Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 01, 2014, 01:16:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange Wagering  (Read 593 times)
pamwaggy

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2012, 11:41:43 PM »

I hope I won't be thought of as heartless by bringing up another topic.  I very much care about the health of all the horses at Hawthorne right now.

I have been reading and reading about exchange wagering.  Can it really make more cheaters come out?   Can it ruin California racing?  It seems really wrong to me.

I read where some California trainers/owners who are cheaters would make more money if their horses would lose.  Help!

Does anyone think these are true facts?
Report to moderator   Logged
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »

A horse can lose a race for a thousand different reasons.   By allowing people to bet a specific horse to lose it dramatically increases the reasons to cause a horse not to run its best race.  I am almost certain there are trainers all across the country that would stiff a sure thing for dramatic financial gain.. 
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »

Honestly it's hard to say. I think it would increase tank jobs but others don't.

One thing is for sure, and that's most of us here don't know enough about this type of wagering and odds making to make out well (legitimately), so keep your money in your pocket or the mutuel pools. Leave the exchange wagering to those who think they're sharpies, and let the cheaters fleece them.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »

Now wait a minute!
I watched this last night and enjoyed listening to the guys explain it.
I actually think this will take off and younger gamblers and fans this will have lot of attraction to gamblers who understand odds at point in races.

Reminds Of taking the odds playing dice.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »

WT.............F!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peqhQs8aM7I
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »

I agree Ed I wish they had showed how the odds change during the race also and not percentage.
I think it is so hard for us to understand cause off how we bmet here .
But if we remember the bc a few years back on say Zenyatta and her running style I think most would have made a lot more money on her .
I personally do want to try this wagering !
Funny I can't spell but I luv math!

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Epsom Derby

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »

I've stated this before on the topic, but will state again, more money is wagered on European football (soccer) through exchanges in one weekend, than will be wagered in an entire year through any US based horse racing exchange.

European football has a very, very low rate of match fixing. Especially considering the volume of money wagered.

brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »

I've stated this before on the topic, but will state again, more money is wagered on European football (soccer) through exchanges in one weekend, than will be wagered in an entire year through any US based horse racing exchange.

European football has a very, very low rate of match fixing. Especially considering the volume of money wagered.

The clear difference Here is that in soccer you have 11 players on the field that have to be in on the fix. In a race all you need is a trainer to over feed a horse or give it a quick injection and they can cash in by selling against their 4/5 shot and nobody is the wiser.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »

The bottom line for a crook is:

Do you think its easier to win a race than to lose one? That answer should be pretty obvious

SHOWTIME!!!
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:34:08 AM »

The bottom line for a crook is:

Do you think its easier to win a race than to lose one? That answer should be pretty obvious

Ya. I hear the TVG guys talking all the time about how great exchange wagering would be. There are too many ways that horsemen would be able to game the system. I don't like it at all.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »

Ya. I hear the TVG guys talking all the time about how great exchange wagering would be. There are too many ways that horsemen would be able to game the system. I don't like it at all.

I think it might have its merits if I didnt like a horse and wanted to lay him/her......I would never ever take an overlaid price that looks too good......because most likely it is......I would never venture in on the "take" side of things

SHOWTIME!!!
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »

I think it might have its merits if I didnt like a horse and wanted to lay him/her......I would never ever take an overlaid price that looks too good......because most likely it is......I would never venture in on the "take" side of things

Yes, it MIGHT have its merits in that case. However, if a trainer "throws" a race in order to profit by selling his 4/5 shot, it also affects the regular parimutuel wagering as well. In addition it could affect owners purse money. Too many temptations here. I don't like it.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »

Yes, it MIGHT have its merits in that case. However, if a trainer "throws" a race in order to profit by selling his 4/5 shot, it also affects the regular parimutuel wagering as well. In addition it could affect owners purse money. Too many temptations here. I don't like it.

I dont like it either......Im just saying that if it does come about I might venture in and lay a favorite I detest at an appealing price......Many times Ive hated the favorite but couldnt come up with the winner......But if everyone is like me there will be nobody there to take what I lay anyway....I really think its much ado about nothing since it will be a dismal failure.....No group of people in existence is more resistant to any type of change than horseplayers

SHOWTIME!!!
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »

No group of people in existence is more resistant to any type of change than horseplayers

Horsemen.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Bob B

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »

I dont like it either......Im just saying that if it does come about I might venture in and lay a favorite I detest at an appealing price......Many times Ive hated the favorite but couldnt come up with the winner......But if everyone is like me there will be nobody there to take what I lay anyway....I really think its much ado about nothing since it will be a dismal failure.....No group of people in existence is more resistant to any type of change than horseplayers

Perhaps current horseplayers shun exchange wagering, but maybe new customers are brought in that are interested in it.

As for the fixing concerns, every wager will be electronically tracked.  It will take some work to hide a fix because the connections won't be able to do it in their own exchange account.  That's not to say they couldn't have friends laying their horse on their behalf but patterns could be found with the electronic trail of every exchange wager.  I'm not naive to think the fix couldn't still take place, but I think the chances of discovering the fix will be easier with every wager attached to an electronic account rather than cash transactions through a betting window at the track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: