Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 01, 2014, 03:24:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarantine information thread  (Read 23567 times)
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »

Sure enough, that was my response to her rant about something that was never posted.

Surely even you could agree that white knights are considered to be of a saviour status? So don't back out now Terry we all knew what you were implying when you posted that asinine comment. Crawfishing doesn't do anything for your integrity head shake head shake

Glad to see the meeting went so well E. (wink wink)
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »

Surely even you could agree that white knights are considered to be of a saviour status?

They're more hero status. Real ones, anyhow.

So don't back out now Terry we all knew what you were implying when you posted that asinine comment.

If you want to follow Equiforce's lead and waste your time acting like an idiot fighting with the other posters, as opposed to discussing the virus outbreak, carry on. We can keep this up for hours.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: December 30, 2012, 12:21:47 AM »

Thanks Sporthorse, and everyone for your very kind words.

I have to give Kudos to Hawthorne as well for being so creative as to WHY the track is suddenly shutting down for "maintenance" reasons.  I'll be interested to watch them "pull back the track" , looking for underlying problems.
If they were concerned for the well being of the horses and riders and if the trainers have made complaints about the track surface, again, WHY are they just closing the track now.
And if we can suddenly keep our horses in the barn for 2 weeks, without fear of them injuring themselves, as the state vet previously stated was a big concern for her (I believe even during the "conference"), is it no longer a concern ? 
I'm glad it is happening, it needed to happen long ago, but what an absolute joke.  The statement should have been....in the interest of kicking this virus, once and for all, and in the interest of a happy, HEALTHY spring meet, we are going to try something different...it might have actually made some of us horsemen feel like they cared even a little.

And to end on a positive note...there are quite a few white knights in here....and you all are pretty awesome to come to my defense.  I really appreciate you all.

If I hear anything, I will pass it along....after confirmation of course.

Thank you. Smiley

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: December 30, 2012, 01:13:22 AM »

If they were concerned for the well being of the horses and riders and if the trainers have made complaints about the track surface, again, WHY are they just closing the track now.

There's not a track in America that closes down their meet for serious track maintenance unless horses are breaking down left and right and the jocks and/or horsemen refuse to participate. They all wait until AFTER the meet. See, for instance, Arlington that last year of dirt, or even Santa Anita the last couple times they had to resurface. AFTER the meet.

Evangeline did stop and inspect/fix theirs, but that's only after the horsemen refused to continue.

jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #354 on: December 30, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »

EHV-1 is being reporting at a harness track in Michigan:
http://www.barntowire.com/2012/BPnotes121230.html
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: December 30, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »

There's not a track in America that closes down their meet for serious track maintenance unless horses are breaking down left and right and the jocks and/or horsemen refuse to participate. They all wait until AFTER the meet. See, for instance, Arlington that last year of dirt, or even Santa Anita the last couple times they had to resurface. AFTER the meet.

Evangeline did stop and inspect/fix theirs, but that's only after the horsemen refused to continue.

Agree with you on this one.  I believe the driving force behind closing the track is that they are actually being proactive in containing the virus---and then they call it something else.  Why not just say "The track will be closed in a maintenance effort, as well as to assist in containing the virus"?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:00:04 PM by dano-themano » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: December 30, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »

Agree with you on this one.  I believe the driving force behind closing the track is that they are actually being proactive in containing the virus---and then they call it something else.  Why not just say "The track will be closed in a maintenance effort, as well as to assist in containing the virus"?

It's certainly a legitimate suspicion that the real reason they're closing the track is to contain the outbreak. But it's just dumb to suggest they should have stopped the meet earlier to fix the track when there haven't been major problems. I for one find it hard to believe Hawthorne would spend money on the track if they don't need to, but who knows.

And if they really do close the track and pull up the surface, there's no training track, so keeping them in the barn for the duration is pretty much the only choice. The "if we can suddenly keep our horses in the barn for 2 weeks, without fear of them injuring themselves, as the state vet previously stated was a big concern for her ... is it no longer a concern ?" sarcastic comment also goes out the window.

dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: December 30, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »

If anyone is able to obtain accurate info on whether the clock is being reset, please post.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »

The last update was as follows but there's been nothing regarding the most recent Rainwater positive reported by Fast n Firm.

http://itharacing.com/weeklywhinnies/detail/detaillist/Mjc4

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »

So once again protocol is changed  head shake and we all have to wonder just why this virus has been so hard to eradicate  censor
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »

So once again protocol is changed

What "protocol" changed? The meet is over, there's no more racing, and they said they're going to close the track for maintenance for two weeks, so horses have to stay in the barn area.

Does "horsemen are asked to walk their horses only, no shedrowing in the barns while keeping barn doors open" constitute a major change of non-racing backside protocol?

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: December 30, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »

Sporthorse,
Apparently, it's less likely to spread the virus during a live meet.  Keeping the doors open that is....
We haven't been asked to keep the doors open at all....even though the same amount of horses are in the same barns on a daily basis, racing or not.  This would have been a nice suggestion during the 50's and 60's temps.  But during the 20's, not so much.
Having difficulty understanding why they do not want shed rowing.  Seems like it would be better to keep the horses moving a little....you know...so that they do not hurt themselves.  I do believe that we can shed row if we want, but they would prefer that we don't.  Sort of like the "suggestions" they've made these past 3 months. 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: December 30, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »

Having difficulty understanding why they do not want shed rowing.  Seems like it would be better to keep the horses moving a little....you know...so that they do not hurt themselves. 

The announcement said you could walk them.

brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: December 30, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »

I don't mean to sound stupid here but what is the difference between shed rowing and walking? Thanks...I'll hang up and listen
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: December 30, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

I don't mean to sound stupid here but what is the difference between shed rowing and walking? Thanks...I'll hang up and listen

The times I've heard it used "shedrowing" is the practice of training lightly in the barn, or as Equiforce put it in the other thread, "jig-jogging" them. More exertion, more blowing and snorting and snotting, etc. than walking. Used to see it sometimes in some of the barns at Sportsman's when it was 20 below and the wind howling.

brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: December 30, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

The times I've heard it used "shedrowing" is the practice of training lightly in the barn, or as Equiforce put it in the other thread, "jig-jogging" them. More exertion, more blowing and snorting and snotting, etc. than walking. Used to see it sometimes in some of the barns at Sportsman's when it was 20 below and the wind howling.

Thanks Terry. That makes sense.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: December 30, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »

Others may have a different definition, though.

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: December 30, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »

The protocol Im referring to is the change of the clock...First it was any horse showing neurological signs and then it was ANY positives would change the clock. So Im to understand the Rainwater positive which was discovered just a couple days ago does nothing to change the date of the quarantine lift. Make note of FP new policy on the lift of the quarantine....talk about a disaster waiting to happen  doh
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: December 30, 2012, 06:08:36 PM »

The protocol Im referring to is the change of the clock...First it was any horse showing neurological signs and then it was ANY positives would change the clock. So Im to understand the Rainwater positive which was discovered just a couple days ago does nothing to change the date of the quarantine lift. Make note of FP new policy on the lift of the quarantine....talk about a disaster waiting to happen  doh

I haven't heard or read anything official at all about the Rainwater horse, one way or another, much less what it does or doesn't to the clock. Where did you read it, or hear it?   

Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »

I was told by a backside source that the new date is now the 20th or 21st. When I heard it I was so upset I did not catch the exact day.  Bottom line we have frozen horses in stalls for the next two weeks and no opportunity to run elsewhere or ship out for rest.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: December 30, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »

Chartwell, they just haven't made the Rainwater horse public yet for some reason.  It might be because Jim is leaving and they haven't replaced him yet, hence no one to post. I'm not really sure why it hasn't been updated, so of course, that is not only a guess, but the benefit of the doubt.
If you've noticed, during this virus, they have been a little Tardy in reporting the positives, so it might just be a case of "they haven't gotten around to it yet".
I'm sure they will reset the clock.

We had a pretty crappy end to the meet, which has pretty much DEFINED the Hawthorne meet this fall....and that sucks, but you know as well as I do, we WILL get through this...
We will find some time during the next few months to get our horses to the farm for a few days of R&R. 
I'm right across the street (and down 2 houses) from L & H and have a paddock.  Between the two of us....we can make it happen...
I'm so sick of the bad Kharma and negativity (that I need to let go of myself) with this whole situation, that I am ready to look FORWARD only.   I hope we are all able to.  Arlington is opening in a little over 4 months....lets keep our heads up and plan a HUGE barn party !
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: December 30, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »

I do know the date has been reset since we had to cancel our plans to leave.  Everyone on the backside has suffered and there is absolutely no excuse for prompt accurate information not  to be given to the horsemen.  How many thousands of dollars of horses are locked up on the backside.  Once again where the hell is the ITHA? If what you say about Hawthorne is right because Jim is no longer there they should have someone in place to let people know what's going on.
If I ran my business and treated my customers like this I would be out of business.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: December 30, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »

I was told by a backside source that the new date is now the 20th or 21st. When I heard it I was so upset I did not catch the exact day.  Bottom line we have frozen horses in stalls for the next two weeks and no opportunity to run elsewhere or ship out for rest.

Thanks for the update.

At least it would indicate the protocol didn't change.

Fast n Firm

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: December 30, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »

I do know the date has been reset since we had to cancel our plans to leave.  Everyone on the backside has suffered and there is absolutely no excuse for prompt accurate information not  to be given to the horsemen.  How many thousands of dollars of horses are locked up on the backside.  Once again where the hell is the ITHA? If what you say about Hawthorne is right because Jim is no longer there they should have someone in place to let people know what's going on.
If I ran my business and treated my customers like this I would be out of business.

Chartwell, unfortunately you are right on ALL counts.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: December 30, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »

Once again where the hell is the ITHA?

They have been our champion, our advocate... Holding the feet of the tyrannical track owners who are only interested in their bottom line to the fire to get what is best for the horsemen, going from barn to barn to hear first hand what the situation was and finding out what could be done to help... Oh wait...

In the ITHA's defense, they did have an election they had to win, and another slots bill to get vetoed or blocked. Plus they have to prepare for the summer when they have to fight AP and Tony P over every little thing they can.  So they have been busy with things that were much more important than a little animal virus.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: