Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 21, 2014, 04:42:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conference Call  (Read 932 times)
Cory Patton

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »

Does anyone have the number to listen to the conference call?
Report to moderator   Logged
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:04:56 AM »

Toll-free number and passcode at:

http://itharacing.com/weeklywhinnies/detail/detaillist/MjUz
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »

I didn't hear anything new.  Seemed like a pr event.   In a general sense, virtually all the horses at Hawthorne have at least been exposed.  Most will not break out with it.  But what will happen when they all go to their next stop?  Who really knows if the virus is really contained at that time?  Very concerning.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »

I didn't hear anything new.  Seemed like a pr event.   In a general sense, virtually all the horses at Hawthorne have at least been exposed.  Most will not break out with it.  But what will happen when they all go to their next stop?  Who really knows if the virus is really contained at that time?  Very concerning.

Thanks for the recap.

Were there any good questions from the ITHA or ITHA members?

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »

Jim Miller gave a breakdown of testing, positives and negatives by barn. If current tests come back clean, many of the monitored horses will be released into the general population. Current protocols are being followed. Hygiene is important, and free supplies are available from several locations. All participants stressed that if you see anything not being followed, speak up. Talk to the vets, follow the hygiene procedures, and temperature check all horses.

There are other current outbreaks, in Minnesota, Utah, and England:
http://www.heraldextra.com/sanpete-county/news/equine-herpes-virus-confirmed-in-utah-horse/article_c0b834d1-8921-54c3-8b55-caf402244f79.html
http://www.thehorse.com/articles/30893/minnesota-ehv-1-two-horses-in-stable-condition
http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/11/17/british-racing-stable-ehv1-outbreak/#.UKqX96P0_Uk

On the question of claimed horses, they said it is a non-issue because currently racing horses are healthy, they are vet-checked at least 3 times on race day, and there have been no claimed horses who have been sick.

There is no real timetable for when the quarantine will be lifted, basically everyone needs to be negative @ 21 days after any positives. Hawthorne and ITHA will continue with updates.

Most of the other questions were about the protocols or transporting sick/healthy horses.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »

Terry, the only "change" I heard was that the Ag Dept is willing to consider the possibility of allowing horses to be removed to facilities approved by the Dept on a case-by-case basis.  The reference was specifically addressed to out-of-State facilities, which would need the approval by their own State Ag Dept, as well.

Janine, that is a good recap.  The hygiene issues have been drilled on since the outbreak began, and awareness is there.  However, when moving trucks, trailers and tack also carry the virus, hygiene alone is insufficient to stop it.  In the England outbreak, they specifically found the virus on the tires of the lorries (trucks).  I read that article in the wee hours last week and will attempt to find it to post.

My feeling is that we still have not addressed the outbreak and I have considerable concern that this will continue to spread throughout the State and beyond.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:46:07 PM by dano-themano » Report to moderator   Logged
pony

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »

If you call back like I did there is a new number with the same pass code. 1-800-585-8367 ,and use the pass code ,and you will hear it.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »

Terry, the only "change" I heard was that the Ag Dept is willing to consider the possibility of allowing horses to be removed to facilities approved by the Dept on a case-by-case basis.  The reference was specifically addressed to out-of-State facilities, which would need the approval by their own State Ag Dept, as well.

Janine, that is a good recap.  The hygiene issues have been drilled on since the outbreak began, and awareness is there.  However, when moving trucks, trailers and tack also carry the virus, hygiene alone is insufficient to stop it.  In the England outbreak, they specifically found the virus on the tires of the lorries (trucks).  I read that article in the wee hours last week and will attempt to find it to post.

My feeling is that we still have not addressed the outbreak and I have considerable concern that this will continue to spread throughout the State and beyond.

Thanku for this informed post!

Truck tires!
Why are not the trucks moving in and out and back stretch autos disinfected or are they?
I cannot stress the importants these things need to be addressed or are they?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »

My concern about the claimed horses is the incubation period for the virus.  If a horse is exposed a day or two before a race and doesn't show illness for 14 days or so shouldn't a moratorium be put on claims and to prevent people from cramming horses to win cheaper races not allow any horse to run for less than he had in the last start or so..
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:15:20 AM »

My concern about the claimed horses is the incubation period for the virus.  If a horse is exposed a day or two before a race and doesn't show illness for 14 days or so shouldn't a moratorium be put on claims and to prevent people from cramming horses to win cheaper races not allow any horse to run for less than he had in the last start or so..

Another excellent point!

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: