Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 02:09:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quarantine may be lifted soon???  (Read 1546 times)
dano-themano

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »

We are shipping this weekend to Hawthorne and have made arrangements to leave the horses at the track, given the quarantine.

In reading Marcus' latest article from the 13th, it appears that there are no new herpes cases in 18 (now 19) days and if I understand correctly, the plan is to exit the quarantine after 28 days with no new cases.

Per DRF: "Dr. Dawn Folker-Calderon, the Illinois state veterinarian working at Hawthorne, said that the Department of Agriculture has tentative plans to lift shipping restrictions if 28 days pass without any new EHV-
1 cases."

Does anyone else read this as the quarantine may well be over within 10 days?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:58:09 AM by dano-themano » Report to moderator   Logged
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »

The quarantine is unlikely to be lifted soon as there was another fatality this morning.  And another horse from the same barn, with a different trainer was re-located to the symptomatic barn. 
This is not a rumor.  The fatality occurred in our barn.  It was our 200,000. Horse that perished. 
Please do yourself and your horse a favor, do not ship in.  Even if you do NOT plan to ship back out.  This is a very bad situation at Hawthorne. 
Report to moderator   Logged
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »

It's going to be a very long winter for the horses and horsemen at Hawthorne.  My condolences on the loss of your horse.  I would hope that the state will finally step in and do what is necessary to make every possible effort to control the spread of this disease. I understand there are many jobs at stake as well as lots of money but without the horses the show doesn't go on.  It's about time that everyone is treated fairly and equally. That means the large outfits should not be given special treatment and each and every vet should be required to file a report on every horse under their care until this terrible situation is resolved.
I too have had sick horses and my only concern is to give them the proper care they so richly deserve.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:06:24 PM by Chartwell » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »

Steve, what special treatment is being given? I sure agree on that! Esp if it is endangering other horses.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »

It's plain and simple.  They did not "quarantine" properly from the beginning.  For instance....grooms, unable to conceive the importance of bio-chemical contamination, going from barn to barn, maybe visiting a friend, wife, etc...blacksmiths, without the proper bio-hazardous clothing, going from barn to barn, in close contact with horse after horse, never knowing that they even posed a threat.  Vets, pre-race treating horses, without de-sanitizing between barns and without gloves.  Feed and hay delivery guys, making their deliveries, hanging out,chatting, petting one of the horses, then heading to the next barn.  AGENTS, JOCKEYS, going  from barn to barn, having contact with horses and trainers that have handled multiple horses.  Should I go on, or is everyone getting the point ?  The very instant the first horse was diagnosed, the infected barn should have been "for real quarantined" , no exceptions.  This was a preventable event.   This virus is an extremely, highly contagious disease.  It should ave been treated as such, and not a mere inconvenience so that the she can go on for Hawthorne. 
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »

* so that the show can go on for Hawthorne.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »

I don't usually use this phrase, but OH MY GOD.  Even I would know when there is something that big happening, that is bad business.  How could they have allowed all those people in with those horses without the proper gear and sanitation rules.  Unbelievable.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »

You reach a point where drastic measures are required, due to drastic circumstances. 
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »

Agreed.  I just don't understand how horses were allowed to change barns, through claiming, through the track.  A quarantine is, plain and simple complete isolation.  That did not happen.  This is not over.  More horses will suffer.
And it is horrible.  We are very, very thankful that this was not a long, lingering situation for our horse.
Why are we speaking out, in this forum, when we have never , ever gotten on here before...we are so, so sick, of tracks using stalls as a weapon against trainers.  Compliance=stalls....sorry, no can do...not this time. 
People are so afraid, that they will be punished by the tracks by speaking out...we are allowing it to be their weapon.  One day, when we finally stand together...things could possibly change.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »

I totally admire you for it.  The horses should come first.
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »

Thank you Pam.  There comes a time when horsemen have to speak out.  Even if it means next year...they won't get stalls....this..is the time...
sparky

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »

Every trainer, regardless of how many horses they train, should be treated equally.  I know that doesn't always happen.  And just like the track/management can use the stalls as a weapon, I have seen the bigger trainers pull the same card.  Refusing to enter/threatening to move to another track if they are granted some special treatment.  A prime example is the contaminated horse in your barn being allowed to stay there and not be properly reported. 
I have heard a few stories about horses being snuck out of the detention barn, a trainer trying to sneek another off the grounds, etc...PLEASE keep in mind that these are rumors I have heard.  No way shape or form do I even know if this is true.  We can only hope its not.  But if its true and was swept under the rug for the simple fact that it was a big barn/trainer...is bullshit.
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »

Oftentimes rumors are true. Maybe now that a valuable horse has lost it's life something will be done.  The state of Illinois racing is beyond sad.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

Taking nothing away from the owners of the horse lost yesterday, they are all valuable or we would not have them on the track.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »

Taking nothing away from the owners of the horse lost yesterday, they are all valuable or we would not have them on the track.

They're all valuable to someone.

Which raises the question: If the quarantine rules and regulations that were allegedly put in place to begin with were either, a) not really put in place, b) not being enforced, c) not being followed by horsemen, d) being enforced for some but not others, e) skirted by vets, f) other, or g) any combination of the above, why did it take the death of an expensive horse for someone on the backside to speak up about it?

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »

We have 2 horses in the next barn over from where this latest fatality occurred.  Every time I see our trainer's name on the caller ID I'm expecting to hear the worst.  I commend Equiforce and his/her effort.  I was at the last ITHA general meeting, and the state vet who spoke pulled no punches as far as the seriousness of this disease and how quickly it can spread.  It is inconceivable (yes, a Princess Bride reference) that claimed horses were moving from barn to barn, that is negligent behavior by any measure.

Alan12378

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 12:31:23 PM »

latest from Marcus on twitter:

Two new potential EHV-1 cases at Hawthorne, one a death. Test results not back until later today or tomorrow. Story coming soon.

https://twitter.com/DRFHersh/status/269130019815706624
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »

@terry. 
The value of the horse is really not the issue. I should have been more clear about our position on that particularity.  For us, our stable ponies get treated the same as our stakes horses which are treat the same as our 5k horses.
Put that to bed.
You make a good point tho...why aren't people talking about it more openly.
Because they are afraid.  They have homes here, children in school, roots.  They are afraid to stir the pot.  They are afraid that they will be punished later down the road by diminished stalls, losing secondary jobs (working for the track)
However, we decided it was more important to inform people and give them the opportunity to make informed decisions on behalf of their horses. That definitely outweighed our fear of repercussions.
sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »

Equiforce,

Thank you for speaking up about this and much sadness for your loss.  What is the ITHA doing about the situation?  Haw. and the horsemen need to think long term and not just about making a quick  dollar.  Perhaps racing should be cancelled until this issue is properly resolved.  The trainers are going to need to take a stand sometime soon if procedures don't change and stop filling races.

Best Wishes,
Sod
Chris Szulc

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »

How much would it take to get the entire horse population tested? Hasn't this already been done?

Is it possible to shut down racing and training for 2 weeks (yes, I realize that would be drastic economically to a lot of people but could be made up with going back to 5 days/week), test the horse population, remove the positives to a TRUE quarantine barn, re-test again and again, removing any additional positives until the entire non-quarantined population is negative? What's wrong with that idea? (unless it's the testing...?)
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »

How much would it take to get the entire horse population tested? Hasn't this already been done?

Evidently, as much as 30% of the horse population harbors herpesvirus without becoming symptomatic. Blanket testing therefore will trigger more "false" positives than useful ones. I've twice been told in this outbreak that full-backstretch testing would accomplish little.

re-test again and again, removing any additional positives until the entire non-quarantined population is negative?

This essentially is what's happening now - isolating segments of the population.

DaPaver

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »

Here is one example that concerns me, Jewelia Anne entered on Saturday , previously trained by Jimmy DiVito for one of his long time owners, now trained by someone else. Is there anyone watching the changing of trainers! I have no problem with either of the trainers or owner , by why the change during this time .?
Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »

Horses are being claimed and moving from barn to barn.

@chris, I completely agree.  However, there is no chance of that happening as the almighty dollar rules, EVERYTIME.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »

Horses are being claimed and moving from barn to barn.

@chris, I completely agree.  However, there is no chance of that happening as the almighty dollar rules, EVERYTIME.

So why don't the horsemen just keep all their horses in the barn and not enter?

Equiforce

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »

That's a good one.  First of all, you need UNITY. 
Second, what do you think would happen if 7-8 of the larger stables did just that, what do you suppose the smaller outfits will do ?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: