Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 01:01:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne  (Read 34091 times)
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »

I feel sorry for Jim Miller and Hawthorne.  I am not sure what else they can do.  Handling this disease is like shooting at invisible flies.  From what has been said here, some people may not be doing their jobs.  Plus, I don't think they have the manpower to do everything that the owners would like to get down.

I guess we have to give Jim Miller another job as a security guard.
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »

Anyone here have an "in" with local media that can bring an "outside-the-industry" (i.e. other than DRF or biased Hawthorne/ITHA notes) spotlight into this...Huh??

But make sure it is someone who actually checks facts and sources for accuracy ... which would DQ at least one local racing writer.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »

AFTER 10/26, implementing new entry paperwork seems amusing.  
Also, I did a video this morning of me, entering the contamination barn, freely walking around and leaving...with no one saying a word....there was NO security.  
I also took some great pictures of the caregivers of these horses, walking around the general barn area, standing up at the rail, watching horses train, in the same white suits that they were wearing in the isolation barn.  Really, isn't the idea to put the suit on when you enter the barn, remove it when you leave ?  
Anyone that thinks that this is acceptable, well, you must be completely ignorant.

Doesn't sound like even common sense on the part of the barn help, nor did the other stable in your barn going out to train. Any of that stable's horses from your barn going in races today?

I'm having trouble figuring out why the State vet didn't immediately lock down your barn. Surely the State would have that power independent of Hawthorne management, no? Are they not locking down barns at all anymore, and just treating the whole backside as one big barn?

I would also like to say that I've never used the term "willy nilly" in my life.

Sorry, figure of speech that I thought fit the mental picture created by your description of backside activities.

How have other tracks that suffered herpes outbreaks handled things?

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »

Terry,
My husband had a horse in today, but scratched.  We didn't train, instead, we went to speak with the state vet, in which I recorded the conversation.  We questioned why out barn was not on lockdown.  We really didn't feel like we were given good answers.  We asked for the remainder of our horses to be tested.  And, were informed that they didn't really feel it was necessary.  We insisted that the horses that have consistently spiking temperatures.  So, that will be done. 
For the past 2 weeks, we have supplied all of our grooms with rubber gloves to use between horses, new brushes, bleach water (gallons upon gallons of bleach) spray Lysol anti-viral, probably 20 cans so far, to spray own clothing in between horses, literally gallons of hand sanitizer and verbal education and instruction in 2 languages, the importance of using these materials to keep our (ours and their) horses safe.  Our grooms treat their horses like their own, and we appreciate that.
Despite our efforts, this horse contracted and died from this virus.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

Is it safe to assume she contracted it outside of the barn, because of a lack of precautions on the part of others...I think so.  Have they gotten lazy and complacent in regards to this "quarantine", I think so.

I also agree that Jim Miller is a great guy...but he is only one person.....he certainly can't come back and guard a barn.

@ Chris....thank you for the compliment.  We care very much about the people we train for and the horses they entrust us with and it breaks our hearts to have to make the phone call yesterday.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »

Equiforce...   too bad the Hawthorne vs AP argument hijacked this thread for a while and distracted from what is important.  We have 2 horses in the barn next to you and truly appreciate your unselfishness.  I believe this crisis has lasted longer than it had to because other barns put temporary gain ahead of long term stability.

Thank you.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »

Marcus' latest story:

http://www.drf.com/news/hawthorne-sick-horse-euthanized-herpesvirus-test-results-pending

Equiforce I agree people had probably gotten complacent since it had been 18 days. Now the clock starts all over.

Who is going to want to bring horses to Hawthorne Spring if this is dragging on all winter? Who will want to bring horses to AP to mix with all the Illinois horses ?

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »

@beobob
Thank you.  It seems that no matter what safety we ourselves put in place, they are in vain if the show continues to go on.  
Our effort has no chance of success, standing alone.
We have a horse in tomorrow, and as it stands we will be running.  
The other trainers in our barn are running.
The difference is, we have and will continue to use the system we have put in place ( anti-viral sprays, sanitizing EVERYTHING, rubber gloves, bleach water) in hopes that we do not cause the spread of this virus.
We just don't know what else to do at this point.  The other trainers just don't seem to be responding to this recent casualty.
Pal B

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »

Sorry about your loss Equiforce.

Does anyone know if it is posible for a cat to spread the disease? I know they spread it among other cats, but have to wonder if stray cats or any other cats could come into contact with nasal discharge or drink water and then head into another stall? Nothing is out of consideration and sometimes it is a little thing that is overlooked. I'm sure many remember the caterpillar droppings that cost millions in Kentucky.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »

...too bad the Hawthorne vs AP argument hijacked this thread for a while and distracted from what is important. 

That nonsense had to be dealt with. This virus outbreak is a huge concern for ALL local horsemen, and this thread is no place for AP-hugger gamesmanship.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:02 PM »

Im terribly sorry for your loss Equiforce. I would also like to reiterate on a few things about this virus. There are 5 strains of EHV-1. Two of which are of the Rhino variety for which there are vaccines. The other three strains start out as Rhino and turn neurological for which there is NO vaccine. Incubation period is 7 to 21 days at which the most common symptom is low grade fever. The outcome is death or worse to live with nerve damage for life. Nasal swabbing of horses is an ineffective way to determine if the horse as been exposed as upwards of 99 percent carry the rhino virus in the nasal cavity. Bloodwork is the only way to be sure. It is highly contagious and most contamination is achieved horse to horse or horse to human to horse. You must overlook the authorative figure heads on this blog as one would think they would have educated themselves better before putting you thru the third degree. You have been thru enough!

I cannot possibly FEEL SORRY for Jim Miller or management! It has been swept under the rug this whole time and been treated as if this was just a case of the common cold! As of 2 weeks ago Louie Roussell proceeded to move 8 of his horses from an exposed barn (8) to an unexposed barn (5) without ANY thought to the horses in barn 5. I have posted on FB why on earth Hawthorne is not under a FULL quarantine and shut down altogether. At the expense of some innocent animals the ignorant will still try to prosper!!! head shake 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »

It sounds a lot to me like it's horsemen who aren't taking things seriously enough, and not following the rules and guidelines that have been established.

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

It IS possibke for horses to contact this from exposed mice cats birds etc....
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »

In reply to sporthorse about Roussel's horses.   We were told by management to move our horses.  We did not choose to nor did we want to.  We were told by management to move the horses from barn 8 to barn 5 because they needed it as an alternative quarantine barn.   NO HORSES showed any sign of the disease in barn 8.   In the future get the facts straight before you accuse someone.  We had absolutely no choice in this matter.   The idea that we would move horses that had been exposed to the virus to a barn full of horses that had not is ridiculous and slanderous on your part.   

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:29:26 PM by Cory Patton » Report to moderator   Logged
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »

That nonsense had to be dealt with. This virus outbreak is a huge concern for ALL local horsemen, and this thread is no place for AP-hugger gamesmanship.

I cannot possibly FEEL SORRY for Jim Miller or management! It has been swept under the rug this whole time and been treated as if this was just a case of the common cold! As of 2 weeks ago Louie Roussell proceeded to move 8 of his horses from an exposed barn (8) to an

Hmmmmmmm  No response Mr Horsevoice...

You seem to be a giant windsock with varying degrees of concern.

I doubt you have any involvment in horse ownership as well...

I can see why you are blocked by so many posters
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »

Sounds like a lot of bad rumors floating around the backside, too.  Tongue

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »

Well Cory you better recheck that because there were contaminated horses in barn 8. Secondly why on earth would you MOVE horses in a serious quaratine situation?Huh? NUFF SAID!
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2012, 07:44:07 PM »

Barn 8 was turned into an alternative quarantine barn because it was contaminated head shake
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »

Shut Hawthorne down / full quarantine / quarantine all exposed horses into one quadrant of the barn area THAT is the only SURE way to beat this!
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

Shut Hawthorne down / full quarantine / quarantine all exposed horses into one quadrant of the barn area THAT is the only SURE way to beat this!

What is the difference between full quarantine and what they've got now, no horses allowed to leave?

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2012, 07:53:31 PM »

In reply to sporthorse about Roussel's horses.   We were told by management to move our horses.  We did not choose to nor did we want to.  We were told by management to move the horses from barn 8 to barn 5 because they needed it as an alternative quarantine barn.   NO HORSES showed any sign of the disease in barn 8.   In the future get the facts straight before you accuse someone.  We had absolutely no choice in this matter.   The idea that we would move horses that had been exposed to the virus to a barn full of horses that had not is ridiculous and slanderous on your part.   

Slanderous?Huh Make me laugh!  I think Hawthorne has done a great slandering themselves with the handling of this situation!!
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »

What is the difference between full quarantine and what they've got now, no horses allowed to leave?

Because they are still alowing horses to ship in but not ship out! FULL quarantine means no one in no one out!!
Cory Patton

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »

I do not have to recheck anything.  The only horses that were in barn 8 prior to us being moved were our 6 and and Von Hemel's 3 horses.   They moved the horses that were exposed and tested negative several days after we moved.  We sent 16 horses off the grounds October 17 to a VOLUNTARY quarantine at the Fair Grounds and all of our horses tested negative for the  disease and the testinat our expense.   We did not choose to move our horses. The management at Hawthorne told us to move.  We did not choose to move them.  My wife is Roussel's assistant that is how I know what the facts are concerning barn 8.  If you would be so kind Sporthorse please tell me the source of your information and at least have the courage to post under your own name before you accuse us of misdeeds.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2012, 08:03:07 PM »

I cannot possibly FEEL SORRY for Jim Miller or management! It has been swept under the rug this whole time and been treated as if this was just a case of the common cold! As of 2 weeks ago Louie Roussell proceeded to move 8 of his horses from an exposed barn (8) to an

Hmmmmmmm  No response Mr Horsevoice...

You seem to be a giant windsock with varying degrees of concern.

I doubt you have any involvment in horse ownership as well...

I can see why you are blocked by so many posters

Horsevoice is NOT the VOICE of any horse I ever knew sarcasm
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »

I do not have to recheck anything.  The only horses that were in barn 8 prior to us being moved were our 6 and and Von Hemel's 3 horses.   They moved the horses that were exposed and tested negative several days after we moved.  We sent 16 horses off the grounds October 17 to a VOLUNTARY quarantine at the Fair Grounds and all of our horses tested negative for the  disease and the testinat our expense.   We did not choose to move our horses. The management at Hawthorne told us to move.  We did not choose to move them.  My wife is Roussel's assistant that is how I know what the facts are concerning barn 8.  If you would be so kind Sporthorse please tell me the source of your information and at least have the courage to post under your own name before you accuse us of misdeeds.

We were given stalls in Barn 5 (declined) after we were told thatthere were horses moving from a contaminated barn to our barn. To which even further more emphasises the lack of safety and concern on Hawthornes part. Sorry if this is misinformation on the other parties part but it worked out for us any way. We opted NOT to move up there period!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: