Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 01:25:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarantine information thread  (Read 22508 times)
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »

Tampa Bay Downs , Wed. 1/9 :

Temp -  85 degrees

Beer -   36 degrees

Win Fav- 20 percent

Sox Hats - 1

Cub hats - none
Report to moderator   Logged
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: January 10, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »

Yes. But for how long. This isn't a policy that will stay in effect forever. I'm guessing once the quarantine is lifted, Fairmount will then accept horses 28 days after that date. But that's just a guess.

Second hand info alert***: I'm hearing that this prediction is likely to become the policy. If what I was told is correct, horse will be able to come directly from Hawthorne to FP 28 days after the quarantine is lifted, provided there are no new cases.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: January 10, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »

You must be , Dan. 

And please don't refer to any of our people, whether it is a hot walker or Assistant as property.

Dale and I are One, not two. 

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: January 10, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »

Brivolta I was told the exact same thing by our vet so it is not second hand. Altho it does not go into accordance with the protocol that FP stated on the web site  dunno
thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: January 10, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »

Second hand info alert***: I'm hearing that this prediction is likely to become the policy. If what I was told is correct, horse will be able to come directly from Hawthorne to FP 28 days after the quarantine is lifted, provided there are no new cases.

Well if everything we have heard about this virus is correct, if a horse hasn't shown any symptoms and tests negative after 28 days, what's the big deal? I suppose Fairmount could start posting a bunch of Protocols on the ILHBPA website about cleanliness, Godliness and any number of other insightful musings so as to completely cover themselves from any possible responsibility in case any future problems may occur. That seems to be enough for the experts on here. Oh and post a sleeping guard somewhere, anywhere, on site. That should cover it.  head shake
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: January 11, 2013, 08:51:02 AM »

Well if everything we have heard about this virus is correct, if a horse hasn't shown any symptoms and tests negative after 28 days, what's the big deal? I suppose Fairmount could start posting a bunch of Protocols on the ILHBPA website about cleanliness, Godliness and any number of other insightful musings so as to completely cover themselves from any possible responsibility in case any future problems may occur. That seems to be enough for the experts on here. Oh and post a sleeping guard somewhere, anywhere, on site. That should cover it.  head shake

I dont think its a big deal I actually think it makes sense, which is why I suggested it a few pages back. I'm happy that's their stance and I think it's the right decision
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: January 11, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »

You know, this flu epidemic is making lots of people sick and even killing quite a few. Why doesn't the government shut down the entire economy and make people stay home, instead of just talking up a bunch of Protocols about getting a shot, and cleanliness?  

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: January 11, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »

Brivolta I was told the exact same thing by our vet so it is not second hand. Altho it does not go into accordance with the protocol that FP stated on the web site  dunno

See, I think they left themselves wiggle room which is why I predicted earlier on that they would do this. It seemed like a logical step.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: January 11, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »

New (?) written requirements for horses entering Haw or AP, for whatever it is worth now or would have been in October:

http://www.barntowire.com/2013/IRBnotes130110.html

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: January 11, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »

I think that most of us on the backside will be somewhat apprehensive about the horses coming in from Hawthorne. Im hoping everyone diligently puts in place some form of protocol to lessen the chances of any illness spreading on the backside. At this point all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

The only plus side for us is we are in a smaller barn with not much traffic and it is adequate in ventilation plus we disinfect on a routine basis.  crossedfingers
Babyruffy

Ignore
« Reply #460 on: January 12, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »

Is this really the end?

Quarantine End Message 1/11/13 Posted On: Jan 11, 2013 | Posted By: Glen

Quarantine End Message From Hawthorne 1/11/13

Dr. Ernst has lifted the quarantine effective at 6:00 am CST on Sunday, January 13th. Dr. Ernst has not put any restrictions here in Illinois, but would encourage anyone shipping to another State, to confirm acceptance prior to leaving Hawthorne Race Course.

Effective with the lifting of the quarantine, 2 year olds are prohibited on the backside for a period of 30 days due to their susceptibility to stress. The ITHA, State vet, and management will review this procedure in 30 days to determine a date when they would be allowed on site again. We are doing this as an additional step to help insure we do not have another virus incident.

If you have any questions please contact Dawn or me.

I want to thank you all for all your hard work and understanding during this very difficult time.

Tim Carey President & General Manager Hawthorne Race Course

Home | About Us | Organization| Members | News | Videos | Photos Copyright 2010, Illinois Thoroughbred Horsemen'sAssociation, Inc
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »

Better stay off Cicero Ave. Sunday morning, as there will be a roaring flying wedge of horse vans, driven by cabin-fever deranged horsemen, heading for the 55, going somewhere, anywhere.

dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:19 PM »

I received a call today from a trainer at Will Rogers Downs (OK).  He advised that he was called by racing officials today and told that any horse that ran in Chicago at ANYTIME in 2012 is barred for the entire meet.  I called for clarification of whether "Chicago" means Hawthorne or includes AP, but no return call yet.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #463 on: January 12, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »

I think that most of us on the backside will be somewhat apprehensive about the horses coming in from Hawthorne. Im hoping everyone diligently puts in place some form of protocol to lessen the chances of any illness spreading on the backside. At this point all we can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

The only plus side for us is we are in a smaller barn with not much traffic and it is adequate in ventilation plus we disinfect on a routine basis.  crossedfingers

Strange that each track has a different protocol.  Kentucky has their Ag Dept Approval, Oaklawn seems to have exceptions but Will Rogers bans all horses that ran in Chicago in 2012 for the entire meet.  One would think that what is correct for one jurisdiction would be correct for others.
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »

Better stay off Cicero Ave. Sunday morning, as there will be a roaring flying wedge of horse vans, driven by cabin-fever deranged horsemen, heading for the 55, going somewhere, anywhere.

I'm not sure there's much of anywhere to go, at least for now.  Each state will make its own call, and the "official" hawthorne announcement will probably be deemed premature by many, particularly since there were positives as late as 12/24 (I think).  If a quarantine ends in Chicago, and nobody pays any attention, does it make a sound?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »

You are exactly right Fasterhorses.   

And tracks/dept. of agricultures might want to think about flipping lips....
Once these horses start filtering out....

Just for instance...DALE has 2 horses that have not breezed yet....very easy to slip through, technically.....I PRAY this is over, but think this was a very premature, irresponsible decision.

g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: January 15, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »

LOL better for the horses of chicago anyways as that track isnt the safest surface. who from here runs over there anyways? mike durham is bout the only one i can think of and he only runs horses at fairmount not up here in chitown.

you shouldnt really be all that surprised equiforce(dont think you are), have they been responsible all along?

I received a call today from a trainer at Will Rogers Downs (OK).  He advised that he was called by racing officials today and told that any horse that ran in Chicago at ANYTIME in 2012 is barred for the entire meet.  I called for clarification of whether "Chicago" means Hawthorne or includes AP, but no return call yet.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »

Can anyone at Hawthorne give an opinion on how many horses have left, since the quarantine has been lifted?  I am wondering about potential field sizes for the upcoming meet.  There will likely be few shippers, since you can't race anywhere else if you ship in.  And, for that matter, many would not even be able to go home.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: January 15, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »

Dano.  I've heard that a few have taken horses out.  Tony Granitz said he had made arrangements to ate almost all of his to a private farm for some R&R and I know that yanez as sent his to his place in Ocala. They are filtering out, little by little.  I don't really believe that there have been massive exit parties, though.

And no, g3t, no surprises there. 

Up until the end, they were diligent in doing exactly the opposite of what they should have done.

In the message they put out saying that the quarantine was lifted, they also stated that no 2 yr olds allowed in....REALLY ?  But...if its safe...why not let them in ?  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense....
And if there are still horses, in the quarantine barn that Have NOT tested negative.....how in the WORLD can they lift a deadly virus quarantine ? 

Can they drop purses ?  SURE they can, as low as they want....because WE CANNOT GO ANYWHERE....

And to say it is the product, we horsemen are putting out as the cause, well, I have to address that by saying....what good owners, with high dollar horses would want to send horses here when there are so many other tracks giving away better money...these successful owners didn't get there by making terrible business decisions....

And just to reiterate one last thing....NO WORK was done to the track during the "down" time. 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:07 PM »

And to say it is the product, we horsemen are putting out as the cause, well, I have to address that by saying....what good owners, with high dollar horses would want to send horses here when there are so many other tracks giving away better money...these successful owners didn't get there by making terrible business decisions....

In Illinois, as in most other states that do not have slots or some other form of alternative gaming, purses are earned from wagers on the races, not from tracks "giving away money". If purses are crappy here it is because the product horsemen are producing isn't selling in the competitive marketplace of racing. No one is raising or training slot machines or card tables on their farm - horse racing is what you're selling. 

That said, I don't blame owners for sending their horses elsewhere to run for fatter slots welfare money ... everyone likes being given money they didn't have to actually earn, even generally conservative horsemen.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »

That they didn't have to earn ?  They earned every bit of it.  They earned the right when they purchased a racehorse and paid bills on it.  They earned the right at a chance to make money through their investment.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: January 16, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

I don't think Terry meant that "earn" thing the way you think he did.  I think he's talking about horsemen choosing to run places that have subsidized purses, as opposed to the purses that are  solely "earned" through the racing done at the local track.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: January 16, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »

That they didn't have to earn ?  They earned every bit of it.  They earned the right when they purchased a racehorse and paid bills on it.  They earned the right at a chance to make money through their investment.

Slots or card room money offered as purse money is welfare, pure and simple. It was not earned by anyone breeding, buying, training, or campaigning a horse. No horsemen did one thing that contributed to it being added to the purse fund, except perhaps lobby some legislators for this special handout.  

It's entirely different from having a chance to win it. I agree with you on that. If you buy a horse, you've earned a right to try and win some of that free welfare money.

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: January 16, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »

FYI  There are more people on some form of welfare in the state of Illinois than there are tax payers. At least the horsemen are willing to work every day for their "welfare"
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: January 16, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »

I would guess that the state of Illinois generates more revenue through the horse racing industry directly and indirectly than the "welfare" they contribute to the purses.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: