Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 30, 2014, 11:13:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarantine information thread  (Read 22579 times)
Chris Szulc

« Reply #300 on: December 27, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »

Here is the new DRF article.
http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-seventh-ehv-1-positive-horse-dies

7th horse caught by EHV-1 and I still count Coragil Cat as the 8th, indirectly related because of NOT being able to get out to get to a clinic for colic.
Report to moderator   Logged
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: December 27, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

In no way shape or form do I want the quarantine date pushed forward.  That is ridiculous.  And I "predicted" Hawthorne would have a strong spring meet, because no other track will take a Hawthorne horse. 
Questions would not be asked, if information would have been given complete and in a timely manner from the very beginning. 
Questions would not have been asked if we didn't spend this entire virus paying musical protocol. 
In one breathe they shut a man completely down for 60 days, and in another breathe you can walk past a horse in your barn, laying dead in his stall to run in the first race, that same day.
In one breathe, you cannot catch or transfer it through racing but in the next, when the horses allowed to leave were trailered and tabs put on the trailer doors and if those tabs were broken, the horses were to be turned around. (For fear of contamination)
Conflicting feelings ?  Yes, I have conflicting feelings ? 
Am I conflicted about whether ginger would have lived, had they not required a neurological horse to attempt to walk 350 yards to quarantine ? YES, very conflicted.  Because our filly DID NOT die of the virus.  She died because she couldn't walk the distance the STATE vet said she had to walk and fell on the concrete, BASHING her head repeatedly.  MY HUSBAND had to help hold this filly down while they euthanized her, to keep her from further bashing her skull in, in attempt to get up.  Would she have lived, like Steve's filly, had an organised, common sense decision been made to either transport her with the horse ambulance or keep her in her stall ?
Do you really want to touch on "conflicting" feelings here.
This whole thing has been a travesty and I go to bed at night with conflicting feelings. 

honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:14 PM »

Am I conflicted about whether ginger would have lived, had they not required a neurological horse to attempt to walk 350 yards to quarantine ? YES, very conflicted.  Because our filly DID NOT die of the virus. 
Would she have lived, like Steve's filly, had an organised, common sense decision been made to either transport her with the horse ambulance or keep her in her stall ?

It's only a guess. Several other horses have died without falling down. And at the time the AAEP protocols were in force, which ruled out keeping her in her stall to infect nearby horses.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: December 27, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »

It's only a guess. Several other horses have died without falling down. And at the time the AAEP protocols were in force, which ruled out keeping her in her stall to infect nearby horses.

Why not just let her vent? You don't have to comment on or challange every statement Equiforce makes. She detailed her experience as it happened. DeVito WAS the only barn that was shut down. Her horse probably was compromised because she was forced to walk. 

The over ridding theme of her posts has been that it appears they are changing procedure as they go.  It appears from anyone who has kept track from the beginning, they have.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »

Why not just let her vent?

200 times of the exact same thing was enough. We got it.

You don't have to comment on or challange every statement Equiforce makes.

That was me venting.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: December 27, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

That was me venting.

Be a gentleman and let her have the last vent.  Wink
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: December 27, 2012, 04:57:30 PM »

Be a gentleman and let her have the last vent.  Wink

Please.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: December 27, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »

Every horse has fallen, unable to get up and was put down or died.  That's how many.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: December 27, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »

Please.

I'll tell Pam and Fuzzy if you don't.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: December 27, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »

Every horse has fallen, unable to get up and was put down or died.  That's how many.

Roll Eyes Ultimately, yes. It's what happens when the virus gets them.

But you said the virus didn't get your horse. Walking is what you were talking about.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: December 27, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »

I'll tell Pam and Fuzzy if you don't.

Oh no. A blizzard of "This user is currently ignored." posts to skim past.

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: December 27, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »

IMO   They had better extend the quarantine if they want to have a spring meet, No one in their right mind would want to ship up there after seeing how poorly this has been handled   doh
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »

I have a very rd time with the argument that Hawthorne won't get horses once everyone am get out of jail. I get that people are mad and I think some people, such as Equiforce really might not come back. But it will be very few. There are too many Illinois breds that need to race in the state bred races or get the state bred added purses in order to be competitive. The almighty dollar will trump all, when it comes down to it.

Not to mention Chicago is one of the few places in the country where a trainer can actually live in the same place year round and make a living. Sorry, but saying Hawthorne will lose a significant amount of horses is wishful thinking...in my opinion, of course.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: December 27, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »

I think short term, people will scatter.  Next year will probably go back to "normal" , but when they can, this yr...they will go.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: December 27, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »

I have a very rd time with the argument that Hawthorne won't get horses once everyone am get out of jail. I get that people are mad and I think some people, such as Equiforce really might not come back. But it will be very few. There are too many Illinois breds that need to race in the state bred races or get the state bred added purses in order to be competitive. The almighty dollar will trump all, when it comes down to it.

Not to mention Chicago is one of the few places in the country where a trainer can actually live in the same place year round and make a living. Sorry, but saying Hawthorne will lose a significant amount of horses is wishful thinking...in my opinion, of course.

One would sure think so...especially with the good purses.  BUT, Hawthorne has paid us expense money to ship in for the past couple years in the winter/spring due to short fields.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: December 27, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »

The Spring meet seems to be pretty much Illinois resident trainers anyhow. The test would come for next Fall's meet. IMHO.

SIXRULER

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: December 27, 2012, 11:13:21 PM »

Question why the new attention given to the Jan. 10th hypothetical lift date ? Hasen't the date always been after the 28 day period without a new positive been the directive.This date has consistently changed why talk dates instead of directives especially when racing at Hawthorne is stopped for Jan/mid Feb. and other tracks will not accept horses at the moment ? It just looks self serving like they think they fixed it with only a chance of extention in my opinion.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: December 27, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »

Question why the new attention given to the Jan. 10th hypothetical lift date ?

Because some people want to get their horses out of there. They don't necessarily have to go to another racetrack.

SIXRULER

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: December 27, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »

Understood but they can leave if they are not positive and go through the proper procedure. If I understand this correctly as a couple other trainers have.Also they are still waiting for other results that they are aware of that may change the dates.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: December 27, 2012, 11:24:09 PM »

Understood but they can leave if they are not positive and go through the proper procedure. If I understand this correctly as a couple other trainers have.Also they are still waiting for other results that they are aware of that may change the dates.

The ones leaving now have special quarantine facilities to send their horses to, where they will still be in quarantine. Not everyone has access to such a facility.

SIXRULER

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: December 27, 2012, 11:26:25 PM »

I get that but if you don't have means for that and other tracks won't let you in where will you go ?
SIXRULER

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: December 27, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »

I think I just answered my own question .Nowhere but thats the reason the date dosen't mean anything .
sparky

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: December 28, 2012, 08:09:41 AM »

If I'm correct, Stidhams horses were only tested so they could vacate.  That is when the positives were noted.  But when the quarantine is lifted, everyone is free to leave...Had the quarantine been lifted already these horses would have fallen under the radar.  Allowed to leave without being tested and symptoms would have appeared when they were at a new facility.
When the flood gates open, I intend to put up farm gates to block our shedrow from any outside traffic.  Maybe I'm being paranoid, as I've been told.  Our horses will still train with the regular population but that will be the extent of outside contact.  Our help/gallop guys/grooms all work solely for us. And yes, we have gone through the proper channels ( management ) for approval...
While we base at Fairmount, there are numerous horses that will be coming in from Hawthorne. I would rather be paranoid and my horses safe, we have 9 coming 2 year olds, than wishfully thinking later. 
Does anyone agree with me or am I really just being paranoid? 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »

I get that but if you don't have means for that and other tracks won't let you in where will you go ?

To private farms and training facilities.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: December 28, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »

If I'm correct, Stidhams horses were only tested so they could vacate.  That is when the positives were noted.  But when the quarantine is lifted, everyone is free to leave...Had the quarantine been lifted already these horses would have fallen under the radar. Allowed to leave without being tested and symptoms would have appeared when they were at a new facility.

I think this is why they insist on the 28 days without new symptoms, because that covers the incubation period for any horses that might have been exposed.

Does anyone agree with me or am I really just being paranoid?

I couldn't blame any horseman or track for being worried about horses that have been at Hawthorne. It doesn't seem like the horsemen have been real good about immediately reporting symptoms.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: