Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 03:19:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is nothing being done at Hawthorne  (Read 34852 times)
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: November 18, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »

Brivoita,
I cannot tell you how happy I am to get this news !  We saw Steve today, and he really is a trooper.  Hopefully things will continue to be on the improve.

We are hopeful for both fillies.  Please continue to inform the forum firsthand.  It is so important to keep the rumors at bay.

Best of luck.

As of 7 o clock this morning my filly is fine. No fever or anything. Steve said its possible she just had a bug but obviously they had to assume it was the ehv virus.

He also said Joti is doing much better. This is amazing news considering Friday morning he told me she would be dead by the end of the day.

Hopefully the reports will stay positive!
Report to moderator   Logged
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: November 18, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »

That's great news, I hope things go the same for all the other connections!!!!
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »

That's great news so glad she's better!
But make them go slow please !
Once their immune system is compermizef stress can open the door for every kind of virus or infection go slow never be in a hurry patients will always give you rewards in the end.
Good luck with all your decisions putting the horse first.
Horses are amazing the greatest thrills and happiness they will bring and the greatest heartbreaks and disappointments do right by her and she will do right by u!

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »

That's great news so glad she's better!
But make them go slow please !
Once their immune system is compermizef stress can open the door for every kind of virus or infection go slow never be in a hurry patients will always give you rewards in the end.
Good luck with all your decisions putting the horse first.
Horses are amazing the greatest thrills and happiness they will bring and the greatest heartbreaks and disappointments do right by her and she will do right by u!

Thanks fuzzy. I can tell you that based on what Steve has said (some of which I've posted and some I haven't) I feel confident he will not send her to te track until he's ready to go. I've always liked having Steve as her trainer but this week I have seen a side of Steve that has been unbelievably impressive. I can assure you that his first concern is the health of his horses, and racing and training are the last thing he's worried about.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: November 18, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »

Thanks fuzzy. I can tell you that based on what Steve has said (some of which I've posted and some I haven't) I feel confident he will not send her to te track until he's ready to go. I've always liked having Steve as her trainer but this week I have seen a side of Steve that has been unbelievably impressive. I can assure you that his first concern is the health of his horses, and racing and training are the last thing he's worried about.
U have a very good trainer!
A man like that isso important!
I've even had them come to me and say I can't charge you this or that cause I want to take my time that means they care!

pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2012, 02:40:42 PM »

Great news!   Let's hope it gets cleared up for everyone at Hawthorne soon.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2012, 05:48:03 PM »

I met with a very nice man this morning , Dennis Taylor.  He is the Director of Security @ Hawthorne.  I was really, really impressed with his genuine desire to create (which he did today), and maintain a safe, secure quarantine barn. He put in place the same rules in which they had in place during the original outbreak in barn A.  No one is allowed to enter the quarantine ran unless they are on the list.  Proper attire will be worn while in the barn. Disinfecting measures will be enforced.  A security guard will be in place, 24/7. 
I obviously think this is step in the right direction and appreciate Mr. Taylor's time and efforts. 
There was also the first of what we hope are several mini seminars teaching the stable employees how to protect the horses by disinfecting constantly, hand sanitizing, using gloves, not entering other barns, etc.  This was my husbands suggestion 2 weeks ago, but was only organized after his meeting with Mr. Carey, Mr. Miller and the "state vet", yesterday morning.

I still FIRMLY believe, as do a lot of other trainers that racing and training are the only way to shut this virus down in its tracks. ( which, is everywhere). The Center for Disease Control says....ELIMINATE MOVEMENT.   Shut down places the virus has been known to have visited...example:  barn E....but I don't believe that is going to happen.   So, at least we have helped to made some positive changes, simply by using our voices. 

The positive horses, owners and trainers affected by this are in our thoughts. 
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »

Such simple sterile rules!   Lucky your husband has a brain in his head to get it going!  Way too late, but better now than never.

My thoughts are with the positive horses and connections as well.  It sure is nice of you to keep people updated.  And especially now, with better news.
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »

I finally have the opportunity to discuss this topic. I understand the pain that goes into losing a horse that you never got to see their real potential, I really do without going into specifics.  I really think people are missing the point and their thoughts are misguided. Shutting down racing right now would be so deterimental that Illinois racing probably couldn't rebound.

Hell, look at a guy like Jimmy Divito and just think how long it is gonna take him to recover from this, not only has he not been able to run, but he has 30 horses that have to be getting charged full day rate without the opportunity to earn a friggin penny. And those horses have missed what, 30 days of training now, so they are 45 days from racing. Imagine the owners in that situation, someone's ass is gonna get a piece out of it, and it will probably be Divitos. Imagine if that happened to all trainers, which is basically what some are asking with a racing shutdown.

Its a delicate balance, and decisions have to be made. These animals still need to eat, and some of them are able to eat based on the races they run.

Like alot of other people here, we have a horse on the backstretch and obviously very concerned about it. She should be on a NOLA farm right now enjoying the sunshine for two months and now she is probably gonna experience a winter and freezing temps cause with the recent breakout, we won't be leaving until first of the year probably. We have been fortunate and haven't shown any signs of the virus and our trainers crew has gone the extra mile to have a constant watch on the horses in our trainers care.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »

Again....the CDC says that when you have a contagious virus, you have to stop movement.
I don't agree that racing won't recover if racing shuts down for 2 weeks, and the horses remain in the barns under a TRUE quarantine.  Maybe then, they will be able to get a hold of this virus.  Remember, the second flock of outbreaks did not occur until "someone" decided to start moving sick horses around.  As long as there is racing and claiming and horses playing Musical Barns, this will continue to hit barn after barn.  It's common sense.  I'd rather take 14-21 days NOW, then have this drag on for another 2 months. 
Do you think Hawthorne will recover and horses will want to ship in for the spring meet unless this is under control NOW or very soon.  Would you want to ship in to a track that had recently had a deadly virus ?  Oh, and how would you feel, if someone claimed a horse that just had 3 positive tests and placed it next to your horse. 
Additionally, if there are horses here or anywhere that are fed based on their ability to pay for their own feed, the trainer should not be training. 
Is this going to be difficult to lose racing short term, of course.  But I would like to think that the Horsemen would or once band together and help a fellow horsemen.
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »

Again....the CDC says that when you have a contagious virus, you have to stop movement.
I don't agree that racing won't recover if racing shuts down for 2 weeks, and the horses remain in the barns under a TRUE quarantine.  Maybe then, they will be able to get a hold of this virus.  Remember, the second flock of outbreaks did not occur until "someone" decided to start moving sick horses around.  As long as there is racing and claiming and horses playing Musical Barns, this will continue to hit barn after barn.  It's common sense.  I'd rather take 14-21 days NOW, then have this drag on for another 2 months. 
Do you think Hawthorne will recover and horses will want to ship in for the spring meet unless this is under control NOW or very soon.  Would you want to ship in to a track that had recently had a deadly virus ?  Oh, and how would you feel, if someone claimed a horse that just had 3 positive tests and placed it next to your horse. 
Additionally, if there are horses here or anywhere that are fed based on their ability to pay for their own feed, the trainer should not be training. 
Is this going to be difficult to lose racing short term, of course.  But I would like to think that the Horsemen would or once band together and help a fellow horsemen.

Any point that is made regarding this issue can be argued till the sun don't shine, which is why I stated its a delicate balance of decisions that hopefully get to what EVERYONE wants and thats to be able to leave.

But for my own curiousity, I'd like to know how much you think it would cost trainers for 2 weeks of non-training, how much it costs to just feed say 15 animals for two weeks? 2 weeks of no training is really 4 weeks of no running because if horses don't leave the barn for two weeks, they are not running for another 2 weeks, and that is some gypsy operation stuff right there.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »

At the very least, common sense says you don't take a horse claimed from a barn that has been infected and bring it into a heretofore "clean" barn. A barn should have been designated as a "claimed barn" and those claimed horses kept separate until they were given a clean bill of health.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »

For the cost of 2-4 weeks of no training, for a 15 horse stable

It could cost as much as losing 1 horse, 1 CHEAP horse to this virus.

If the cost of shutting my own income down for 2weeks were to save the life of even my stable pony, I would be more than happy to take the loss.....

You really can't put a price tag on the potential to save even 1 horse.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »

@Beobob
My husband made has made that suggestion....so, I agree with your idea.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:17 PM »

Again Equiforce, I know I am speaking for many when I thank you for your leadership in this. Leaders rise in times of adversity and when they were needed most our leaders failed us.  Leaders don't need titles, they are apparent by their actions.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »

Whoa, so well said.
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

If the cost of shutting my own income down for 2weeks were to save the life of even my stable pony, I would be more than happy to take the loss.....

If passion and compassion paid the bills, we would all be living on easy street and life would be easy. I congratulate yourself for being in the financial position to take such a loss. Unfortunately, not all those vendors that have businesses to run have that compassion.
Chris Szulc

« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »

Has any inquiry been made into the horse that went from the Divito Barn to Domenosky for the same owner (no claim)? It ran last the other day beaten 50+ lengths of something... I think DaPaver brought this up in the other thread. The name of the horse escapes me right now.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: November 18, 2012, 10:32:38 PM »

@ Chris.....I can tell you that the horse wasn't moved into the quarantine barn.  So, that's definitely good news.  I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

@scav.....you make money, when you don't jip your horses and place them where they are competitive.   
I don't believe I alluded to my financial situation to you or anyone else.  I was putting the life of even my stable pony above 2 weeks of income. 

Maybe, just maybe more passion AND compassion needs to creep back in to this industry...

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »

And thank you very much Beo and Pam.  Seems like most of the time the numbers standing up for what is right....are very small......
However, the greed just keeps growing and growing
Chris Szulc

« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:27 PM »

@ Chris.....I can tell you that the horse wasn't moved into the quarantine barn.  So, that's definitely good news.  I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

Well thats good, but I thought all of DiVito's were in the original barn that was quarantined (whether really quarantined or not). There was the issue of how did that horse get out and change barns if all of Divitos were in the first barn quarantined?

Unless they have been reintroduced to the full horse population through some measure I must have missed.

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: November 18, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »

Humpf, that's interesting.
Is it possible she was given the horse prior to all of this and it just hadn't run for a while ?  Now, you've got me curious.....one thing I've learned these past 2 weeks...at Hawthorne, anything goes...so, I'm gonna ask around...
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »

I luv and admire and share your passion if every one in racing shared your love this industry would have full grandstands !
Keep on the course you are awesome!

Chris Szulc

« Reply #273 on: November 18, 2012, 11:37:39 PM »

Humpf, that's interesting.
Is it possible she was given the horse prior to all of this and it just hadn't run for a while ?  Now, you've got me curious.....one thing I've learned these past 2 weeks...at Hawthorne, anything goes...so, I'm gonna ask around...

Yeah it's possible. Only though the owner stayed the same and has other horses with DiVito (and to my knowledge, only DiVito) so why would just this one change trainers at such a suspicious time? And it was training at Hawthorne the whole time, no works at KEE or anything. just peculiar...
DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:54 AM »

Jewelia Anne is her name , That is what I was wondering . The trainer change from out of the DiVito barn?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: