Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 09:12:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne  (Read 35128 times)
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: December 02, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »

I didn't feel like you are whining.  Honestly, I agree that this affects ALOT more than just us here at Hawthorne and our horses.  I didn't get to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter in college in Florida because of this.  It's the first holiday that we have had in 19 years without her...AND, Dale and I are on the very tail end of adopting our littlest one, who will be 3 in Jan.  it was supposed to be final by Christmas, but will now be after Jan.  after a 3 long year wait.  And I KNOW that sounds just like whining....but it is just a small example of how it has affected lives OFF of the track.
Report to moderator   Logged
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: December 02, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »

I didn't feel like you are whining.  Honestly, I agree that this affects ALOT more than just us here at Hawthorne and our horses.  I didn't get to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter in college in Florida because of this.  It's the first holiday that we have had in 19 years without her...AND, Dale and I are on the very tail end of adopting our littlest one, who will be 3 in Jan.  it was supposed to be final by Christmas, but will now be after Jan.  after a 3 long year wait.  And I KNOW that sounds just like whining....but it is just a small example of how it has affected lives OFF of the track.

Additionally, there is no way to quantify what effect this tragic event will have on your (and other affected trainers) future income.  Who knows what owners who are stuck here are going to do once they are able to get out of here, or how this might change their decision making process about future horses.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »

That's exactly right Beobob.  I'm thankful for the owners we have, for sure and also for the other post Arlington options....

I know alot of people don't have other options or stock to go elsewhere, and I feel for them.
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: December 02, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »

The Oxymoronic goal of a "dull roar" is a "brilliantly dull", "mad genius" idea dependent on "governmental intelligence" choosing a "lesser evil" , "problem solved" approach instead of "procrastinating now" and generates such "hopeless optimism"  for "partial success" that justifies a "premeditated spontaneous" trip at "deliberate speed" in a "luxury compact" to a "gourmet fast food"  restaurant for a "terribly enjoyable" celebration  with "dry martinis", "hot chili" , "jumbo shrimp" and a " 12 oz. pound cake".
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: December 02, 2012, 11:48:25 AM »

The Oxymoronic goal of a "dull roar" is a "brilliantly dull", "mad genius" idea dependent on "governmental intelligence" choosing a "lesser evil" , "problem solved" approach instead of "procrastinating now" and generates such "hopeless optimism"  for "partial success" that justifies a "premeditated spontaneous" trip at "deliberate speed" in a "luxury compact" to a "gourmet fast food"  restaurant for a "terribly enjoyable" celebration  with "dry martinis", "hot chili" , "jumbo shrimp" and a " 12 oz. pound cake".

"Here's news": Horse racing isn't such an important part of general life or the overall economy that taxpayers should have to spend unlimited resources ensuring it is 100% of anything. 

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: December 02, 2012, 11:51:22 AM »

Catalano ran a horse in the stake yesterday who shipped up from GP.
I thought horses couldn't ship in, or is it only ship out?
If that's the case, his horse shouldn't be able to leave the grounds, right?
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: December 02, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »

Seems like a big risk to pick up a potential 70K, unless they aren't high on her future.  It's my understanding that she is now in jail.  So not only is she at risk for the virus, but even if she stays healthy she's not going anywhere for a month or longer.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: December 02, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »

Yes, If she fit the race I was going to run her for $10k for the Ill Money, which is why I claimed her.  If not, I would run her for $5k.  My post said I am sorry for everyone impacted.

I am not crying or whining.  This is a forum and I am expressing my feelings.  It is a tough situation to lose a condition for such small money. 

What does concern me is the potential spread of the virus when the quarantine is lifted.  While I do feel your pain, we are all impacted.

Have you still been entering at Turfway? I noticed the fields aren't all full...though maybe the ones you're entering for are a different story.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: December 02, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »

Beobob,
A month....she will be lucky to get out of here by spring.

I guess the superman, this can't happen to me mentality still exists among top trainers....I hope they stay healthy....

What a risk to take.
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: December 02, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »

bang head

Yes, If she fit the race I was going to run her for $10k for the Ill Money, which is why I claimed her.  If not, I would run her for $5k.  My post said I am sorry for everyone impacted.

I am not crying or whining.  This is a forum and I am expressing my feelings.  It is a tough situation to lose a condition for such small money. 

What does concern me is the potential spread of the virus when the quarantine is lifted.  While I do feel your pain, we are all impacted.

g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: December 02, 2012, 07:19:40 PM »

Nobody said sports should be eliminated but unless your deaf, dumb, and blind which i know youre not you know horseracing does not even come close to having "100% integrity" and it does a awful job of policing itself

As long as human element is involved, there will never be 100% integrity in horse racing...OR basketball, OR football OR soccer, etc. 
What do we do ?  Eliminate sports.  That's worse than taking the pledge of Allegience out of schools..!
You hit the nail on the head, Terry.  They try to keep it to a dull roar...
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: December 02, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »

No, like the roach motel.... you can check in but you cannot check out.  Better judgment says don't enter a quarantine, but that is substantial money and the one way door is open.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »

When did this horse come on the backside? Anyone got an exact date?

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:11 PM »

Terry, I'm gonna try to get that info for you tomorrow.
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: December 03, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »

When did this horse come on the backside? Anyone got an exact date?
He shows a work at GP on Nov.28th.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: December 03, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »

No, like the roach motel.... you can check in but you cannot check out.  Better judgment says don't enter a quarantine, but that is substantial money and the one way door is open.

Dano, just saw you scratched Swift Melva for today. Just didn't want to make the trip or something wrong with her?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »

When was/is the race ?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: December 03, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »

It a possibility that he entered to see how tough the race came up, with the intention of bringing her if it was light.
But if she shows a workout at GP...after the race, well, I really wouldn't be surprised.
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: December 03, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »

If have read things right:

The horse worked at GP on 11/28 and raced in the Stakes at HAW on 12/1 , so  appears prob arrived 11/29 or 11/30 ;

So it seems that the horse must now stay at HAW until quarantine is lifted or permission to leave is granted. 

Assume they made a knowing decision to ship and run.   

But , out of money finish, likely torpedoes the Risk/Reward bottom line.

Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: December 03, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »

But if she shows a workout at GP...after the race, well, I really wouldn't be surprised.

No, that's not it. She worked at GP on 11/28, & unless that's a bad work, was subsequently shipped to HAW for Saturday's $125K Whitworth, where she earned about $3,500 finishing 5th. Guess they figured since she was Illinois bred she needed to be here anyway, quarantine be damned.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #995 on: December 03, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »

Doesn't seem like a reasonable risk to me...
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: December 03, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »

Why would they let her ship in....I had thought we were now under the "no horses in OR out" rule.
Babyruffy

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: December 03, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »

Horses CAN ship in-they just can not leave.
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: December 03, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »

No, that's not it. She worked at GP on 11/28, & unless that's a bad work, was subsequently shipped to HAW for Saturday's $125K Whitworth, where she earned about $3,500 finishing 5th. Guess they figured since she was Illinois bred she needed to be here anyway, quarantine be damned.

It wasn't an unreasonable shot considering how restrictive the conditions were. You had to be pay nomination fees like three separate times to be eligible for the race.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: December 03, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »

So, in a 96 hour period of time, this filly breezed, shipped 1400 miles and ran in a stake.  In a completely different climate.
That shouldn't stress her out.....

And now, she is potentially exposed to a deadly virus....

For....3500. Fifth money
Less shipping.  Aprox. 1000. On a good day....considering more than likely she didn't catch a ride with someone headed to Hawthorne.
Less Jocks mount.
Less nomination fees.

And I'll have to ask my vet about the no shipping in rule as well.  At one point, I believe there was a no in/out rule.  I will be interested to see when/ if changes to that rule ccurred.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: