Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 11:55:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare Feat For Toscano Trotter?  (Read 444 times)
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »

While Chapter Seven gets most of the attention as the star trotter in the Linda Toscano barn, three-year-old trotting colt Market Share is on the verge of accomplishing something his stablemate could not, and has only been done three times in harness racing history.

Fresh off a 7-˝ length romp in which he casually shrugged off a tough trip in last week’s $235,000 American National Stake at Balmoral Park, Richard Gutnick, TLP Stables and William Augustine’s Market Share will look for a “Windy City sweep” as he takes on seven other sophomore trotting colts in Friday’s $108,000 Galt Stake.

Currently the number four-ranked horse in North America and the leading money winner in 2012 with more than $1,947,405 million in earnings for the ownership group of Richard Gutnick, T L P Stable and William Augustine, the son of Revenue S has already captured the sport’s top two events for diagonally gaited sophomores taking the $1.5 million Hambletonian and the $1 million Canadian Trotting Classic this season.

With a win in the Galt, Market Share can become the fourth trotter in the history of the sport to amass $2 million in earnings in a single season joining such greats as Muscle Hill ($2.45 million in 2009), Donato Hanover ($2.33 million, 2007) and Deweycheatumnhowe ($2.21 million, 2008).

Carefully handled by trainer Linda Toscano, Market Share was unbeaten in five starts as a two-year-old -- all over the half-mile-oval at Freehold Raceway, so he should be right at home on Maywood’s half-mile track. Even though he boasted a perfect record Toscano entered the 2012 season uncertain how the colt would fare when asked to compete on the larger tracks.

“It just goes to show you what can happen when a horse gets brave and confident,” Toscano said. “He was always a sound horse, he’s always been a good-gaited horse, and all of a sudden he figured out what to do.

“I always knew he had a great work ethic, but I still wasn’t sure he’d be able to pick it up on the mile track. Once he got a taste of it and figured out what we wanted, he’s gotten stronger and stronger. He’s a classic example of what can happen when a horse gets real brave. He’s always been a fun horse to have around the barn, and to watch what he’s been able to do, I think Timmy (Tetrick) and I are both in awe.”

After his victory in Crete last Saturday night Tetrick was singing the praises of the bay colt who is scheduled to be back on the track for a four-year-old campaign in 2013.

Read More:

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/11-15-12/rare-feat-toscano-trotter.html
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: