Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 08:22:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarantine information thread  (Read 23155 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »

Perception is realty for most, and it appears to be the perception of most of the people posting here on grounds that there does not appear to be a concentrated effort with forced compliance in place.  While it is my responsibility to do everything possible to ensure the health of my horses, it is all for naught if the other horses mine come in contact with are not.

It's my perception that the majority of horsemen must not want forced compliance. Unlike some others, I don't believe the horsemen on that backside are a bunch of cowards afraid to stand up for what they believe. We saw that early in the summer when they stood up to Arlington. If they truly want something they collectively can force action. 
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »

It's my perception that the majority of horsemen must not want forced compliance. Unlike some others, I don't believe the horsemen on that backside are a bunch of cowards afraid to stand up for what they believe. We saw that early in the summer when they stood up to Arlington. If they truly want something they collectively can force action. 

My children did not want forced compliance either.  We were successful this summer with AP because of the strong leadership of the ITHA.  Sometimes it is both worth it and possible to herd cats.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »

My children did not want forced compliance either.

And horsemen are not children.

We were successful this summer with AP because of the strong leadership of the ITHA.  Sometimes it is both worth it and possible to herd cats.

Have you contacted the ITHA to find out why they're not behind forced compliance of the rules you feel should be in place? The State vet or Haw, for any more than they already are? (If people are getting fines for trying to sneak horses around, there must already be some sort of forced compliance in place.)

I'm all for forced compliance for the bio-security rules, and have said so. Mandatory guidelines, fines to back them up, and "many eyes" to report those who do not follow the guidelines. But if they're not in place there must be a reason that makes sense to someone else. The answer to all things we don't understand is not as simple as, "Everyone is stupid but me."

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 04:22:22 PM »

Quarantine

quar·an·tine  [kwawr-uh n-teen, kwor-, kwawr-uh n-teen, kwor-]  noun, verb, quar·an·tined, quar·an·tin·ing.  noun

a strict isolation imposed to prevent the spread of disease.

If everyone else thinks introducing new horses into a quarentined population is acceptable, then everyone is stupid but me.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

Quarantine

quar·an·tine  [kwawr-uh n-teen, kwor-, kwawr-uh n-teen, kwor-]  noun, verb, quar·an·tined, quar·an·tin·ing.  noun

a strict isolation imposed to prevent the spread of disease.

If everyone else thinks introducing new horses into a quarentined population is acceptable, then everyone is stupid but me.

We went over that a long time ago, and there's also quite an accepted usage of the word to mean not spread it off the premises, including in the AAEP guidelines. I agree with you it doesn't seem to make sense, but it makes sense to someone, and it should also make sense to ask them and find out the "why" of it.

We've spent weeks here fussing and fighting and claiming everyone else is stupid while inventing from the blue motivations for why others do what they do, dissing everyone at Hawthorne and the State and the ITHA and calling them incompetent and liars, dumping shit on fellow horsemen sometimes by name and calling them cowards or "not real horsemen", and we're nowhere closer to any real answers as to "why" these decisions have been made the way they were.

Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »

A member of the Midwest thoroughbred organization told me that the pony horse died at a clinic in late summer from pneumonia complications
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »

Terry, forget about who is at fault, just your opinion, do you think that introducing new horses into a quarantined population is an acceptable action if the goal is to both contain and let the virus run its course so everyone can get on with their lives?

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »

Terry, forget about who is at fault, just your opinion, do you think that introducing new horses into a quarantined population is an acceptable action if the goal is to both contain and let the virus run its course so everyone can get on with their lives?

I think it's probably not a great practice, but as for acceptable or not, I don't make the decisions and have no idea why the people who do have made the one they have on that issue.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »

A member of the Midwest thoroughbred organization told me that the pony horse died at a clinic in late summer from pneumonia complications

Thanks for the info Cory.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »

I think it's probably not a great practice, but as for acceptable or not, I don't make the decisions and have no idea why the people who do have made the one they have on that issue.

I think it is stupid and sends the message that racing is more important than the horses and/or the horsemen stuck at Hawthorne, regardless of their thought process.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »

I think it is stupid and sends the message that racing is more important than the horses and/or the horsemen stuck at Hawthorne, regardless of their thought process.

I agree with this. Except that I think it reflects more on the trainers who choose to ship in under these conditions than it says about the track itself.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »

The State vet is ultimately responsible. You could try asking her.
Glad u modified your post to her wouldn't want you to look ignorant and not truly knowing it is a female and not a male vet.
Which obvious I caught your mistake.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »

Well, like I said the other day about a 55 mph speed limit and saving lives, every decision made is a tradeoff between competing interests.

And I'll also repeat, if the horsemen at the track think it's the thing to do to end racing until this is over, they could effect that tomorrow by simply keeping their horses in the barn. They could probably also end the practice of shipping in if a group of the main trainers and owners, the long time Illinois leaders, went to management and the State vet and said, "Look this has got to stop."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:17:03 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 05:26:06 PM »

Well, like I said the other day about a 55 mph speed limit and saving lives, every decision made is a tradeoff between competing interests.

And I'll also repeat, if the horsemen at the track think it's the thing to do to end racing until this is over, they could effect that tomorrow by simply keeping their horses in the barn. They could probably also end the practice of shipping in if a group of the main trainers and owners, the long time Illinois leaders, went to management and the State vet and said, "Look this has got to stop."

There is no reason now to stop training or racing. There is every reason to not allow any more horses in.  Many owners and trainers look at horses as $$$ and would ship them to a shark tank if they thought they could get a check.  Hawthorne, the ITHA, and the state do not have to enable bad behavior.  A simple act could send a strong message.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »

Stupidest quarintine I've ever heard of!
There's plenty of flaws and breakdowns in the entire handling of this at every end but geez why keep making more?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »

I think that is called the ITHA
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »

There is no reason now to stop training or racing. There is every reason to not allow any more horses in.  Many owners and trainers look at horses as $$$ and would ship them to a shark tank if they thought they could get a check.  Hawthorne, the ITHA, and the state do not have to enable bad behavior.  A simple act could send a strong message.

I think if your message is going to have an effect on anyone it would probably be more effective if delivered in person, with backup from leading horsemen, to the State Vet or Jim Miller or ITHA leadership or the IL Ag Dept or someone along those lines than to me.  

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »

I think that is called the ITHA

And since they haven't they must have their reasons. Have you inquired as to why or why not?

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »

I think if your message is going to have an effect on anyone it would probably be more effective if delivered in person, with backup from leading horsemen, to the State Vet or Jim Miller or ITHA leadership or the IL Ag Dept or someone along those lines than to me.  

They (or their people) are reading this.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »

And since they haven't they must have their reasons. Have you inquired as to why or why not?

I have not inquired, but there can only be 3 reasons the ITHA isn't fighting horses shipping in:

1. They are incompetent.

2.  They are in bed with Hawthorne.

3.  They don't care about their members or their horses.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »

I have not inquired, but there can only be 3 reasons the ITHA isn't fighting horses shipping in:

1. They are incompetent.

2.  They are in bed with Hawthorne.

3.  They don't care about their members or their horses.

Correction: Those are the three reasons you can imagine.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »

They (or their people) are reading this.

And so far the results of them reading this have been ... ?

Realistically, how many horsemen and owners are involved with racing at Hawthorne? And how many have spoken up here? (I mean numbers of individuals, not total posts.) You need to get more actual people involved, in person.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:47:02 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »

Correction: Those are the three reasons you can imagine.

lol. If anything you are persistently consistent.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »

And so far the results of them reading this have been ... ?

Roughly the same as my 31 years of telling my wife what to do.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »

Realistically, how many horsemen and owners are involved with racing at Hawthorne? And how many have spoken up here? (I mean numbers of individuals, not total posts.) You need to get more actual people involved, in person.

That is true.  I have naively thought that's what the ITHA would do to earn the 2% they skim from the purse account.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: