Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 12:51:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Is Your Favorite Chicago Trainer Named Paraskevas?  (Read 1536 times)
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »

I think that's an early scene in the first Natuional Lampoon "Vacation" movie... Chevy drives Beverly D'Angelo and his kids in there by mistake.  Cheesy

YES EXACTLY!!!!!
I will say this, although not the nicest part of town, I loved going to Fairmount Park Racetrack, especially for the Saturday night races. Met tons of really nice people and horseman while I was there. I hope to do it again someday. beer beer
Report to moderator   Logged
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »

I used to LOVE the simulcasts when they had harness... what an amazing place.  Fractions would go 29, 31, 30... and 26:4.  Once saw old Simcoe Hanover racing against one of his own sons in some race there.  But the lighting was terrible and the head-on stretch shot was a shrugger, you couldn't see shit.  Ted Simmons' brother seemed to win all the conditioned races. 
thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

LOL Fairmount is actually in Collinsville IL. which is kinda like Northbrook or some other such rich part of Chicago compared to East  Saint Louis proper. I love going to Fairmount, everything about it! It's dirty, grimy, rough around the edges. You gotta hang out on the grandstand side, outside, along the rail. Screw the "stuffy" clubhouse side. There is an outdoor beer vendor right when you go in the gates along side of the clubhouse who has an amazing set of "eyes" LOL. Her Dr. is like Michelangelo!!! On a hot day the line is so long at her stand you almost have to just get your beer and then go back to the end of the line and start over!! Whatever they cost, they have paid for themselves a thousand time over.   beer
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:50:23 AM by thoroughbred » Report to moderator   Logged
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »

How far is Fairmount?  I'm in NY, and for years, I swear, I thought it was in Missouri when it was a harness track.

Fairmount is 9 miles from downtown St Louis, in Collinsville Illinos. It's very close to east st Louis which is also in Illinois and yea, it is the worst place in America to get stuck. Fairmount has been a much better track for the animals since they got rid of harness. Horses used to break down all the time when the harness surface was under the dirt. Plus now they allow trainers to keep tbreds there year round. It's not much to look at...but it's my home track ad I love it.

Oh...and thoroughbred gave a very accurate summary of the "atmosphere".
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »

LOL, I grew up blocks from Yonkers Raceway, so I know "seedy"... spent many many hours on the backstretch there.  WHOOOEEEE.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »

As long as there's no Paratyphoid Fever around, you're ahead of the game. Have a Camagin and Tonic.  And don't be a Cyberphobe, keep the posts coming.  Wink

Tried entering Camagin for Thursday but we didn't have a Nikaluk in getting the race to fill.

(how did I do?)
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »

LOL, I didn't even know that one.

Word is that Paraskevas Yanez is afraid you may claim another one of his horses. Smiley
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

LOL, I didn't even know that one.

Word is that Paraskevas Yanez is afraid you may claim another one of his horses. Smiley

Haha! I almost did but the virus has me scared to claim anything. Waiting for the spring. Then look out Paraskevas Yanez, Paraskeves Reavis, and all the Paraskeves's... Or is it paraskevi?
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »

LOL... my family had a Greek waitress tonight; I should've asked her.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »

LOL... my family had a Greek waitress tonight; I should've asked her.

Nothing says greek like the last name Mitchell. In fact on Full house uncle Jesse should have been Jesse Mitchell instead of Kotsopolous.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 12:06:35 AM »

Yeah, that Olympia Mitchell was terrific in Moonstruck, never mind that her cousin Mike Mitchell only carried Berkeley and Brookline in the '88 election. Wink
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 02:33:19 AM »

Yeah, that Olympia Mitchell was terrific in Moonstruck, never mind that her cousin Mike Mitchell only carried Berkeley and Brookline in the '88 election. Wink

I'm not sure how funny this will be tomorrow but after a night of boozing its hilarious!
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »

It's painful to me... my wife loves that movie, and I've had to suffer through it about 7 times.  Paraskevas Gardenia was good in it, though.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: