Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 02:30:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handicapping Tournaments  (Read 520 times)
thearmada

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:52:41 PM »

I think I was fortunate enough today to win a seat to a NHC qualifier at Hawthorne tomorrow and Sunday. I at least think I won it based on my standing when I left.

What tips would any experienced players have to offer to a player just getting started in tournaments? Even more so, a NHC qualifying tournament.

Thanks!
Report to moderator   Logged
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:48:29 PM »

Pick 3 or 4 horses you like on the card and bet them if they are not short prices. In races you don't have a strong opinion on-bet big prices. If a 30 or 40-1 shot wins, there will be several people on it so you have a real hard time of placing after that if you aren't one of them. If you can hit a big number early, you are more likely to have less winners on it as desperation hasn't set in yet. This is if the payoffs aren't capped, which I don't think they are?

Be aggressive! A lot of people play two or three entries and nothing but bombs with one of their entries. Hopefully the prices stay 15-1 and under and give everyone a chance. Good luck!!
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »

The rules of each tournament are different.  If its one of those tournaments where there is unlimited wagering, you can win by playing favorites.  If you are limited, never even look at a horse less than 7-2, and you'll probably need more than two 10-1 winners to win the tournament.
thearmada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »

Pal B, your strategy gave me my best winners. I used Thorograph for the first time this weekend to help my find those horses in addition to my basic pen and paper handicapping. Win betting gave me the best results. To say the least, I was EXTREMELY impressed with Thorograph. I only used the products they sell on Equibase, form and race shapes. I didn't want to buy their standard products before seeing how the basic ones worked out. Using it really helped my winning this weekend. I know other users on here are satisfied with it, I think I will become a regular user of it. Picked a nice 6-1 horse on the Sunday card at HAW (R6).

It was a free reign betting style. The winners looked to have some large exotics hit.
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »

Pal B, your strategy gave me my best winners. I used Thorograph for the first time this weekend to help my find those horses in addition to my basic pen and paper handicapping. Win betting gave me the best results. To say the least, I was EXTREMELY impressed with Thorograph. I only used the products they sell on Equibase, form and race shapes. I didn't want to buy their standard products before seeing how the basic ones worked out. Using it really helped my winning this weekend. I know other users on here are satisfied with it, I think I will become a regular user of it. Picked a nice 6-1 horse on the Sunday card at HAW (R6).

It was a free reign betting style. The winners looked to have some large exotics hit.
Sounds like you had a good time. I will check out Thorograph again. I have been using the form and my own figs for a long time, but hard to keep up. Finding tournaments that fit your style is really important. I like the ones that let you play exotics more than the win/place tourneys. The G1 Gamble at Keeneland is my favorite. It cost $3000 but $2000 is your bankroll and have to bet $250 per race. You can play tri's, exactas, wps and you have to bet 50% of your balance on the last race. $20,000 won the day I played, but he got dq-ed for not playing half his bankroll. Cost him $16,000 and a trip to Vegas.

thearmada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »

Sounds like you had a good time. I will check out Thorograph again. I have been using the form and my own figs for a long time, but hard to keep up. Finding tournaments that fit your style is really important. I like the ones that let you play exotics more than the win/place tourneys. The G1 Gamble at Keeneland is my favorite. It cost $3000 but $2000 is your bankroll and have to bet $250 per race. You can play tri's, exactas, wps and you have to bet 50% of your balance on the last race. $20,000 won the day I played, but he got dq-ed for not playing half his bankroll. Cost him $16,000 and a trip to Vegas.

Very interesting. Down the road I will need to look into that. I will have to learn if I like the tournaments that allow exotics.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

A lot of tournaments have went to WPS betting only but with a live bankroll, so they can get all that handle. There used to be a lot of $2WP mythical tournies like the NTRA is run but tracks have found they obviously make way more money with the live bankroll. The general rule of thumb for the $2WP mythical tournies is that in the mandatory races you take who you think is going to win and in the races you pick to play you never take anyone less than 8-1.....Of course if a bomb lands early those tournies are a joke because all handicapping goes out the window

SHOWTIME!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: