Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 06:40:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne  (Read 32003 times)
Chris Szulc

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »

What is the difference between full quarantine and what they've got now, no horses allowed to leave?

I think Sporthorse also means, going on what Equiforce has said, is that the so-called "quarantine" barn is not really a true, full quarantine. People are allowed (or maybe it's not "allowed"...but not enforced as Equiforce has said) to go in/out freely which is not a true quarantine because this stuff spreads with human contact too...
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

We were given stalls in Barn 5 (declined) after we were told thatthere were horses moving from a contaminated barn to our barn. To which even further more emphasises the lack of safety and concern on Hawthornes part. Sorry if this is misinformation on the other parties part but it worked out for us any way.

You got misinformation from some other party, and that emphasizes lack of safety and concern on Hawthorne's part?

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »

Hmmmmmmm  No response Mr Horsevoice...

You seem to be a giant windsock with varying degrees of concern.

Geezus, can a guy go out and have dinner for an hour or two?  screwy

I can see why you are blocked by so many posters

Blocked by 4 posters, after being here for 10+ years. BFD.

You won't last. The "hot air" types never do.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »

I think Sporthorse also means, going on what Equiforce has said, is that the so-called "quarantine" barn is not really a true, full quarantine. People are allowed (or maybe it's not "allowed"...but not enforced as Equiforce has said) to go in/out freely which is not a true quarantine because this stuff spreads with human contact too...

It doesn't sound like the procedures are being followed regarding the quarantine barn(s), and that would sure not isolate it on the grounds at Hawthorne. But Sporthorse was pretty specific about horses coming on the grounds. Quarantine is about keeping disease from going out, and so far it's being isolated to Hawthorne by the current policy of no horses leaving. Unless, of course, people are dragging it home on their clothes, or truck, or whatever.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »

You got misinformation from some other party, and that emphasizes lack of safety and concern on Hawthorne's part?

So much for decorum. The rumormongers and track management wannabe's have the stage now; let's progress straight to wild exaggeration and righteous indignation over what *should* be done.  head shake

As Eddie Murphy once said, "Give a [epithet for black person] a rope, and he thinks he's a cowboy"; here, we have a half dozen goobers who know someone who owns a horse, and they think that qualifies them to tell Hawthorne how to manage the virus outbreak. Simply fvcking ridiculous.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »

There's certainly cause for concern that it's NOT been eliminated, and has jumped barns again. The examples Equiforce described certainly wouldn't make one believe that all horsemen are taking things seriously, or Hawthorne "enforcing" the rules enough (as much as horsemen will stand enforcing). But as for additional histrionics and bogus accusations based on what looks to be a bad rumor ... no, that's not helpful.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »

@ sporthorse.  Thank you for the condolences.  And thank you for trying to educate people on this virus.  In the obvious cases, it is falling on deaf ears.
I completely agree on your idea of what should have been done from the beginning.  
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »

UMMMMMM YES TERRY!!!!! During a quarantine it means JUST that !!!! You DO NOT go relocating horses from one barn to another until an ALL CLEAR is given!!!! Henceforth carelessness on Hawthornes part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »

So much for decorum. The rumormongers and track management wannabe's have the stage now; let's progress straight to wild exaggeration and righteous indignation over what *should* be done.  head shake

As Eddie Murphy once said, "Give a [epithet for black person] a rope, and he thinks he's a cowboy"; here, we have a half dozen goobers who know someone who owns a horse, and they think that qualifies them to tell Hawthorne how to manage the virus outbreak. Simply fvcking ridiculous.

AS IF you know any damn thing about the subject! Why dont you crawl back in the same hole you crawled out of?? VOICE OF NO HORSE!
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2012, 09:03:33 PM »

Geezus, can a guy go out and have dinner for an hour or two?  screwy

Blocked by 4 posters, after being here for 10+ years. BFD.

You won't last. The "hot air" types never do.

I am not sure what that even means......

Didn't know The Hawthorne cafe has dinner service cheese cheese.

Not to hijak this thread & take away from the serious problem at Hawthorne but my wife think Cory Patton is hot bowing bowing
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »

AS IF you know any damn thing about the subject! Why dont you crawl back in the same hole you crawled out of?? VOICE OF NO HORSE!

OK, smartass, since you know so much: state YOUR professional experience or information with any of the following:

* running a thoroughbred racetrack or training track

* managing a livestock virus outbreak

* the University from which you obtained your D.V.M.

I'm all ears.  
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »

UMMMMMM YES TERRY!!!!! During a quarantine it means JUST that !!!! You DO NOT go relocating horses from one barn to another until an ALL CLEAR is given!!!! Henceforth carelessness on Hawthornes part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do if you need a barn to isolate sick horses from those that aren't. Apparently your solution would have been for all horses to remain in place in their original stalls, with the sick ones right next to the healthy ones? That's certainly not the recommended procedure.

Prairie

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »

And last but not least, Hawthorne is the ONLY track that I have ever been to that requires no paperwork to get through the gate.  No coggins, no health certificate, nothing.  It's a free for all...

OMG!!!!  I can't move my mare from one boarding barn to another without a coggins!
I had no idea Hawthorne was so "casual"!

I got a chill when I read that no one (including the vet, who should know better!) was required to wear protective gear when handling your filly.  And.....how could Michael Reavis' horses be allowed to train with the general population when he just had a horse moved into quarantine?Huh  We take more precautions when one of our horses has diarrhea!

My heart goes out to you, your stable crew and Ginger and Spice's owners.  Such a tremendous loss.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »

Thank you Prairie.  We were in disbelief as well at the casual attitude in both entry and this virus.
UncleEddiesPal

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »

Mr. HorseVoice,
It must be very difficult to wake up day after day and be The Voice of Reason. My hats off to you on your self appointed position. Best of luck.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2012, 09:39:08 PM »

If this is true, Hawthorne should be shut down. 

I'm sorry for your loss, Equiforce.  You deserved more from Hawthorne and the state vets
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »

If this is true, Hawthorne should be shut down. 

If what is true, and what would be accomplished?

The horses aren't going anywhere. They're stuck on that backside for the duration. Or at least, supposed to be stuck there. The same people working around them now and not observing the precautions would still be the ones working around them.

The changing barns through claiming etc. business is not positive, however.

dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »

Terry, the continuation of the meet is causing additional, unnecessary exposures or potential exposures.  In my discussions I have learned that the only proper thing to do is to shut down immediately, both for racing and training.  Keep them in their place and contain the exposure as well as possible. Once there are no more positives, life goes on.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2012, 10:05:55 PM »

Terry, the continuation of the meet is causing additional, unnecessary exposures or potential exposures.  In my discussions I have learned that the only proper thing to do is to shut down immediately, both for racing and training.  Keep them in their place and contain the exposure as well as possible. Once there are no more positives, life goes on.

I can see where that is the opinion of some people. Why does the State vet not have that opinion? And how have other racetracks dealt with this in the past?

The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »

If what is true, and what would be accomplished?

The horses aren't going anywhere. They're stuck on that backside for the duration. Or at least, supposed to be stuck there. The same people working around them now and not observing the precautions would still be the ones working around them.

The changing barns through claiming etc. business is not positive, however.

I'm not going to blame the people working around the horses for failing to observe the precautions, 95% of them probably haven't even graduated high school.

I will blame the people that should be showing leadership here and are failing to do so.....the people running Hawthorne.  

One of two things is going on here:  Hawthorne is incapable of operating a quarantine, or Hawthorne is putting racing over the horses' health.  Either way, Hawthorne's making its own bed.....shut it down.  
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »

I'm not going to blame the people working around the horses for failing to observe the precautions, 95% of them probably haven't even graduated high school.

You can't simply absolve someone from their responsibilities like that. They don't work for Hawthorne, they work for (or are) the horsemen, who are responsible for the health and lives of these animals. If guys truly are doing what Equiforce reports, leaving the isolation barns in the "clean" suits and going out to hang around the back rail during training, or wander into other barns, why aren't their bosses reaming them or firing them?

I will blame the people that should be showing leadership here and are failing to do so.....the people running Hawthorne.

Of course you will. You never fail to do so.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »

Terry, thank you for bringing up some very valid points.  Being in a barn with a trainer that has 40+ horses, I can tell you this....I haven't seen him Come to the barn these last two seasons at Hawthorne.  He just isn't there. Period.  I cannot account for whether or not he shows up at Arlington because we are in diff. Barns. 
You would be surprised at how often this is the case.
For many years, Tom Amoss was stabled in our barn at Arlington.  I'm going to say at least 4-5 years.  Not ONCE did we see him come to the barn. 
I also agree with you that it is our responsibility, as trainers to take care of our business.  So, if a "trainer" is too busy to come to the barn, once a week, once a month, once a meet to see what is going on in the barn, what makes ANYONE think they have any attachment to these horses ?  for them, it is a status, a business, an image.  Nothing more. 
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

Turf monster, one of two things is not happening....two of two thing are....
RacetrackRailbird

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »

Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne

Be-cause it's HAAAAAAAAAAAAW-THOOOOOOOOOOORNE

Why does this obvious answer continue to be soooooooooooooooo lost on your people???

NO ONE Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaares.

I mean, take the Illinois Derby, for example...    Sportsmans-to-Louisville - BINGO!

Hawthorne-to-Louisville - dullsville.

Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »

I am not sure what that even means......

Didn't know The Hawthorne cafe has dinner service cheese cheese.

Not to hijak this thread & take away from the serious problem at Hawthorne but my wife think Cory Patton is hot bowing bowing

my wife also thinks I am hot.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: