Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 21, 2014, 06:08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne  (Read 35651 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »

Terry, thank you for bringing up some very valid points.  Being in a barn with a trainer that has 40+ horses, I can tell you this....I haven't seen him Come to the barn these last two seasons at Hawthorne.  He just isn't there. Period.  I cannot account for whether or not he shows up at Arlington because we are in diff. Barns. 
You would be surprised at how often this is the case.
For many years, Tom Amoss was stabled in our barn at Arlington.  I'm going to say at least 4-5 years.  Not ONCE did we see him come to the barn. 
I also agree with you that it is our responsibility, as trainers to take care of our business.  So, if a "trainer" is too busy to come to the barn, once a week, once a month, once a meet to see what is going on in the barn, what makes ANYONE think they have any attachment to these horses ?  for them, it is a status, a business, an image.  Nothing more. 

You know what, there's quite a bit we could explore in this, but I'll just sum it up by saying it's quite obvious why there's no unity among horsemen.
Report to moderator   Logged

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
Chris Szulc

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:25 PM »

There's a lot of going back and forth with this thread. First of all, enough with the AP/Haw comparisons.

It doesn't matter at this point because there is clearly a problem, a BIG problem that looks like it is getting worse.

I also don't understand the hostility and disbelief towards Equiforce's statements. I can vouch for her because I know who she is and somewhat familiar with their operation. In case you haven't figured it out yet from the DRF article or otherwise, they are the Bennetts, very good training operation. The majority of people complaining or throwing stones at her and other trainers/owners that have chimed in on this thread haven't been on the backside so as someone who is there every day I think we can take her statements as the truth.

Now as I said before I am removed from the Chicago racing scene as I moved out to Iowa for work, so now I'm wondering if any of the other trainers upset with this current sitation as well. I'm sure there are but as Equiforce has pointed out, they are afraid of speaking out because stall assignments may be used against them in the future (this is the case everywhere BTW...HAW, AP, everywhere else around the country)... It will take a lot more of this coming out, and getting people together on this.

Where's the ITHA on this? I understand they represent the horsemen...but shouldn't the HORSEmen be representing the HORSE and not just $$$$$$$?HuhHuh?!!!!
Chris Szulc

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »

It's also my understanding that horses still testing positive for EHV-1 but no symptoms or fevers are being allowed to train? Even through separate training hours on the track, this stuff spreads through human contact, and no way is 100% of the backstretch workforce completely disinfecting after training with the positives and going back to the other barns....
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »

Chris, I would sure love to meet you if you make it this way next year at Arlington.  Apparently we have mutual connections.  Feel free to get my number and/or email and hollar at me if you come this way.  
Thank you for being my knight in this very difficult time.  You are truly a class act and I appreciate your message.

Smiley
Chris Szulc

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »

I do Backstretch Stables' bookkeeping. We never met other than in passing but I know you guys do great work; your results show and your passion shows here. Keep it up - hopefully progress can be made.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »

Ohhhhhhhh.....stu has mentioned you.  He just never mentioned you have shiny armor !! Nice to meet you, despite the ugly circumstances
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »

Where's the ITHA on this? I understand they represent the horsemen...but shouldn't the HORSEmen be representing the HORSE and not just $$$$$$$?HuhHuh?!!!!

That's sort of what I'm thinking, too.

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »

I find this all shocking.  There are not words for it.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »

No Pam, there really aren't.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »

It's time to shut it down.......the dept of agriculture and state veterinarian are turning a blind eye to keep the revenue coming in.......it's just wrong.......
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »

It is time to shut down. Period.  I'm sorry for everyone who has lost something, or will lose something out of this (including us).  But, enough is enough.  Shut it down, clamp it down, contain it and get past it.
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »

Actually the time to shut down was more than three weeks ago when the virus was discovered. Lets see. Cancell racing for two weeks. Make up the dates by going back to five days a week after the virus is eradicated. Add another week to the racing schedule if necessary. No one loses any money. No horses die because we are all worried about the money lost by cancelling race dates. And best of all we all know we did the correct thing. Nah that's to easy.

For the record I own horses, have sick horses, have a quarantined horse that has since tested negative as far as blood work goes. So I am acutely aware of the politics and lack of action by the state including ALL of the vets as far as I know on the backside. They should all be embarrassed by their actions. My vet actually complained that he didn't make enough money on the treatment medicine. So much for worrying about taking care of the horses. This entire situation makes me ill.

Denise and Dale are nothing more than role models for what every trainer and/or owner should be. The problem is the tracks and the State are blinded by the money. If I don't get stalls so be it. At least I will be able to sleep at night knowing I did everything I could to protect my horses and my investment. Nobody is squeaky clean in this!
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »

It is time to shut down. Period. 

Is that smoke I smell?
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »

So...as I was reading this thread I received a call from my trainer that he thinks the horse next to mine has it. I was there yesterday to watch my filly race and I was petting her as well as the one he thinks is infected. This fvcking sucks. Ugh.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »

@Chartwell, my husband just left the meeting, attended by Mr. Miller, Mr. Carey, the state vets, our vet and I am not sure who else, but essentially, it wasn't an open meeting.  It was determined, despite our vet and my husbands pleas, that there have been 3 deaths from this virus and 5 deaths from either breakdowns or colic this meet, therefore they find 3 to be a reasonable, acceptable number.  It really is sickening.  I never turned my video off on my phone yesterday after I videoed my husband and I casually and completely walking into the "quarantine" barn, strolling around and then leaving.  I didn't realize my video was still on and put my phone in my pocket. Essentially, I inadvertently recorded, without picture of course, the conversation and same rationale of our conversation with the state vet yesterday.  Maybe if their blatant disregard for the horsemen were to be made public, VERY public, they old change their tune.
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »

Well said Chartwell.  I went through all this one winter at Turfway.   It was over 90 days before it was all over with.  I told everyone that would listen what happened there which was similar to here in that once the horses were allowed to start training again it spread rapidly even though the officials thought it was contained.    The horses that are sick should have been removed from the premises to a secure offsite facility.  By keeping them here everyone's horses were put at risk.  It is impossible to quarantine cats and rats as they go from barn to barn.  Most of the backside help are not known for their cleanliness often wearing the same clothes to the barn over and over again.  They live in dorms with their families who often work for other trainers increasing the risk of contamination.  Hopefully someone will do something and get the sick horses off the grounds as soon as possible...
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

Does anyone have the authority to levy fines and days on people who do not follow disinfecting protocols?Is it the Ag people,the Racing Board,stewards,or anyone?Also,what about the Hawthorne horses that go to Tampa and the Fair Grounds?Will they be barred from there?I know Oaklawn has stopped some of them from shipping.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »

Since this is now hitting WAY too close to home, does anyone know how long it might be before I know if my horse has this virus? The horse next to her had a slight fever off and on for a couple days, but today is having trouble moving and they think she has it. I'm not sure how likely it is that mine will get it, or how long it will take for me to know.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »

I'm so sorry that you are going through this or even that you are potentially going through this.  It seems like it is starting with a lingering on and off low grade temp.  A lot more horses have it than you can imagine.  Some, actually most seem to be Able to fight off the neurological part of this virus on their own, and for no known reason others cannot.  There is no vaccine.  It's EVER so important to use spray Lysol , on your clothing, hand sanitizer, use bleach water fr any equipment that the horse comes into contact with. Have your groom use gloves between horses.  Make sure your groom sprays down in between EVERY horse.  Sanitize stalls.  Pine sol works well.  I don't know what else to tell you.  I made a trip to SAMS CLUB and spent hundreds of dollars on tons of these items and explained to our help how to use and the importance of using.  Keep us posted and best of luck.  My heart goes out to you Smiley
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »

NM
We can't leave.  No tracks will take us until this is over.  And since they are turning a blind eye to everything and do not even have anyone monitoring the quarantine barn, fines or days don't come in to play.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »

I'm so sorry that you are going through this or even that you are potentially going through this.  It seems like it is starting with a lingering on and off low grade temp.  A lot more horses have it than you can imagine.  Some, actually most seem to be Able to fight off the neurological part of this virus on their own, and for no known reason others cannot.  There is no vaccine.  It's EVER so important to use spray Lysol , on your clothing, hand sanitizer, use bleach water fr any equipment that the horse comes into contact with. Have your groom use gloves between horses.  Make sure your groom sprays down in between EVERY horse.  Sanitize stalls.  Pine sol works well.  I don't know what else to tell you.  I made a trip to SAMS CLUB and spent hundreds of dollars on tons of these items and explained to our help how to use and the importance of using.  Keep us posted and best of luck.  My heart goes out to you Smiley

Thank you. I'm very sorry for your loss. I just got word that the next fatality could be hours away. I was petting this horse yesterday and she seemed totally fine. This is just crazy. I am a nervous wreck.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »

I am so sorry for the connections.  It is so very difficult to wrap your brain around.  You do have to understand something though.  Even if your filly tests positive, it doesn't mean she will ever exhibit the neurological symptoms.  She may be able to shed the virus on her own, as is the case more often than not. 
Have your trainer take the precautionary steps I was telling you about and it may well help.  I personally think that the Lysol anti viral is quick and easy to use and hopefully effective.

Best of luck to you.  Try to stay positive...hopefully everything will be fine with your filly.
Chris Szulc

« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »

I just FB messages Maggi Moss, don't know if she will respond, but she is heard when she speaks out and is an attorney....hopefully she can help??

This is nuts.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »

Thank you very much.  I will be happy to forward her the video I took of us strolling through the quarantine barn, during training hours 2 mornings ago.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »

I am so sorry for the connections.  It is so very difficult to wrap your brain around.  You do have to understand something though.  Even if your filly tests positive, it doesn't mean she will ever exhibit the neurological symptoms.  She may be able to shed the virus on her own, as is the case more often than not. 
Have your trainer take the precautionary steps I was telling you about and it may well help.  I personally think that the Lysol anti viral is quick and easy to use and hopefully effective.

Best of luck to you.  Try to stay positive...hopefully everything will be fine with your filly.

Thank you. I have passed the info along. Hopefully all will be okay. I'm obviously very worried for my filly, but I'm so sad about the one who has it. She is the sweetest mare I've ever seen. She's like having a pet dog. It's so incredibly sad.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: