Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 06:28:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne  (Read 35164 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: November 30, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

Barn*

Oh, and I think I've announced plenty of times that protocol isn't being followed in our barn, and absolutely NOT just on this thread...yet, it continues....

If the guidelines continue to be merely suggested, and there's no penalty for not following them, no behavior is going to change. They're not mandatory, right?

I don't expect Hawthorne to hire 60 new security guards...but for sure, some that actually do their jobs.  And perhaps in light of the current situation, maybe those guys that they can actually get up and out of their cars or chairs and give THEM a mandatory seminar on proper protocol and they either do "their jobs" and report trainers...have them occasionally WALK the barn area....do SOMETHING.

No horseman is going to put up with a lecture on how to do his job from a temporary $10/hr rent a cop. You wouldn't. Have you asked what duties the existing guards have been given? My guess is just see that horses aren't being moved that shouldn't.

I'm shocked that the dept. of AG hasn't even sent in a field agent or two, randomly to check up that protocol is being followed.

Maybe. But if the protocols aren't mandatory, and you're all confined to that backstretch anyhow ... but maybe now that there's a case downstate this will change?
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: November 30, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »

Correct.
They are not mandatory.

Well, If one or more of my guys was not following protocol that has been put in place, and a 5.00 security guard witnessed it and I was informed.  I would fire the guy.  I respect the fact that security is necessary and if we were called out on not following protocol during a contagious situation, I would have to appreciate that they are on the ball.

But you made. Very good point.  You can't penalise something that isn't mandatory.

Which raises my new question (thank you)...WHY isn't it being made mandatory ?

sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: November 30, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »

Equiforce,

How come the stewards are not more involved w/ this?  They should be keeping a eye on the trainers and barn sanitation ect. instead of the $10 per hour guards.  Oh that's right their busy helping themselves to the free buffet in the turf club.

Sod
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: November 30, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »

Which raises my new question (thank you)...WHY isn't it being made mandatory ?

There's certainly a question for the State vet(s) running things.

You know, it occurs to me there are a lot of other horses in this state, like expensive show/jumping horses, and champion draft horses, and polo ponies, and a zillion quarter horses, and just plain old trail horses, not to mention the harness horses, and so on, and if the owners of these were to somehow get the idea that the disease is being spread to other facilities like Champaign by horsemen or their help not following best practices, they might get on the horn to the Dept of Ag.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: November 30, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »

It's pretty disappointing if it's the case that the President of the ITHA isn't setting an example.

Anyone can talk. Leaders lead not only with what they say, but what they do.  This is very disappointing.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: November 30, 2012, 11:41:48 AM »

You know, it occurs to me there are a lot of other horses in this state, like expensive show/jumping horses, and champion draft horses, and polo ponies, and a zillion quarter horses, and just plain old trail horses, not to mention the harness horses, and so on, and if the owners of these were to somehow get the idea that the disease is being spread to other facilities like Champaign by horsemen or their help not following best practices, they might get on the horn to the Dept of Ag.

That is a great pont that hadn't occurred to me until now.  The loss of even "pet" horses would be devasting to the family.  We lost our dog of 15 years this week, and our grown daughters were (and still are) heartbroken even though they knew it was coming.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: November 30, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

Sod,
The Stewards are our judges.  When a case or a situation comes to their desk, it's their job to rule on it.  They don't have any authority to "police" the barn area.

Hawthorne actually has a fantastic director of Security, who has his (open door) office frontside.  I urge the horsemen to talk to him about their concerns, make suggestions to him, he is always ready to listen.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: November 30, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »

Beobob, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Dale and I have 4 dogs.  Our oldest is 13 and it scares us that he won't be with us for more than a few more years. 

It sounds like your dog scored big time when he went home with your family.  He probably couldn't have had a better life...I'm sure he knew in his doggie world that he was very loved.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: November 30, 2012, 12:09:17 PM »

Beobob, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Dale and I have 4 dogs.  Our oldest is 13 and it scares us that he won't be with us for more than a few more years. 

It sounds like your dog scored big time when he went home with your family.  He probably couldn't have had a better life...I'm sure he knew in his doggie world that he was very loved.

Thanks E.  She was a good one.  Princess wasn't just her name, it was who she was. She had a nice run, stayed alive for our family TGiving (we did it Sunday) so my college son could see her.  My 2 married daughters came back again Monday night to see her, and she died Tuesday morning lying in her favorite morning spot in the sun. The vet used to freak her out so we were glad she went before she started to suffer and we had to take her there.

Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »

At the time of the call there were no detailed guidelines for moving the horses. Now there are, and they require Federal vets on both ends.

This is not totally accurate anymore. The USDA vet trained Hawthorne's state vet in applying federal seals to trailers with departing horses. After the training, the fed vet no longer needs be present if the state vet is there.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: November 30, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »

Doesn't really matter if no other tracks will take us....
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: November 30, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »

its unfortunate for you and others that cant leave but can you really blame other tracks for not allowing horses from here? for over a month now on their overnights its said they wont accept horses from hawthorne but again you cant blame em with how a$ s backwards things have been handled here not to mention is still hasnt been controlled. Im still in disbelief that some horses have been allowed to leave, even if theyre going to another "quarantined" facility.

Ive been a owner for 6+ years now racing here but looking at how this whole situation has been handled it might be the icing on the cake for me wanting to continue to race here next year. Just read we were once again denied outside help which is no surprise considering our state is probaly the most corrupt, the situation at the start of arlington this year was no good and considering what happened then when some of the horsemen/women showed their true colors really shouldnt surprise you how some are acting/handling the current situation now. Sadly the majority of everyone here whether it be the tracks themselves or the horsemen only give a sh1t about numero uno and refuse to work together for the better of ILL racing, which is a total shame because ive met some really good people since getting involved in the business here and they deserve alot better as does ILL racing as a whole.

Doesn't really matter if no other tracks will take us....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:57:01 PM by g3tPWNed_24 » Report to moderator   Logged
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: November 30, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »

maroon

My heart goes out to you E. I cant imagine how frustrating this must be. Ronnie Dill is a friend and he pretty much confirmed that Florida wont let any horses from Illinois come in. My prayers go out for you. I thought I heard Louisiana is following suit.

I was told by a friend that the other horses that this guy has been running were not tested so....russian roulette anyone??

Also my other friend said she kept a log of all temps morning and evening and thought that everyone was following the same protocol. As we well know now their are several trainers who are not following any sort of protocol.
                    On another note Oaklawns racing office has callled FP and asking for horses figuring with Hawthornes crisis they will be short 200 to 300 horses...
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: November 30, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »

maroon

Does anyone remember back in the day when all horses temps were taken before training and the temps were written on the stall for the trainer to see before the horse ever went to the track?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: November 30, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

Gt3,
It was a bad situation at Arlington.
We talked to our owners prior to entering and they all supported us in not entering opening weekend.  And like the others, we had races picked out...

When the overnights came out....we were literally sick when the overnights came out...Nd some of the same trainers calling us, telling us to stand together...had entered.

It is what it is.

As far as the track not taking us, right now, it's Tampa, Gulfstream, Oaklawn and Fairgrounds...that I know of....I'm sure the rest will follow if the question comes up.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: November 30, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »

Sporthorse, yes, I do. 

We don't do that anymore either, but feed tubs that have feed leftover are never cleaned before Dale gets there so that h can see if anyone is off their feed....

I'm not saying that they should go back to that...very dependable practice...but at the very least...notice things....if a horse hasnt eaten up or has full water pails, investigate little.  Half of these guys just tack them up and hang them on the wall.  Our groom are allowed to rub 4 only.  That way thy don't get in a hurry.  Occasionally, if there an odd horse, the grooms with the best time management skills can pick up an extra. 

I can't say that I was surprised at our guys reactions when that filly died, because they have been with us a long time.  All of them.  But I was surprised at how strongly they felt and how upset they really were.  From day one, they have been really diligent in disinfecting. Not sharing brushes between horses.  Constantly spraying Lysol on clothes, rub rags, everything.  I'm very, very proud of my men.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: November 30, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »

I can't say that I was surprised at our guys reactions when that filly died, because they have been with us a long time.  All of them.  But I was surprised at how strongly they felt and how upset they really were.  From day one, they have been really diligent in disinfecting. Not sharing brushes between horses.  Constantly spraying Lysol on clothes, rub rags, everything.  I'm very, very proud of my men.

Every group or organization regardless of size, always takes of the personality of their leader.  It comes as no surprise that your crew is driven to do the right thing.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: November 30, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »

Thank you very much.

I am quite proud of our stable, as anyone can probably tell. 

And I agree, 100%
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: November 30, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »

Sod,
The Stewards are our judges.  When a case or a situation comes to their desk, it's their job to rule on it.  They don't have any authority to "police" the barn area.

Hawthorne actually has a fantastic director of Security, who has his (open door) office frontside.  I urge the horsemen to talk to him about their concerns, make suggestions to him, he is always ready to listen.

That's the way they normally operate, but I think they probably have the authority to expand their role if they choose to do so.  However, they probably don't feel it's their place to get involved in managing the backstretch on a health issue, and they may not want to take responsibility for such a mess anyway.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »

Equiforce congrats on the filly she raced good a better trip and your in the winners circle.....hopefully you get another start before the end of the year......
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »

Thanks Match.
She's a really sweet filly.  I like her a lot.  She sure tries.

Didn't like running her back so soon, so if we are able to squeak one more in, it will be at the very end.

Smiley
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »

Has anyone heard and/or can confirm that Don Milones also had a horse strickened with the virus this week. 
Is this just a rumour ?
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: November 30, 2012, 10:40:33 PM »

Has anyone heard and/or can confirm that Don Milones also had a horse strickened with the virus this week. 
Is this just a rumour ?

Is there a Millonas horse in K-2?

How many horses are in there now?

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: November 30, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »

I don't know how many horses are in K-2 right now.  I know we have 3, the same ones that tested pos. when ginger was put down.  And that same day, reavis' filly was moved over there.  But I've had a couple of people message me saying that he had to put a horse down.  Dale heard the same thing at the track today.  I was wondering if anyone had a way to confirm this.
RacetrackRailbird

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: December 01, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »

The Stewards are our judges. 

Well wait, according to you, $5-an-hour rent-a-cops are your judges:

Well, If one or more of my guys was not following protocol that has been put in place, and a 5.00 security guard witnessed it and I was informed.  I would fire the guy. 

You and others like you are the reasons why nobody cares about Hawthorne!!!!

If Hawthorne was entombed tomorrow, horse racing wouldn't miss it.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: