Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 08:35:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another sick horse  (Read 2508 times)
Equiforce

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »

Obviously the horse hasn't been confirmed by testing yet, but as of this morning a horse in barn 9 is showing the neurological symptoms of the virus.  More and more trainers are NOW finally opting not to take their horses to the track this morning. 
Report to moderator   Logged
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:25:59 AM »

Has there been an official report on the quarantine from the state?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:40:46 AM »

As I understand it, there is a meeting at 10am.....AFTER TRAINING HOURS.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »

My question is how management or the ag department can continue the meet without being concerned with the legal liability from what ensues.... I would not want to be responsible one or a barn of stakes horses being put down---obviously because I care about the horses and the people, but just as much because of the potential lawsuits.  I know the track has attorneys...they must be thinking about it. The theory or basis for the suit could be as simple as "they could have done more and now I am out a ton of money".  Right?
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »

If one assumes the disease is being spread by the training and racing, I could see a cessation of racing and training. However, from what I read in the accounts of backside comings and goings as described by Equiforce, it seems equally or more likely the disease is being spread by horsemen and their employees being careless about the preventative rules that have been established (not to mention the apparently MIA Hawthorne security that is supposed to enforce them). Would they quit wandering around carelessly and coming and going without taking off the hazard suits etc. simply because there wasn't racing? Maybe the threat of closing down racing and earning opportunities would do the trick and get their attention. Hawthorne still makes all the simulcast dough anyhow. A closure would certainly fall harder on horsemen.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »

In my opinion, it borders on criminal negligence.  I'm reading up on that subject now.  
While the horses are number one, hands down, and the stable ponies being as important as the stake horses, it's not just about the horses directly.  
This will have a snowball effect.
For instance, who is going to pay the astronomical vet bills that are already going up and up.  Who is going to pick up the training bills and lost purses for the time we must (or never recover) shut down operations ?
I'm not specifically talking about our stable.  We probably have the best, most supportive owners on the grounds. But, the smaller barns.  This could wipe them out.  They have families and mortgages.  What about the guys that are owners/trainers with one or two that depend on this income.  Who is going to step up and help them ?  
Had this been handled like the serious, deadly virus that it is....we wouldn't be talking about it right now.  
As far as I am concerned, they are a day late and a dollar short in anything they do at this stage.  
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »

Would it be considered spreading it through horsemen or racing when a jockey goes from horse to horse, not having time to COMPLETELY disinfect between races....would it be considered spreading it through horsemen or racing when the valets don't have time to disinfect COMPLETELY OR PROPERLY between saddling ?  Likewise with the PONY PEOPLE, GATE CREW, DETENTION BARN STAFF, etc....
Come on Terry, I've been told you are smarter than this....
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »

Oh, and would it be considered horsemen or racing if it is spread because mike Reavis was able to claim a horse YESTERDAY after leading another infected horse to the "quarantine " barn the day before and us losing a horse the same day....honestly....had racing been shut down at the onset, we would not be going through this.
They fed the beast.
dana

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:57:52 AM »

Equiforce, I just want you to know how much my heart goes out to you in your loss of Ginger and Spice.  I have been following all of your posts on here and this herpes virus is scaring the hell out of me.  My horses are at Hawthorne and I am in constant communication with my trainer about what is going on there.  The situation should be on the highest alert for all and the welfare of the horses the first priority.  I pray that this virus ends soon...Again my condolences to you
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »

I just got word, from my husband, who was AT the meeting with Mr. Miller, Mr. Carey, state vets and our vet and despite the efforts of my husband and our vet, Hawthorne as decided that there is no need to quarantine the individual barns or put a hold on racing.  Their rational is that there have been 3 deaths from the virus but 5 deaths from breakdowns and a colic, so they expressed that it is an acceptable number...ONE ISN'T AN ACCEPTABLE NUMBER.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »

This horse is in the stall right next to my filly. I'm sick right now.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »

Hawthorne's management is unfit to conduct racing.  There is no defense, they are either incompetent or have no concern for the health of the horses.  
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »

Would it be considered spreading it through horsemen or racing when a jockey goes from horse to horse, not having time to COMPLETELY disinfect between races....would it be considered spreading it through horsemen or racing when the valets don't have time to disinfect COMPLETELY OR PROPERLY between saddling ?  Likewise with the PONY PEOPLE, GATE CREW, DETENTION BARN STAFF, etc....
Come on Terry, I've been told you are smarter than this....

And so are you smarter than to lay the entire blame for everything on Hawthorne management when you've seen with your own eyes what the horsemen and their help are doing. Do you know for a fact how any specific horse contracted the disease?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:28:38 AM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 11:27:53 AM »

I just got word, from my husband, who was AT the meeting with Mr. Miller, Mr. Carey, state vets and our vet and despite the efforts of my husband and our vet, Hawthorne as decided that there is no need to quarantine the individual barns or put a hold on racing.

Hawthorne decided this on their own? I thought the State's vet was the authority ultimately in charge of this epidemic.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »

The state vet made this decision.
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »

Supply and demand,  Don't enter and cut off the supply of horse's , as no one will or can ship in!  Maybe that will get their attention. Again I have no problem with either side but something more has to be done, Horses first!
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »

The state vet made this decision.

Then concerned horsemen and their horsemen's organization should be leaning all over the vet's boss, the IRB. If the State says shut it down, the track has no say in the matter.

Furthermore, assuming the power is there, the State should be fining anyone, track or horseman or independent contractor, who is caught/observed not following the rules.

I agree the attitude expressed about an "acceptable" mortality rate is pretty abominable, but so is the idea of some of those closest to the horses not caring whether they spread the disease or not.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »

Maybe the paulick report needs a copy of my video, strolling around the "quarantine" barn.  No signs saying Authorized personnel only.  No signs indicating its a quarantine barn.  No guard.   
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »

Did anyone ask at the meeting this morning why the barn(s) were not being monitored/guarded, as per the rules that were published? Which barn was this you went in, by the way?

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »

I went in to Barn Kelso 2. And Hawthorne feels that they are doing what they need to do.  This was not a general public meeting.  This was a meeting for the higher ups.  My husband was only there because he had a fatality a couple of days ago and 3 horses that have come back wth positive tests since.
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »

My husband was only there because he had a fatality a couple of days ago and 3 horses that have come back with positive tests since.

So sorry to hear that, I am deeply saddened.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »

Thank you Mel.  It's been a difficult time.  Hopefully our new positives shed this miserable virus quickly and recover completely
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »

There is not much good news coming out of Hawthorne these days. As a fan of the sport though, the good news is there are so many trainers and owners who are so devoted and caring of their horses and who put the horses' welfare first. In whatever capacity, we are all a family so we share in the sadness of the loss of these horses. Equiforce, I am so sorry to learn of your loss of Ginger and Spice at only two years old and that you have more who have tested positive.  Am hoping for the best outcome for your horses in that they all stay healthy. Brivolta, sending prayers to you and your girl. We've followed her now for months and we share in the anguish you all are feeling right now. Stay strong, all, the horses need you more than ever right now.
mark5sl

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »

Not sure if i've seen anything about this but are horses allowed in and out of the track? Sorry about everybodies sick horses and all those that had to be put down.Been in the situation.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »

There is not much good news coming out of Hawthorne these days. As a fan of the sport though, the good news is there are so many trainers and owners who are so devoted and caring of their horses and who put the horses' welfare first. In whatever capacity, we are all a family so we share in the sadness of the loss of these horses. Equiforce, I am so sorry to learn of your loss of Ginger and Spice at only two years old and that you have more who have tested positive.  Am hoping for the best outcome for your horses in that they all stay healthy. Brivolta, sending prayers to you and your girl. We've followed her now for months and we share in the anguish you all are feeling right now. Stay strong, all, the horses need you more than ever right now.

Very sweet of you Mary Ann. Thank you so much.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: