Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 06:30:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harness racing archives, do they exist?  (Read 872 times)
hungry

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »

If i wanted to see charts from the 1970s or 1980s, are these things gone forever or are they listed somewhere on the net?

If i asked you for the chart of a typical harness race at the meadowlands from 1978 (for example), a rainy Tuesday with a bunch of overnight races, would i be able to find this info anywhere, or does it not even exist anywhere?

Report to moderator   Logged
muddy

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »

I don't know about the charts. You used to be able to get archived results @ the Phillypark site.
Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »

Newspapers gotta have 'em somewhere.
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »

If i wanted to see charts from the 1970s or 1980s, are these things gone forever or are they listed somewhere on the net?

If i asked you for the chart of a typical harness race at the meadowlands from 1978 (for example), a rainy Tuesday with a bunch of overnight races, would i be able to find this info anywhere, or does it not even exist anywhere?

Depends on the year, date, and horse you want to see !!
I have many of those results !
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »

I HAVE A VAST COLLECTION OF OLD SPORTSMANS PARK PROGRAMS AND WINNERS CIRCLE PHOTOS
Grandstand Goof

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »

Answer=No..Nothing that old exist online
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:10:46 PM »

The USTA sold microfiche from 1973 thru 1996.
There were two versions of the fiche.
1) charts
2) racelines

Some were converted to digital by the USTA, however NOT all.

After 1996 the USTA sold CD's for a few years and then switched over to Pathway.

The Harness Horse magazine archives 1970-1991 are a newly added archive via google books, unfortunately due to copyright restrictions searching the 1970-1991 HH is almost impossible.

Unless some org has hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend (which there is no possibility to recover even if fee based; due to lack of demand) you'll never see a complete archive of race results from 1939-1995 for the US and Canada harness racing.

The Meadowlands old website may be available via archive.org. (unfortuately they did not come online until 1996 (Windsor Raceway was the first North American harness track to have a website)).
There were two old names.
1) thebigm.com
2) meadowlandsracetrack.com

edited (there may be a third and earlier name).

At one time the meadowlands website archives were so extensive that you could pull up anything from 1996 forward.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:21:17 PM by wilderness » Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »

FWIW,
          I'm missing one year for a complete set of the USTA microfiche.
Unfortunately, I don't have the space to setup the reader, and furthermore there is no way to transfer a screen shot from the reader to a computer.

I tried multiple camera's and settings and they all failed.

The microfiche was quite unique in that it was magnified at 40X. Most public libraries have microfiche readers that will print a page, however their magnifications levels are in the 20-30X range.I tried some 40X prints there and they were so small they couldn't even be read.
 The 40X magnification seems to have been used to preserve costs and also present a useable reader reader for a minimal cost as well.
 At last selling the microfiche was $135 per year, more if you wished the binder with file holders.

A years microfiche was in 150+ sheet range, with 150+ documents per sheet.
 150 x 150 x 23 years is plenty of documents.

Regards Don
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:29 AM »

I HAVE A VAST COLLECTION OF OLD SPORTSMANS PARK PROGRAMS AND WINNERS CIRCLE PHOTOS
Want to sell for cash? I would pay good coin for Sportsman's programs and winner circle photos.
BEAVER VAN PELT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 01:36:54 AM »

RACING CHANNEL HAS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF ARCHIVED RESULTS >>>

http://www.racingchannel.com/results_archive.php

horse shoe

"NOBODY HAS W-2G NUMBERS LIKE ME... THUS, AN EXCLUSIVE INVITATION FROM TVG/BIG M TO COMPETE IN THE 2009/2010/2011 NHHC TOURNAMENT"; ALSO, ASK ME ABOUT REBATE$...
FVRedhot

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »

FWIW,
          I'm missing one year for a complete set of the USTA microfiche.
Unfortunately, I don't have the space to setup the reader, and furthermore there is no way to transfer a screen shot from the reader to a computer.

I tried multiple camera's and settings and they all failed.

The microfiche was quite unique in that it was magnified at 40X. Most public libraries have microfiche readers that will print a page, however their magnifications levels are in the 20-30X range.I tried some 40X prints there and they were so small they couldn't even be read.
 The 40X magnification seems to have been used to preserve costs and also present a useable reader reader for a minimal cost as well.
 At last selling the microfiche was $135 per year, more if you wished the binder with file holders.

A years microfiche was in 150+ sheet range, with 150+ documents per sheet.
 150 x 150 x 23 years is plenty of documents.

Very cool collection indeed.  If you ever feel like seling, loaning out, or whatever, I sure would relish the opportunity to have the opportunity to participate.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

Quote from: wilderness link=topic=53661.msg607538#msg607538 [url=http://wayback.archive.org/web/19970801000000*/http://www.thebigm.com

Great post Wilderness, Thanks!
In addition, I wish there was a way "pre 1980" to look up a horse and see when their last race was? In those days before computers, I always wanted to know what happened to a horse I was involved with, and it was obviously difficult....sadly, maybe I dont want to know...if you know what I mean.....
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »

Very cool collection indeed.  If you ever feel like seling, loaning out, or whatever, I sure would relish the opportunity to have the opportunity to participate.

FVR,
        The Airline industry functions on repaired and re-certified parts to keep planes flying because new replacement parts are not available.
 The Airlines industry used microfilm and microfiche machines that will support a variety of magnifications. In addition the machines they use, will print and output data to a computer.
 Unfortunately, even a used machine is quite expensive.

There are some microfiche scanners as well, however they are expensive also. One needs to always keep the 40X in mind,

Besides, who wants to spend time scanning half-a-million documents, and then spend triple that time, formatting that data into a useable format.
 All that work with no possibility to even recover costs (no to mention time and/or profit).

The USTA YearBooks, which people cannot giveaway contained all the the North American un-charted harness results from 1939 thru approximately 1976 (when the results were discontinued, except for major stakes).

Through the process of archiving the old magazines, I've never felt the need to duplicate what is contained in the USTA YearBooks, however for pre-1939 I always archive race results. Unfortunately I do so an image whose contents are not searchable.

Regards Don
FVRedhot

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »

A few years back I purchased 8 years of the Microfiche off Ebay, and as a result I also purchased a reader that works.  It is just a passion of mine and I have the space, so I'm always interested in new items. 

The yearbooks are pretty useless, indeed.  I did pick up an entire collection for under 60 cents per volume from a person in Indiana, and despite looking neat on my shelves, I don't imagine I will ever get much use from them.  I am more interested in the charts, as opposed to just knowing a horses partiular record for a given year. 
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »

Quote from: wilderness link=topic=53661.msg607538#msg607538 [url=http://wayback.archive.org/web/19970801000000*/http://www.thebigm.com

Great post Wilderness, Thanks!
In addition, I wish there was a way "pre 1980" to look up a horse and see when their last race was? In those days before computers, I always wanted to know what happened to a horse I was involved with, and it was obviously difficult....sadly, maybe I dont want to know...if you know what I mean.....

exactor,
           That capability exists with the 1970-1991 Harness Horse magazines (Google books), unfortunately due to the crippled access (copyright restriction) it's almost impossible to locate anything.

These issues were scanned by Google Books machine from the bound editions that were donated to Pennsylvania State University.
 The person whom holds the legal copyright is still living, unfortunately when his time comes, these Harness Horse magazines at Google Books will remain in copyright limbo until 100-years from their publication date (formerly 77-years and then extended by 23-years due to the Sony Bono Act), and literally unuseable.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:39:51 AM by wilderness » Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »

A few years back I purchased 8 years of the Microfiche off Ebay,

Most every track had a full set of the microfiche.
How many tracks was that?

When the use of the microfiche ceased the fiche simply sat in a corner until somebody decided the best place was the trash dumpster.

Some horseman's orgs also purchased the fiche and that also sits in limbo today due to the effective use of USTA Pathway.

Regards Don
Mr_Ed

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »

I believe circa 1983 Maywood gave away a book with charts for the entire year.

Anyone remember (the book, not 1983)?

Someone is being lazy by NOT getting these stats to the public.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »

Someone is being lazy by NOT getting these stats to the public.

I guess if the stats are that important to you?

you'd get off your "lazy a-s-s" (your own words) and do it yourself.

Regards Don
Mr_Ed

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »

I guess if the stats are that important to you?

you'd get off your "lazy a-s-s" (your own words) and do it yourself.

A historical ISN'T too much to ask of the Chcagoland racetracks.

And, when I do publish it, it'll be free to everyone except you..........$5.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »

And, when I do publish it, it'll be free to everyone except you..........$5.

Five-bucks is not an excessive amount should one really desire something.

I've spent that time and again on magazines (even some books), merely so I could tear them apart and archive them.

Regards Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: