Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 12:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are jockeys always in such a hurry to stand up?  (Read 1499 times)
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »

Is it that difficult to ride a stride or two PAST the wire? I see so many photos where jockeys have lost by inches and they are already finished riding, I personally want to thank Pedro Cotto for his ride on Claiming Crown day on Pot of Gold (Race 4 Saturday) as he let me win the race with Borel but I feel sick for the connections (but maybe they will think about hiring a real jockey next time they get to race for 100k). These guys should face major suspensions for stuff like this so maybe they will learn that there are real people betting real money on them (Well over 1,000,000 was bet on this race alone). I heard so many people blabbing that he let Borel win (which is ridiculous) but perception is everything and the perception is the game is crooked and rides like this do nothing to help the cause.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:05:38 AM by HarnessFanDE » Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »

Is it that difficult to ride a stride or two PAST the wire? I see so many photos where jockeys have lost by inches and they are already finished riding, I personally want to thank Pedro Cotto for his ride on Claiming Crown day on Pot of Gold (Race 4 Saturday) as he let me win the race with Borel but I feel sick for the connections (but maybe they will think about hiring a real jockey next time they get to race for 100k). These guys should face major suspensions for stuff like this so maybe they will learn that there are real people betting real money on them (Well over 1,000,000 was bet on this race alone). I heard so many people blabbing that he let Borel win (which is ridiculous) but perception is everything and the perception is the game is crooked and rides like this do nothing to help the cause.

Let me say I did not see the race and I am NOT making excuses for Jocks in general, but just stating a point.
It is just a known fact that Jocks run out of gas towards the end of races.
Watch any interview immediately after a race, the jockeys can barely speak. I am not a Mike Smith fan but he comes to mind as a jock in terrific shape and even HE cant speak after a race. I've lost many a race when jocks either mistake the finish line or just stop riding, so I feel the pain of others.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »

Looked like he misjudged the wire to me. He thought it was the pole before and actually tried to get back down but it was too late. He definately cost his horse the win as you said.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »

While maybe 1x or 2x a jockey misjudging a finish line is too much. I have learned to appreciate jockeys more on the major circuits after what happened to me 1 day at Fort Erie (Ontario/Buffalo Border).

I key a horse in a turf race in pick 3's and pick 4's. I am alive and automatic winner if he wins. I was going to take down the entire pool in each pick.
I love the angles on the horse, he fits perfect in the race. The race is a 1 1/16 Turf race with 10 low level horses with NO front end speed in the race. The horse I come up with has never been on Turf, but shows speed in 4 6F races, and he also drops in class, facing much weaker. It was one of those horses where if you have "rules and angles", this horse had all of mine--and I loved him. He had a younger jockey who was in the top 15 as I remember but he was not in the top 10 or so in that jockey colony, but you would still think he is competent. So in a 1 1/16 turf race they start on backstretch and pass the finish line, and go around again to equal 1 1/16. So as I expected, he gets the lead in 2 steps, opens up 5 on the backstretch, and as he approaches finish line (for 1st time) he is up 10 lengths, he stands up and waves his whip like he won the breeders cup turf classic. By the time he realizes he must go around again, he was surrounded by like 5-6 horses, and when he sees this he starts riding like an apache and gains the lead back only to lose at the end by a 1/2 length. I dont get emotional win/lose at the track, but I just said to myself, when I get back home and bet my NYRA tracks, as bad as a jock can be, They will NEVER be as bad as that!
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:43:47 AM »

Let me say I did not see the race and I am NOT making excuses for Jocks in general, but just stating a point.
It is just a known fact that Jocks run out of gas towards the end of races.
Watch any interview immediately after a race, the jockeys can barely speak. I am not a Mike Smith fan but he comes to mind as a jock in terrific shape and even HE cant speak after a race. I've lost many a race when jocks either mistake the finish line or just stop riding, so I feel the pain of others.

Im sure they are, especially when they ride 8 or 9 in a day, but this guy had one mount. It was a case of misjudging the wire, but Im not sure how that happens, especially for 100k with one mount. There is a jockey that rides around here (Trevor McCarthy) who's father was a brilliant rider in these parts despite being about 5'10" and Trevor is also very tall, after many race he has been so cramped that he cant get back to the jocks room and sometimes just lays on the ground and screams, which the track obviously doesnt want him to be doing. He is still in high school and I think just lost his 10 lb bug so things might get a bit easier for him but not much, I understand the scale of weights is brutal but this was just a bonehead mistake and the guy should be severely punished for it because it should NEVER happen.

SHOWTIME!!!
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »

I believe Shoemaker cost Gallant Man the derby by misjudging the wire so it happens to the best of them.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »

I believe Shoemaker cost Gallant Man the derby by misjudging the wire so it happens to the best of them.

In my story he misjudged more than 1/2 of the race laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »

I am told the pressure on the knees is really great.  Standing up as soon as they can relieves some of that pressure right away.
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

You feel it. It is not like riding Daisy in a western saddle at the horse back riding farm.
Epsom Derby

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »

I think it's akin to what ever you do for a living. Boys have that wire down to a science (especially at a home course). They know when they hit that wire, whether 3 meters from the fence, or 50 meters from it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: