylvania a suffering state that had Unions, are busted their state capitol Harrisburg, has been in bankruptcy for a year.  
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »

The reason the public unions have the big pensions is that for many years the States traded off pay and raises now for the promise of future bennies. And now the chickens have come home to roost.

Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »

If I owned a business where the workers threatened to unionize, I'd close up shop and go to the Bahamas until the workers decided they wanted to work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: