Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 09:21:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne  (Read 31640 times)
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

Relaying a message is all. I knew Steves filly was ill as of this morning ...my prayers go out to her
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:53:17 PM by jrstark » Report to moderator   Logged
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

I cant for the life of me understand why on Earth you would be claiming horses at this time?? Are these people into Russian roulette??
Report to moderator   Logged
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »

Standard procedure is not effective in this situation.  I cannot see how allowing horses that are stabled in a barn where a horse not only tested positive but died is acceptable.   The horses in that barn should not be allowed to train or race out of fairness to the barns that have not had sick horses up to this point.  I am not name calling or trying to blame anyone as I have been through all this before at Turfway and know how difficult it is to stop.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:56 PM »

I just corrected the rumor on FB as well.  
We trainers are going though so much right now that the last thing we need is unconfirmed rumors being posted in legitimate forums.  I initially posted on here to AVOID exactly that.  I have been honest about our own situation, FIRST HAND.  I'm not chastising you sport horse, for being appalled or compassionate to any information on this subject.  Just asking you and EVERYONE to consider the source before you pass the info along.  
pony

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

[
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:01:36 PM by pony » Report to moderator   Logged
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »

We agree Cory.  We weren't even asked to scratch today.  Dale did scratch because at the end of the day, he couldn't Risk contaminating another horse, by running his.  Our horse s being housed, obviously in a barn that has a minimum of 5 positives, including a fatality in the past 72 hours. Yet it was ok in Hawthornes eyes to run.  Well, Dale scratched...maybe very late, but HIS INTEGRITY AND LOVE OF HIS HORSES will always win out to the mighty dollar !!!!!!
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »

I'm sorry that your vet lied to you.  The trainer actually confirmed the horse is alive.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »

Agree totally that the last thing we need is false rumors but at what point do we know what to believe and what not to believe? After all management had this UNDER control Roll Eyes now it seems it is going
from barn to barn and there are dipshits out there claiming horses during an epidemic!!! Roll Eyes
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »

Agree totally that the last thing we need is false rumors but at what point do we know what to believe and what not to believe?

That's two bad rumors in two days you posted to the forum.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
pony

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »

[
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:01:10 PM by pony » Report to moderator   Logged
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »

When it comes FIRST HAND. That is when it is to be believed.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:45 PM »

That was 3 days ago.  You posted that another was dead tonight, 15 min ago or something.  I am simply stating that this is NOT the case to squash a potential rumor.  With that being said, not only did the "fill in vet" show a lack of discretion in this situation by relaying partial information to someone outside, but now I feel compelled to ask my own vet about this.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »

That was 3 days ago.  You posted that another was dead tonight, 15 min ago or something.  I am simply stating that this is NOT the case to squash a potential rumor.  With that being said, not only did the "fill in vet" show a lack of discretion in this situation by relaying partial information to someone outside, but now I feel compelled to ask my own vet about this.
E force have u contacted Uc davis?
They really did a hell of a study on this shit!
I went to a seminar they had on this and it was amazing how the we're so efficient on the disease not spreading !
I found them to be so help full with every call! Dr. Mengazian is very knowledgeable. Also may help with this complacency  u can also email him !Dr Fiaro has lots a pull in the race horse world!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:16:54 PM by fuzzypants » Report to moderator   Logged

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »

Equiforce, thank you for everything you have done in bringing this tragedy to light. The negligence on Hawthorne's part is overwhelming.  If the track won't take matters seriously maybe the owners and trainers need to, by not allowing their horses to race or train and keep them confined to their barns.What I don't understand is why they cant just test every single horse on the grounds and remove the infected ones from the population. What is so hard about that?  Surely there is something that can be sprayed in every barn to disinfect.  What about taking info to the media?  And there should be a massive lawsuit brought against the dept. of ag. ,Hawthorne race course and anyone who is not taking every precaution in this outbreak. Video tape everything on the backside that looks alarming.  This way there is documentation. Bring it to the local media, get it on the air, at the end of the day, the bottom line is always the bottom line. Force the track and the state to take action through bad press.  
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »

Thanks for the info, I will most certainly contact them.  Knowledge is power.  
I did talk to the head vet at Rood and Riddle and they were happy to give me some very valuable information, suggestions, etc.  
it's really amazing how strangers want to help, even if it is providing information from 3 states away.
Our own track should take a lesson.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »

Great post Tbred  trophy first of all horsemen are stupid not to get involved in this I'm talking all breeds that race and show they need to press baby I mean press !
They for get theses horses are the blood and river of life to our industry and need to be treated as such!
Also I would remind you John Harris is on the board at Uc davis press nanny press it with all of them john very nice excess able guy also he is on our Chrb baby he can help also may have some pull. Wink

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »

Thoroughbred, thank you
I actually DO have video and audio and the right people are aware of it. It can be very difficult to get a large group of people to band together, even if it is in their best interest.  My husband and I both talked about this tonight....had this virus not hit us so close to home, on our doorstep, would we be reacting so strongly ?  I would love to say yes....but honestly, I think it took being on our doorstep for us open our eyes completely.
And unfortunately, I feel like until others are affected as we are, we will not have unity amongst the trainers.  Our own ITHA isn't even starting to take action for 3-1/2 more days.  That will be an entire week after our fatality....so, until it gets worse, I don't believe it will get better.  

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »

Also wanted to thank you fuzzy for the info you provided.  Of course I ill look into your suggestions. 
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »

Thanks for the info, I will most certainly contact them.  Knowledge is power.  
I did talk to the head vet at Rood and Riddle and they were happy to give me some very valuable information, suggestions, etc.  
it's really amazing how strangers want to help, even if it is providing information from 3 states away.
Our own track should take a lesson.

We are all in this together it's affects all of our horses people just think cause it's not at there track well wtf it sure as shit will be they have to treat any disease like this as war!
They should have bio gear head to toe foot booties all of that mask this crap is no joke!
I'm so sorry about your filly but what makes
Me crazy is no one realizes these animals have no choice man you are a damn good owner wish their were more like you.

Reminds me of the frickn movies jaws don't close the beache!

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »

Definitely sticking together is Key.  And educating ourselves on this crap, so that if it ever happens again, we are ready to fight a little better.  Horsemen are horsemen, period...we really do need to band together...ya know....united we stand, divided we fall and all of that...
Chris Szulc

« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »

That will be an entire week after our fatality....so, until it gets worse, I don't believe it will get better.  

Amazing that it will take MORE horses dying or getting horribly sick to draw light on that. I understand horses break down through normal course of training and racing, but this is entirely preventable and doesn't have to spread! One is too many, four is absolutely outrageous.

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »

Amazing that it will take MORE horses dying or getting horribly sick to draw light on that. I understand horses break down through normal course of training and racing, but this is entirely preventable and doesn't have to spread! One is too many, four is absolutely outrageous.

Not being a horseman, I am curious.  I do not think it is possible to stop the virus no matter what you do.  You can take all the precautions you want but it will still spread. The only way to combat this is the medical treatment of the sick horses with whatever medical science is available. Then the epidemic has to run its course I guess.  To point fingers at other trainers, workers, vets, the state, and Hawthorne is not going to accomplish a lot right now.  To shut Hawthorne down is like driving your employer bankrupt.  Then you are bankrupt.

It is unfortunate that horses have been sick and some have been lost.  Unless you can bring in a plan to handle this from somewhere, everybody is going to have to stick together and help each other out to get through this period. 
Chris Szulc

« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »

To shut Hawthorne down is like driving your employer bankrupt.  Then you are bankrupt.

I understand there would be an immediate economic loss to Hawthorne and horsemen too, but they could make up for time lost of a temporary shutdown of racing and training by going 5 or 6 days a week. The purse fund is still there, yes some handle will be lost but the facility and purse fund is always there...

This stuff still can spread with the gates, in the mornings, the exercise riders, etc... It could be better. And especially with a TRUE quarantine.
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2012, 12:24:11 AM »

Sporthorse back with usual False "fact"

( always read with a grain of salt)
thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2012, 12:35:03 AM »

Not being a horseman, I am curious.  I do not think it is possible to stop the virus no matter what you do.  You can take all the precautions you want but it will still spread. The only way to combat this is the medical treatment of the sick horses with whatever medical science is available. Then the epidemic has to run its course I guess.  To point fingers at other trainers, workers, vets, the state, and Hawthorne is not going to accomplish a lot right now.  To shut Hawthorne down is like driving your employer bankrupt.  Then you are bankrupt.

It is unfortunate that horses have been sick and some have been lost.  Unless you can bring in a plan to handle this from somewhere, everybody is going to have to stick together and help each other out to get through this period. 

Every single horse on the grounds can be tested. Every single horse infected with the virus can be REMOVED from the grounds. Taken somewhere I don't know or care where, somewhere. The entire place disinfected and continued testing to make sure no horse slips through the cracks. That is how you fix the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: