Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 02:47:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Churchill Downs increases dividends  (Read 724 times)
APCD Dan

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »

CD increased their dividend by 20%, uh, it is now 72 cents per share.  Plus, the new dividend will be payable in December this year, I think around Dec. 21, a little Christmas present from them. They moved it up from January out of fear Obama might tax it away next year.  Mottoman keeps getting richer and richer.
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »

CD increased their dividend by 20%, uh, it is now 72 cents per share.  Plus, the new dividend will be payable in December this year, I think around Dec. 21, a little Christmas present from them. They moved it up from January out of fear Obama might tax it away next year.  Mottoman keeps getting richer and richer.

What are you going to buy with your 72 cents?  Grin

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

Save the money it will help pay the surcharge if you want to carry in your lunch next summer at AP.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »

So their are shares in church hill downs?
I'm curious as to how long shares were sold ?
Are their other tracks that do this also?
Are they public shares?
I'm curios about this and kind of wander with the economy like it is why don't more race tracks consider this?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
TheRedMile

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 01:50:34 AM »

So their are shares in church hill downs?
I'm curious as to how long shares were sold ?
Are their other tracks that do this also?
Are they public shares?
I'm curios about this and kind of wander with the economy like it is why don't more race tracks consider this?

cdi is the holding comp for churchill
at least 7 yrs as best i can remember
yes,some that have racinos
yes,cdi is traded on the nasdaq
probably because virtually every new track built in the last 20 yrs without a racino has gone bk at least once
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »

cdi is the holding comp for churchill
at least 7 yrs as best i can remember
yes,some that have racinos
yes,cdi is traded on the nasdaq
probably because virtually every new track built in the last 20 yrs without a racino has gone bk at least once
Wasn't green bay packers or Lambo sold public at one time to have a team or a football field?
Why don't race tracks do the same?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »

Do you still get the perks of free admission to all CD tracks?   What about parking benefits or other benefits Dan?

I am doing great in the broader markets and I must work another 5 years or so before I can enjoy them benes.   So when I retire, or just beforehand, I might wait for their stock to dip and just invest enough for all the free benes.   

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

Do you still get the perks of free admission to all CD tracks?   What about parking benefits or other benefits Dan?

I am doing great in the broader markets and I must work another 5 years or so before I can enjoy them benes.   So when I retire, or just beforehand, I might wait for their stock to dip and just invest enough for all the free benes.   

Still get free admission, same parking rules as everybody else.
TheRedMile

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »

Wasn't green bay packers or Lambo sold public at one time to have a team or a football field?
Why don't race tracks do the same?

yes they did
i do believe the packers are the only public owned pro franchise in america
the shares of stock cannot be resold and pay no dividends     it is a novelty item for us devout packer fans
at least twice in the last 10-12 yrs they issued more stock   one was a major one in the $100 million range as they expanded the seating added skyboxes and other amenities
i attended a game after that remodel and sat next to a guy who was on season ticket wait list for over 30 yrs and thanks to the new seats he got season tickets
he flys  in from az for the games
the nfl mandates in the neighborhood of 72,000 for all nfl stadiums
the city of green bay has about 95,000 people yet all home games have been sold out for yrs
if all racetracks without racinos built in the last 20 yrs have gone bk why would anyone buy their stock even if it was offered ?
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »

the shares of stock cannot be resold and pay no dividends     

i dont think this is stock...sounds like a gift or what it really is,,,a con

investments you cannot sell, and pay no retunr are worthless stock...see if you cxan write if off this year as a long term capital loss, as you cannot dispose of it, it has zero value to you, its worthless, as are the packers, the fans, and the city

Certified Derbytologist
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

There was an interesting article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal which mentioned Churchill, titled "Dividends: Most Likely When Management Are the Recipients". It starts out "Executives are making a big deal about being generous to shareholders when paying special dividends ahead of the year-end fiscal cliff.  But in many cases they're also being generous to themselves. Companies run by big shareholders are more likely to pay special dividends aimed at avoiding tax hikes"

"It further states, "has identified more than 20 companies including racetrack Churchill Downs Inc. CHDN +1.30% and discounter Fred's Inc. that have either accelerated their dividend payments or opted to issue special dividends in part citing tax issues."

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2012/11/27/the-inside-track-on-special-dividends/?KEYWORDS=churchill+downstab/print/
rdgamblr

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »

So their are shares in church hill downs? yeppir
I'm curious as to how long shares were sold ? listed on nasdaq april 9 1993 so almost 20 years
Are their other tracks that do this also? I used to own Magna don't ask how that turned out.
Are they public shares? YEP

jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »

The overall holding company might be 1993, but Churchill Downs the track was traded long before then. I remember looking it up in the newspaper back in the early 80s, so it was at least NASDAQ.
TheRedMile

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »

the shares of stock cannot be resold and pay no dividends     

i dont think this is stock...sounds like a gift or what it really is,,,a con

investments you cannot sell, and pay no retunr are worthless stock...see if you cxan write if off this year as a long term capital loss, as you cannot dispose of it, it has zero value to you, its worthless, as are the packers, the fans, and the city

the packers' shares of stock are of the same value to the owners of them as your post is to you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: